Unable to create a new group

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
richxrich
Name: Rich

Re: Unable to create a new group

Post by richxrich »

We do have self-made groups--an annual "Supporting Member" group we create on a yearly basis to recognize members whose contributions keep our board running. These go back several years and are about the only new groups we created.

I noticed while studying the Structure in MyPHPAdmin that there's a column labeled "A_I" and a checkbox below it, which I'm guessing is the auto_increment function. Would activating this checkbox on all the tables and fields which require auto_increment based on the default installation be a good remedy? Or inserting via SQL?

Are there consequences to consider (i.e., is there a possibility I could break the board by doing this)? Any other considerations?

-R
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

richxrich wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:50 pm We do have self-made groups--an annual "Supporting Member" group we create on a yearly basis to recognize members whose contributions keep our board running. These go back several years and are about the only new groups we created.

I noticed while studying the Structure in MyPHPAdmin that there's a column labeled "A_I" and a checkbox below it, which I'm guessing is the auto_increment function. Would activating this checkbox on all the tables and fields which require auto_increment based on the default installation be a good remedy? Or inserting via SQL?

Are there consequences to consider (i.e., is there a possibility I could break the board by doing this)? Any other considerations?

-R
Not sure about that.
Yesterday I tried something just for testing purposes: copy the table to a new table, empty it, add the autoincrement , then fill the new table, remove the old table, rename the new table. That way the autoincrement token is automatically set to the correct value.
This certainly works for tables where no ids are skipped. (I should mention, it worked on my tests - I cannot guarantee it works for every situation)
Anyway, please wait for advice from others ( I have a tendency to try things which could fail, but I confident (probably unrealistic) that I'll solve any problems sooner or later : the problem with 3.1 and 3.2 is that the solving is rather later than sooner.)
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
richxrich

Post by richxrich »

What if I were to create a copy of our current board and use it as a sandbox for testing purposes? That way, I can test out new extensions and other things without impacting the live board. This might be a good way for me to test out switching the A_I on/off via MyPHPAdmin.

How do I go about doing that?
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Or copy everything on your server.
files in a other directory, and the database into a new one.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

richxrich wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:07 amWhat if I were to create a copy of our current board and use it as a sandbox for testing purposes?
What if that is a practice that should always be done?

Can't help you with phpMyAdmin's surface and I discourage altering data thru it when you can do it directly via SQL. I'm still waiting for a list of tables + columns that differ (and please don't say "all" because you could have ones that aren't known to any of us).
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
richxrich

Post by richxrich »

I'll need just a little bit of guidance with looking at the code to truly know if I'm identifying correctly:

schema.json

Code: Select all

"phpbb_acl_options": {
        "COLUMNS": {
            "auth_option_id": [
                "UINT",
                null,
                "auto_increment"
            ],
            "auth_option": [
                "VCHAR:50",
                ""
            ],
            "is_global": [
                "BOOL",
            ],
            "is_local": [
                "BOOL",
            ],
            "founder_only": [
                "BOOL",
            ]
        },
        "PRIMARY_KEY": "auth_option_id",
        "KEYS": {
            "auth_option": [
                "UNIQUE",
                [
                    "auth_option"
                ]
            ]
        }
    },
SQL Query:

phpbb_acl_options
CREATE TABLE `phpbb_acl_options` (
 `auth_option_id` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL,
 `auth_option` varchar(50) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
 `is_global` tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
 `is_local` tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
 `founder_only` tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
 PRIMARY KEY (`auth_option_id`),
 UNIQUE KEY `auth_option` (`auth_option`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM AUTO_INCREMENT=119 DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1
To me, the columns match up in this instance. There's an auto_increment in the table, but it's not on the auth_option_id where there should be one? Correct? I'm not entirely clear on what this refers to: ENGINE=MyISAM AUTO_INCREMENT=119 DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1
richxrich

Post by richxrich »

schema.json

"phpbb_acl_roles": {
        "COLUMNS": {
            "role_id": [
                "UINT",
                null,
                "auto_increment"
            ],
            "role_name": [
                "VCHAR_UNI",
                ""
            ],
            "role_description": [
                "TEXT_UNI",
                ""
            ],
            "role_type": [
                "VCHAR:10",
                ""
            ],
            "role_order": [
                "USINT",
            ]
        },
        "PRIMARY_KEY": "role_id",
        "KEYS": {
            "role_type": [
                "INDEX",
                "role_type"
            ],
            "role_order": [
                "INDEX",
                "role_order"
            ]
        }
    },
SQL Query

phpbb_acl_roles
CREATE TABLE `phpbb_acl_roles` (
 `role_id` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL,
 `role_name` varchar(255) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
 `role_description` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL,
 `role_type` varchar(10) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
 `role_order` smallint(4) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
 PRIMARY KEY (`role_id`),
 KEY `role_type` (`role_type`),
 KEY `role_order` (`role_order`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1
Columns match up, as do the Keys. No auto_increment in role_id (only difference).
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Both tables are wrong, the AUTO_INCREMENT needs to be found at the column, not at the "end". Your first example even shows an illogical definition, where the whole table gets the current increment value assigned but no column is using it. If you're unsure about it all, collect all table definitions in one text file and attach it here to a reply.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
richxrich

Post by richxrich »

I wouldn't have any idea if the tables are right or wrong; I posted the query results as-is and was seeking guidance on what to look for in the query results. I appreciate any and all input you have regarding this.

