3.0.11 Conversion Fail. I am against the wall.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
SeeinStripes
Name: Shawn

3.0.11 Conversion Fail. I am against the wall.

Post by SeeinStripes » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:18 am

My forum is 12 years old and now sits with a general error message http://www.stripersoup.com/forum/

I wanted to update to 3.2 (obviously fell behind on updates). I have searched extensively here for help but what I've found and done hasn't worked. My main question at this point is:

How do I revert (save face) back to 3.0.x at this point? I did back up my orig. forum files and db prior to attempting anything. Tried to go to 3.0.14 first and got very close but errored out on the db convert. Then I deleted all but the sacred 4 items from my forum and tried to go straight to 3.2. I didn't get past the first convert screen and got errors. So I RE-reverted by deleting all but the fab 4 and re-upped the original forum files. Refresh page and still getting general error. Do I need to reinstall it? I know my db u/n and p/w etc because I can install a new version of the forum like nobody's business from a clean slate. Just not connecting with the conversion.

I hope someone feels like taking pity on me. I'm a fisherman and only know enough about this stuff to mess it up real good. My forum is iconic in the industry. Thanks guys and girls.
Shawn McNew

SeeinStripes

Re: 3.0.11 Conversion Fail. I am against the wall.

Post by SeeinStripes » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:34 am

Shawn McNew

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:44 am

That error is exactly what it says - the database cannot be accessed. There are several possible reasons:

1. The credentials in the config.php file are incorrect.
2. The host has changed something.
3. The database does not exist/is corrupt.
4. There is a problem with the server.

The fist port of call for this would be to contact your hosts and ask them if they know of any reason why this is happening as this type of error is commonly due to something at the hosts end.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

SeeinStripes

Post by SeeinStripes » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:53 am

I use Justhost and they did change some things since my original install. I randomly got mbstring i/o errors on my admin page red alert banner a while ago and had to get that cleared up before I could install my practice forum. Yep, I practiced this before attempting the real deal on my prodigal fishing forum. Spent about 45 mins in chat with a tech guy from JH. He did something with php.ini which I have no idea about to fix that. I will see what they can do right now. Thanks!
Shawn McNew

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:33 am

If you already have a 3.x-board, you don't convert! Converting is for 2.x.-boards and non-phpBB-boards.

You need to upgrade your board - just follow the Upgrade Guide
Greetings
Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
no support via PM or mail

SeeinStripes

Post by SeeinStripes » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:50 am

Well, we got past the password issue and now I'm hitting this wall... http://www.stripersoup.com/12-5-17-erro ... ersoup.jpg

Justhost uses public_html as their root folder for all publicly visible files. I tried ../forum ../forum/ ../public_html etc..

Is it looking for a specific file that I may have messed with or deleted? Can't get this to go through.
Shawn McNew

SeeinStripes

Post by SeeinStripes » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:00 am

canonknipser wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:33 am
If you already have a 3.x-board, you don't convert! Converting is for 2.x.-boards and non-phpBB-boards.

You need to upgrade your board - just follow the Upgrade Guide
I did try that and it only got 20 something through the update and failed with no option to re-do. Now i'm just trying to go back so I can leave it alone forever and can't figure that much out. But thanks for letting me know not to convert! I'm on chat with tech support now. They don't know crap. I did edit my config file to fix the password and that worked. I'm not 100% helpless, just like 98%. I will update if I work anything else out. Going to try the update again. Lots of deleting and uploading...
Shawn McNew

SeeinStripes

Post by SeeinStripes » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:08 am

Interestingly enough I have on old 2.0 forum (the original striper soup) http://seeinstripes.com/stripersoup/ that is now defunct because I didn't know how to/was afraid to try to/convert to 3.0. It is hosted with a different company, yahoo-aabaco (REAL CRAPPY), and I don't really know where I'd begin to find that db info. We just call it the "old" soup and members use it for looking at the past. :P
Shawn McNew

SeeinStripes

Post by SeeinStripes » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:12 am

The more I go through this the more I start to understand it. I changed the db password on my cpanel at JH and didn't even realize that would make the forum take a dump. I bet if I had just amended the config and refreshed, it would have worked. Ah well. Deleting old files and going for 3.2 upgrade here in a bit. This is about the 5th time I've uploaded 3.2. Have deleted it 4x. it's 3am my time and I've been doing this for 9 hours. I am so tired but determined.
Shawn McNew

SeeinStripes

Post by SeeinStripes » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:06 am

I can hardly EFFING believe it...but I GOT IT WORKING!!! Thanks guys for the help, it really helped me. I got 3.2 uploaded and hit the update and the first time it pinged the db, it timed out. The second time, it ran flawlessly. When I saw the forum back up, I actually got emotional! http://www.stripersoup.com/forum/index.php
Attachments
12-5-17-successfulinstall-stripersoup.jpg
Shawn McNew

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:21 am

congrats ;)
Greetings
Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
no support via PM or mail

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:35 am

Congratulations indeed! :)

In the future, could you try to not post as many posts in row in a topic? That could be seen as bumping and makes it harder to read the topic. Try editing your previous post unless you've got really important new information. Thanks!
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”