Questions about phpbb 3.2 basic features

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
WWu777

Questions about phpbb 3.2 basic features

Post by WWu777 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:14 pm

Dear support,
I have a few questions about phpbb 3.2's features.

1. Is phpbb 3.2 mobile friendly? Do you have to install a separate theme for mobile apps? Like you did with previous versions?

2. Can phpbb 3.2 resize large images automatically to fit the window? Or do yo have to install a mod again for that?

3. I don't see any quick reply feature at the bottom of this forum. Does phpbb 3.2 no longer have it? If so why?

4. Does phpbb 3.2 come with YouTube and Vimeo bbc codes? Or do you have to set them up again?

5. How do you change the color theme of Prosilver? I tried to use the Colorize it thingy but it doesn't work. It keeps giving you error messages when you try to download it after changing the colors. Do you have to edit a lot of files again to change the theme?

6. Where is the DB styles demo? It's gone. That was very helpful. Why a change for the worse?

7. If I have ad codes I need to insert into the forum, does phpbb 3.2 have the same files to edit, such as overall header, viewforum body, index body, etc? Is it just as easy to insert ad codes?

8. I heard that RECAPTCHA version 1 will no longer be supported by Google. Does phpbb 3.2 include RECAPTCHA 2?

9. Finally, if I have a database table that keeps getting corrupted, even after I fix it over and over again, will this problem carry over to phpbb 3.2? Or will the new version automatically reset all the tables so they are no longer corrupt?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Questions about phpbb 3.2 basic features

Post by KevC » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:17 pm

WWu777 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:14 pm
1. Is phpbb 3.2 mobile friendly?
Yes. Prosilver based styles are responsive out of the box.
WWu777 wrote:
2. Can phpbb 3.2 resize large images automatically to fit the window?
Yes [img] tagged images will resize.
WWu777 wrote:
3. I don't see any quick reply feature at the bottom of this forum. Does phpbb 3.2 no longer have it? If so why?
You haven't turned it on.
ACP > General > post settings > Allow quick reply:
WWu777 wrote:
4. Does phpbb 3.2 come with YouTube and Vimeo bbc codes?
That's getting a bit old fashioned now.

Install this extension and they will automatically be parsed when you post the link
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ediaembed/
WWu777 wrote:
5. How do you change the color theme of Prosilver?
viewtopic.php?f=591&t=2413816
WWu777 wrote:
6. Where is the DB styles demo? It's gone. That was very helpful. Why a change for the worse?
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styles-2
Each style has a demo tab which shows you what it looks like
WWu777 wrote:
7. If I have ad codes I need to insert into the forum, does phpbb 3.2 have the same files to edit, such as overall header, viewforum body, index body, etc? Is it just as easy to insert ad codes?
Those files still exist but I think most use an extension which I can't put my finger on at the moment.
WWu777 wrote:
8. I heard that RECAPTCHA version 1 will no longer be supported by Google. Does phpbb 3.2 include RECAPTCHA 2?
That's what it says on the features page
https://www.phpbb.com/about/features/
WWu777 wrote:
9. Finally, if I have a database table that keeps getting corrupted, even after I fix it over and over again, will this problem carry over to phpbb 3.2? Or will the new version automatically reset all the tables so they are no longer corrupt?
That's more likely to be a hosting issue
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:19 pm

1. phpBB prosilver is responsive.

3. It's still a feature. We don't have it on in most of our forums as most of our forums are for support and not chat.

4. Does phpbb 3.2 come with YouTube and Vimeo bbc codes? Or do you have to set them up again?

6. Under the Customize menu above is https://www.phpbb.com/styles/ --> https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... r/demo/3.2

7. There's an extension(we no longer suggest "mods" to core files): https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/ads/

8. Yes, Recaptcha 2.0 is the version 3.2 supports
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:19 pm

KevC wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:17 pm
WWu777 wrote:
4. Does phpbb 3.2 come with YouTube and Vimeo bbc codes?
That's getting a bit old fashioned now.

Install this extension and they will automatically be parsed when you post the link
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ediaembed/
You mean you have to install a mod? How's that different from an extension? Can't you just copy and paste bb codes again?

What do you mean parse? Does that mean the video will be embedded? I don't want videos automatically embedded unless the user decides they want to do that. I would like it to be an option. That way not too many videos get embedded which slows down the page load.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:33 pm

The vimeo and YouTube BBCodes embedded the video. That was the point. The videos will not play unless the users chooses to do so. That was true of the BBCodes, too.

There are no Mods anymore. Extensions do not involve edits to core code and so are not affected by updates.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:35 pm

So an extension is just some files you upload and turn on? Easy and simple? Will they have to be removed upon future upgrades again? That's what I hate about add ons. They have to be removed in future upgrades or else they may cause a conflict.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:55 pm

You shouldn't need to remove anything.