I've attached text file of SQL Query results for the auto_increment tables as you've instructed.

Note that phpbb_notification_types, phpbb_notifications, and phpbb_teampage were not found among the tables in our db.
Attachments
baaps_tables_a_i.txt
(31.39 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Execute this - it is one (long) query that will give you 31 rows of output:

SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_acl_options MODIFY auth_option_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( auth_option_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_acl_options UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_acl_roles MODIFY role_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( role_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_acl_roles UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_attachments MODIFY attach_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( attach_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_attachments UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_banlist MODIFY ban_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( ban_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_banlist UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_bots MODIFY bot_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( bot_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_bots UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_disallow MODIFY disallow_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( disallow_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_disallow UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_drafts MODIFY draft_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( draft_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_drafts UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_extension_groups MODIFY group_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( group_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_extension_groups UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_extensions MODIFY extension_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( extension_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_extensions UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_forums MODIFY forum_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( forum_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_forums UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_groups MODIFY group_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( group_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_groups UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_icons MODIFY icons_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( icons_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_icons UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_lang MODIFY lang_id tinyint(4) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( lang_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_lang UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_log MODIFY log_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( log_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_log UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_modules MODIFY module_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( module_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_modules UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_posts MODIFY post_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( post_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_posts UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_privmsgs MODIFY msg_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( msg_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_privmsgs UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_privmsgs_folder MODIFY folder_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( folder_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_privmsgs_folder UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_privmsgs_rules MODIFY rule_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( rule_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_privmsgs_rules UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_profile_fields MODIFY field_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( field_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_profile_fields UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_ranks MODIFY rank_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( rank_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_ranks UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_reports MODIFY report_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( report_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_reports UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_reports_reasons MODIFY reason_id smallint(4) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( reason_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_reports_reasons UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_search_wordlist MODIFY word_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( word_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_search_wordlist UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_sitelist MODIFY site_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( site_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_sitelist UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_smilies MODIFY smiley_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( smiley_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_smilies UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_styles MODIFY style_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( style_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_styles UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_topics MODIFY topic_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( topic_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_topics UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_users MODIFY user_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( user_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_users UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_warnings MODIFY warning_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( warning_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_warnings UNION
SELECT concat( 'ALTER TABLE phpbb_words MODIFY word_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= ', coalesce( max( word_id ), 0 )+ 1, ';' ) AS query FROM phpbb_words
 ORDER BY 1;
The output should look like this (with the actual values at the end being different, of course):

ALTER TABLE phpbb_acl_options MODIFY auth_option_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 194;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_acl_roles MODIFY role_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 30;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_attachments MODIFY attach_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 1;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_banlist MODIFY ban_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 617036;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_bots MODIFY bot_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 386;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_disallow MODIFY disallow_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 1;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_drafts MODIFY draft_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 99;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_extensions MODIFY extension_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 67;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_extension_groups MODIFY group_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 10;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_forums MODIFY forum_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 405;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_groups MODIFY group_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 23;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_icons MODIFY icons_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 12;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_lang MODIFY lang_id tinyint(4) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 5;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_log MODIFY log_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 674569;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_modules MODIFY module_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 343;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_posts MODIFY post_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 1403168;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_privmsgs MODIFY msg_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 53856;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_privmsgs_folder MODIFY folder_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 51;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_privmsgs_rules MODIFY rule_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 1;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_profile_fields MODIFY field_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 1;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_ranks MODIFY rank_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 44;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_reports MODIFY report_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 3884;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_reports_reasons MODIFY reason_id smallint(4) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 14;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_search_wordlist MODIFY word_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 1;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_sitelist MODIFY site_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 1;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_smilies MODIFY smiley_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 520;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_styles MODIFY style_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 8;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_topics MODIFY topic_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 325367;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_users MODIFY user_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 4895;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_warnings MODIFY warning_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 22;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_words MODIFY word_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, AUTO_INCREMENT= 16;
These are (obviously) 31 separate queries, which you can either execute one by one (better) or all at once (risky). Tables with many rows may take quite a while, so waiting for 10 minutes on one table might still be normal.

richxrich wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:15 pmphpbb_notification_types, phpbb_notifications, and phpbb_teampage were not found among the tables in our db.
That's a different problem which we will advance after everything else was successfully (which you can verify when SHOW CREATE TABLE... will show the AUTO_INCREMENT directive afterwards.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Wow, AmigoJack. You've seriously put some thought into it.
Sincere respect and a thank you from this onlooker for the great help you give!! (you're on my shortlist for when I run into trouble ;) )
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

richxrich

Post by richxrich »

Wow, definitely didn't expect to have all that queries written! Wholeheartedly agree with warmweer on this one. :)

I just tried running the SQL commands, but, unfortunately, ran into this error: #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

richxrich wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:06 pmnear '' at line 1
That doesn't help one bit. Make screenshots (where one can see everything - preferably size the window) of 3 things:
  1. the output of my initial query (with the 31 expected rows)
  2. the editor when you're about to execute one of those output queries
  3. the whole website containing the error message afterwards
I hope you haven't copied the output and then pasted it to some non-text editor like Word and then copied it again.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

AmigoJack wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:31 amI hope you haven't copied the output and then pasted it to some non-text editor like Word and then copied it again.
That may well be the cause. I remember having a similar error message years ago. After hours of searching the problem was identified: the characters ´` ' weren't copied correctly.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”