Upgrading a large site

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
janus_zonstraal

Re: Upgrading a large site

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Best way is to try it first with a copy of the board.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Migrating a website is different from migrating phpBB - those are two different things.

It's obvious to not do this in the live environment before not having done this successfully in a test environment, and not without file and database backups either. Check if your 2.0.x installation is unmodified by comparing files and database tables with an installation package - modifications will complicate things. Similar usernames might need to be changed.

If the board's address changes (which includes using a new domain) then URIs to posts/topics/forums in post texts need to be migrated, too.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
sakm
Name: Stu

Post by sakm »

One of the main issues would be timeouts on the server due to the size

I have found that making a copy of the database and updating/upgrading works fine in testing then when it comes to updating/upgrading the main board it never goes as smoothly!

If you can take a copy/backup of the database and update/upgrade offline then upload that then it will go a lot better

You would need some database tools though like bigdump etc as the database would be too large to upload in one go

I always have a bit of a prune where possible too! old stagnant members can be removed non relevant posts ie I have a general chat and humour sections I will prune these as they aren't relevant to the boards content! I work on the basis of quality over quantity of posts and members so if anything can be cut down then go for it

It might be worth deleting the search index too then rebuild it once the board if back up and running

Just bear in mind there will be a lot of changes so take things one step at a time

And as AmigoJack says modifications to the database can pose a problem and you will lose all these too

I would set up a test board first and see if you can get it working how you need it compared to the current board as some modifications may have to go if there is no extension available to take its place
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

AaronFW wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:28 pm
For a sense of scale; The website itself has been active for almost 20 years and as of right now has 1,133,682 posts and 13, 267 members.
phpBB is only about 16 years old.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”