Basic Fresh Install - Directory Error?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
roverlife

Basic Fresh Install - Directory Error?

Post by roverlife » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:04 pm

Following the basic quick install on a brand new website (only action taken so far is installing the basic wordpress docs). After updating permissions as requested, I am getting "No input file specified." on the install tab.

Is the following directory once you click the INSTALL tab correct? Doesn't seem so...

http://mywebsite.com/phpBB3/install/app.php/install

Only slightly odd thing I notice is that with my new Linux hosting server, I only get two categories for permissions "owner" and "web user"... In the past I'm used to getting three categories. I did recently (yesterday) update the hosting to PHP 5.6, but that shouldn't matter.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Basic Fresh Install - Directory Error?

Post by stevemaury » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:07 pm

When you say "basic quick install on a brand new website", do you mean you use a host-provided one-click installation tool? Because we do not support those. If you want to download our files and install in the usual manner, we can help.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

roverlife

Post by roverlife » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:19 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:07 pm
When you say "basic quick install on a brand new website", do you mean you use a host-provided one-click installation tool? Because we do not support those. If you want to download our files and install in the usual manner, we can help.
Not expecting a one-click installation here or looking for shortcuts. Just referring to the fact that this is a fresh slate I'm working with.. I am following the instructions of the provided user manual.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:28 pm

How did you install your board. Did you use files downloaded from here? If so, what is a "basic quick install"? Can we get a real link to your board?

roverlife

Post by roverlife » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:38 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:28 pm
How did you install your board. Did you use files downloaded from here? If so, what is a "basic quick install"? Can we get a real link to your board?
Apologies, I suppose I should have said that I am following the Quick Start installation guide. I downloaded all files from here and am following the provided documentation.

vanlife.guru/phpBB3
This is the folder which all the phpBB 3.2 files have been uploaded and I'm getting the directory error. I did update permissions as directed following the Quick Start Guide.

It is of interesting note that I am not getting any errors when testing out whether or not the phpBB 3.1 installation prompts work.
vanlife.guru/phpBB1 is the 3.1 file directory and it prompts the INSTALL tab just fine. I'd prefer to use 3.2 if I don't have some kind of requirement deficiency going on here with my host.
Last edited by roverlife on Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:51 pm

All I am getting for those links is "Page not found" errors with a reference to Wordpress, no idea what Wordpress has to do with anything.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

roverlife

Post by roverlife » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:17 pm

david63 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:51 pm
All I am getting for those links is "Page not found" errors with a reference to Wordpress, no idea what Wordpress has to do with anything.
Can you try it again copy/pasting in the link above without using the direct link? Should work.

Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:31 am

I went to your site, clicked on the License tab and it’s all about Wordpress..

Can you screenshot where you uploaded your files and show us the files in your forum’s directory?

Thanks
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

roverlife

Post by roverlife » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:53 am

I uploaded both version 3.1 (folder phpBB1) and version 3.2 (folder phpBB3) as seen here into the directory "vanlife" which is the root directory for the website vanlife.guru ... As I mentioned, I followed both Quick Start installation instructions for both versions and am still only getting the 3.1 version to work for me. Appreciate any help!

Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:14 am

I would say try uploading the files with a FTP program.
Knowledge Base - FTP

Thanks
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

roverlife

Post by roverlife » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:37 am

Turns out this is a GoDaddy specific issue. Should have input better search terms originally before posting... apparently there are some helpful possible fixes out there, like adding a bit of code to your GoDaddy php.ini or .htaccess file depending on what type of server they have you on. Unfortunately neither of those fixes worked for me in the end so I ended up finally ditching GoDaddy after 15 years and switching to BlueHost. Surprised to find BlueHost's file manager basically to be a flop (many errors during uploading the phpBB files), but now am working with FileZilla connected to BlueHost and have a fully installed and functioning version of phpBB 3.2. Thanks for the headache GoDaddy! Exhausted.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:12 am

Every host's File Manager is a flop. Don't use them.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”