Database table "phpbb_posts" crashed and won't repair due to temp file?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
WWu777

Re: Database table "phpbb_posts" crashed and won't repair due to temp file?

Post by WWu777 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:33 am

Good news. My database is finally repaired. It took them 36 hours to get to it. I kept bugging them and eventually threatened to file a complaint with the BBB. Then they fixed it finally. It was just one table, warmweer, the "phpbb_posts" one. That's the one that frequently gets messed up with wrong index file. I usually repair it in MYSQL with this command:

"REPAIR TABLE phpbb_posts USE_FRM;"

I guess the server admins higher up have special tools that can fix it if phpmyadmin can't.

Whew. I'm so relieved.

Btw, is this site www.phpbb.com on a dedicated server or vps server? Which hosting company hosts this site? The server that hosts this site seems very reliable and never crashes, even though there are so many thousands of hits on this forum all the time and it has so much traffic.

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:53 am

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:30 am
I use Adminer in this cases, it is a very small file but better than PhpMyAdmin
https://www.adminer.org/

You download, upload, repair, edit and much more with this program.
Thanks. I'll check it out. I'm on that site now. It just downloads a php file but has no instructions on how to use it. Where are the instructions?

How is this program better than phpmyadmin? Is its repair function any better? That's the major thing I need. Can it fix deeper issues?

Still no one knows why our server keeps crashing. Is the server defective? If so they don't acknowledge it. Bluehost doesn't like to acknowledge any blame of course. They prefer to pass it on to the websites. But my website and forum do not do anything that would cause a server crash. Our traffic hasn't gone up much. We only get 2000 to 2500 visitors a day. That's not enough to crash a server. So I don't know what's going on. My site has been running for 10 years since 2007, and it doesn't usually crash.

The tech support at Bluehost cannot find the cause. They only say that the server logs say that the server was overloaded, but cannot determine the cause.

So no one knows what's going on. Any suggestions? Is this a hacker attack?

I think I might have to move back to shared hosting. Shared hosting is cheaper, doesn't crash as much as VPS hosting, and has unlimited space and bandwidth, whereas VPS only limits you to 30 GB. So VPS sucks and is unnecessary and doesn't provide any advantages and costs more too, and seems to have unstable servers as well. Why does anyone need a VPS then? I don't get it. I was told that shared hosting should be enough for a site of this size and traffic. So it makes more sense and costs less too. Plus VPS is a form of shared hosting anyway, it only creates a virtual server for you, but technically you still share resources with other VPS sites on the same server.

What do you all think?

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:25 am

The have a Wiki with the instructions
https://sourceforge.net/p/adminer/wiki/Home/

I found it better than phpmyadmin be course the backup and restore function has better control, you can skip little errors where phpmyadmin stops

A compare list between phpmyadim and Adminer you find here
https://www.adminer.org/en/phpmyadmin/
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:28 am

WWu777 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:33 am
Btw, is this site www.phpbb.com on a dedicated server or vps server? Which hosting company hosts this site?
phpBB is hosted by Oregon State University. Somewhere on here there are details of the configuration if you care to search for it.
WWu777 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:53 am
They only say that the server logs say that the server was overloaded, but cannot determine the cause.
If they cannot determine the cause then nobody else will.
WWu777 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:53 am
Shared hosting is cheaper, doesn't crash as much as VPS hosting, and has unlimited space and bandwidth, whereas VPS only limits you to 30 GB.
There is no such thing as unlimited space or bandwidth. They may claim that in their advertising but read the "small print" - there are caveats.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:24 pm

OSUOL only hosts Open Source projects as far as I'm aware.
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:12 am

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:25 am
The have a Wiki with the instructions
https://sourceforge.net/p/adminer/wiki/Home/

I found it better than phpmyadmin be course the backup and restore function has better control, you can skip little errors where phpmyadmin stops

A compare list between phpmyadim and Adminer you find here
https://www.adminer.org/en/phpmyadmin/
Ok I went to those links above. But it doesn't tell me how to install it. Do I just upload that one php file that I downloaded and point the browser to it? Is it that simple?

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:19 am

WWu777 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:12 am
Ok I went to those links above. But it doesn't tell me how to install it. Do I just upload that one php file that I downloaded and point the browser to it? Is it that simple?
I don't know adminer but I read

Adminer (formerly phpMinAdmin) is a full-featured database management tool written in PHP. Conversely to phpMyAdmin, it consist of a single file ready to deploy to the target server.
So my guess is, that once it's uploaded and started, it will ask me for a database and a password. I could test my guess by trying it.
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:22 am

yes it is :D
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:19 am

Ok thanks all. So I can use adminer and phpmyadmin at the same time? They won't conflict?

How do you give it access to your database? You'd have to give it your database username and password right?

Is the repair table function in adminer any better than in phpmyadmin? Or does it do the same thing? I think that's the crucial question here.

I cannot optimize my table "phpbb_posts". Every time I try to, it crashed the table and then I have to repair it with "REPAIR TABLE phpbb_posts USE_FRM" in order to fix it so it will check as Ok again if I check the table.

Any idea why that is? Why would an optimize command crash that table every single time? Any theories?

Would it be the same with adminer too?

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:48 am

WWu777 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:19 am
Why would an optimize command crash that table every single time? Any theories?
Yes - because optimizing uses nearly the same process as repairing:
Copy the content to a temp file (or temp space in the database), delete and recreate original database table, copy content back
So the primary problem is with your host, as said above (temp space ...)
WWu777 wrote:
And yes, I think so, because both products use the same database command: OPTIMIZE TABLE ...- you can even use the command without a special tool from the MySQL command line (if you have shell access to it).
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:07 am

canonknipser wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:48 am
WWu777 wrote:
Why would an optimize command crash that table every single time? