User password and registration errors after udpate to 3.2.1

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
mainevette

User password and registration errors after udpate to 3.2.1

Post by mainevette » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:46 pm

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.1
What is your board's URL? www.forum.corvette-restoration.com
Who do you host your board with? Siteground
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.0-B1
What styles do you currently have installed? Prosilver Special Edition
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? I Don't Know
What is your level of experience? New to PHP but not phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? I recently migrated my site from one web host to another. As part of that migration I upgraded my board to the most recent version of phpBB using the procedure published her on phpBB. At the same time I linked my wordpress site to my phpBB forum using a wordpress plugin such that users that exist on the forum (www.forum.corvette-restoration.com) will also have access to my website (www.corvette-restoration.com).
Please describe your problem. 1. I'm getting sporadic reports that some peoples passwords are not working but other peoples passwords do.
2. When requesting a new password a confirmation is received saying an e-mail was sent with a new password, but the e-mail never arrives.
3. When trying to register a new user the following error is received after hitting the submit button: "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again"
Generated by SRT Generator

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: User password and registration errors after udpate to 3.2.1

Post by stevemaury » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:53 pm

Is the Wordpress plugin compatible with phpBB 3.2?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

mainevette

Post by mainevette » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:25 am

The plugin doesn't say which version of phpBB it's compatible with. To my knowledge it didn't make any structural changes to the phpBB database or code, it simply reads and adds database users.

I disabled the plugin but the result was still the same. I decided to try restoring and re-updating the database. I've e-mailed three members to see if it has resolved their log-in issues. I'll report back.

mainevette

Post by mainevette » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:49 am

Several members are still reporting they can log in with one browser (explorer) but not the other (chrome). I've had them completely clear their caches/browsing history but it hasn't helped. I'm at a loss as to how to resolve this.

I did switch web hosts so I'm not sure if that might have anything to do with it.

Here's an example of what I'm receiving for reports:
I have tried every way I can think of to get Chrome to allow me to log into the forum, but it still will not. I even reloaded Chrome to no avail. Cleared all cache, cleared all temp files, cleared all Chrome remembered passwords.

Internet Explorer works fine. I don't use any other browsers, so I don't know if there is this issue with any of those.

I also remember that I could not email you using the webmaster form on the forum, as it kept saying it was an invalid form, which was why I asked Vito to relay an email to you. Is that still an issue?
I did a database restore last night in case something got messed up when I upgraded to 3.2.1. I restored the database and then went through the process of updating it again to 3.2.1. That apparently hasn't resolved the issue since I'm still getting reports of members not being able to log in. The challenge I have is that I can't replicate the issue on my end with either my administer account, or an old dummy account (typical member privileges only). Since I can't replicate the issue I'm having a hard time troubleshooting it.

I welcome any suggestions or ideas.

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:10 am

I'm fairly sure that I have seen other reports of users not being able to login to phpBB boards with one particular version of Chrome but I cannot remember which version it was.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:15 am

Your board isn’t setting cookies properly, you need to speak to your host.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.
Forza Garibaldi

mainevette

Post by mainevette » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:25 pm

Thank you. I contacted my web host and they didn't see anything wrong with my account. On a hunch the adjusted a server security issue but they're not sure if it's going to work. I've contacted a few of the four members were having issues to find out if it fix the problem. I'll post an update when I know more.

For my own benefit what leads you to believe that the issue is that my webhost isn't issuing cookies properly? Could it be a setting within the admin panel instead of server-side issue?

My forum is on a subdomain and I have the cookie domain as .corvette-restoration.com

Thanks for your help!

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:36 pm

Basically I’m seeing “Error: No phpBB was detected at the specified URL“ when checking your cookies which is normally a host issue. If it were an ACP setting problem it could be wrong but we would still be able to see the problem and suggest the solution.

Forza Garibaldi

mainevette

Post by mainevette » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:26 pm

Well, it looks like we've stumped my web hosts technical support team. Here's there latest response? If you could elaborate a bit? Thanks and sorry this is turning into a pain!
I reviewed the phpBB support team answer but I am afraid I can't quite understand how exactly cookies would be related to the hosting services we provide to you. Could you please ask them to elaborate as much as possible on this so we could try to assist in the best possible way as well as usually cookies issues are related to the web application itself.

However, I looked further into this and performed a little Google research looking for a possible solution to the reported issue and found that article:

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... -settings/

I tried the cookie.php solution but I am not sure if that worked or not as the issue cannot be replicated on our end.

Please check again with your users and phpBB support and let us know if there is anything else we can do for you!

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:23 am

Now your board is setting cookies but your url is http://forum.corvette-restoration.com/ Without the www
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:16 am

Your cookies are good now and the board is setting cookies properly. I’m a bit confused by the answer from your host though, he ran the cookie.php file and everything came to life, not sure what they did. Did you change any of the cookie settings after the upgrade?

Is your problem fixed?

Forza Garibaldi

mainevette

Post by mainevette » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:39 pm

The problem is persisting.

Now I can't log in either. After trying to log in it I'm redirected to the forum home page but I'm not logged in. No error message is given.

I'm assuming I'll have to run the cookie.php file again suffice i can't get to the ACP. Is the issue because the cookie is setting the web address as http://corvette-restoration.com (no www)?

I did change my cookie setting once through the ACP but it was as part of some troubleshooting AFTER I was hearing folks were having trouble logging in.

Thanks for the continued help!

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:44 pm

Did you try to login with a different browser?
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

mainevette

Post by mainevette » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:56 pm

Here's what I'm seeing personally, and what I'm hearing from a few users:

Me: Can log on from my laptop using both Firefox and Chrome. I cannot log in from my android device using Chrome of Samsung Internet

User #1 - Can log on from his PC using Firefox, isn't able to log on using Chrome

User #2 - Can't log in using either IE or Chrome.

In all three cases the cache and cookies have been cleared.

Given that my site appears to be setting cookies properly now I suspect there's some other issue here.

I'm going to restore my old forum backup on another subdomain (the 3.0.x version) to see if it works properly. I'm hoping to narrow down the issue tp determin if it's web host related or if it's related to the phpBB update I ran.

mainevette

Post by mainevette » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:00 am

Here's a brief update - unfortunately I'm still struggling with this.

I'm still having trouble with members not being able to log into my forum (www.forum.corvette-restoration.com). I have reports from 3 or 4 regular users who all say they can't log on. One can log in with Firefox but everyone else can't log on regardless of which browser they use. They've tried resetting their password but no luck. I've tried manually resetting their password with no luck.

Given the issues I was seeing I created a second subdomain (www.forum2.corvette-restoration.com) and restored the backup from my old web host to the new subdomain. I asked a few members to try logging in but they couldn't log onto the second forum site either. Based on this I'm beginning to think it's a web host issue but it seems very odd to me.

I'll submit another trouble ticket to my web host but I'd certainly appreciate any thoughts or ideas on how to resolve this.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”