dot prior to cookie domain

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Kyavion

dot prior to cookie domain

Post by Kyavion » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:51 pm

I was reviewing the page on Cookie domains and the second example says a dot is NOT placed prior to the domain. I'm having trouble understanding when a dot would and would not be placed?

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... -settings/

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: dot prior to cookie domain

Post by Mick » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:04 pm

The KB does explain that but if you post a link to your board I can look at your cookie settings.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.
Forza Garibaldi

Kyavion

Post by Kyavion » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:10 am

Sorry. Total greenhorn here. KB is knowledge base? I have reviewed that article a few times now and I'm not following the logic of when to use a dot and when not to. If you can break it down for me or point me in the direction of a link to review, that'd be great.

My forum is currently at www.aviontrailers.net/forum

I recently added a dot prior to AVIONtrailers.net because a test user reported that he was continually sent back to the login screen when using a desktop (worked fine with his iPhone). I'm still waiting to hear back from him to see whether the change fixed it.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:40 am

Your cookie settings are now correct with the leading dot. The example in the Knowledge Base article explains the what to do but the why is that the leading dot is required as the cookie domain needs to have two dots.

Please also note 3.0 has now reached End of Support and as such further support is limited to helping you upgrade.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.
Forza Garibaldi

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:07 am

It's also to do with the fact that you could come from two addresses with your site, with and without the www so the dot means you can have either.
In the example that starts forums.whatever.com you would not have the option to come from www.forums.whatever.com as sites that start with another 'word' other than www are usually coming from subdomains so the address is absolute so to speak.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Kyavion

Post by Kyavion » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:06 pm

Thanks for the help from you both. Before going back online I intend to install the latest version of phpbb and use my most recent database backup. Just wanted to learn what I can before doing so. Everything else got lost when Tapatalk took over prophpbb sites. I then moved to Hostgator and for some reason they are using that old version of phpbb.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”