Extensions are far far better than MODs because there is no coding involved on 'your' part.
You upload a folder, click install and you're done. All of the files used by the extension are separate to the core files. Much better than MODs.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:27 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:33 pm
The vimeo and YouTube BBCodes embedded the video. That was the point. The videos will not play unless the users chooses to do so. That was true of the BBCodes, too.

There are no Mods anymore. Extensions do not involve edits to core code and so are not affected by updates.
Are there BBCodes that will embed any YouTube URL? The thing is, YouTube URL's come in many forms. There are shortened URL's and ones with weird strings in them, and some with "t=" in them to start at a specific time. The BBCodes I've seen here only embed YouTube URL's in a very specific strict format, with only the "?watch=" part after the domain name. Is there a code or extension that will embed any form of YouTube URL?

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:29 pm

KevC wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:55 pm
You shouldn't need to remove anything.

Extensions are far far better than MODs because there is no coding involved on 'your' part.
You upload a folder, click install and you're done. All of the files used by the extension are separate to the core files. Much better than MODs.
Oh cool. So an extension won't conflict with future versions of phpbb? They can last forever then with no conflicts? :) I"ll keep my fingers crossed. :) Hard to predict the future as you know.

Is there a list of extensions I can look at? Are they all hosted on this site? Or third party sites?

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:32 pm

Two more questions.

1. Will phpbb 3.2 modify the database so that it runs smoother? Will it have less database problems or corruption than before? I'm not sure what causes database tables to be corrupt. But will they be less with phpbb 3.2? It looks like they will use the same database. Hopefully it will modify the database to be smoother and more efficient and have less errors.

2. Will phpbb 3.2 work with my forum sitemap here?

http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/sitemap.php

Is a sitemap even necessary anymore?

Thanks.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:52 pm

WWu777 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:27 pm
Are there BBCodes that will embed any YouTube URL?
As you have been told, no BBCode is required. This extension will do that - https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ediaembed/

There is no guarantee that extensions will work with every future major version of phpBB, however, they should work with all updates.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:53 pm

WWu777 wrote:
Is there a code or extension that will embed any form of YouTube URL?
Yes. The one I linked in the first reply.

You just paste the link straight from the browser address bar and it does the rest. No BBcode needed.
WWu777 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:29 pm
Oh cool. So an extension won't conflict with future versions of phpbb?
Hopefully that's the idea yes but it depends what the extension does.
WWu777 wrote:
Is there a list of extensions I can look at? Are they all hosted on this site? Or third party sites?
Click the customise tab at the top of this page and look in the extensions DB.

There is a database update for 3.2.x but issues with tables are usually due to hosting not the phpBB software.

No idea on sitemaps. Never used them. They're not so relevant with forums because they work better with static pages, which forums aren't.
Cheap UK Hosting

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:54 pm

WWu777 wrote:
So an extension won't conflict with future versions of phpbb?
There are no guarantees that all extensions will always work with all future versions of phpBB.
WWu777 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:32 pm
Is a sitemap even necessary anymore?
A sitemap has never been necessary for a "normal" phpBB installation.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:01 pm

KevC wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:53 pm
WWu777 wrote:
Is there a code or extension that will embed any form of YouTube URL?
Yes. The one I linked in the first reply.

You just paste the link straight from the browser address bar and it does the rest. No BBcode needed.
WWu777 wrote:
Oh cool. So an extension won't conflict with future versions of phpbb?
Hopefully that's the idea yes but it depends what the extension does.
WWu777 wrote:
Click the customise tab at the top of this page and look in the extensions DB.

There is a database update for 3.2.x but issues with tables are usually due to hosting not the phpBB software.

No idea on sitemaps. Never used them. They're not so relevant with forums because they work better with static pages, which forums aren't.
You mean that extension will automatically embed all YouTube URL's? I don't want that though. I want it to be an option to embed them or just post as normal links.

I did live chat with my webhost today. They said their servers are all fine at their end so it must be with the forum software or database. What did you expect them to say? They always say that.

Does Bluehost and phpbb have known incompatibility issues?

That sitemap I have is for dynamic pages because an automated script automatically adds all new forum posts to the sitemap so search engines can eat it up fast.

Without a sitemap, will Google index all new posts everyday? Or will it take a while to be indexed?

Thanks.

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:13 pm

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitemaps
Sitemaps are particularly beneficial on websites where:

some areas of the website are not available through the browsable interface
webmasters use rich Ajax, Silverlight, or Flash content that is not normally processed by search engines.
The site is very large and there is a chance for the web crawlers to overlook some of the new or recently updated content
When websites have a huge number of pages that are isolated or not well linked together, or
When a website has few external links
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”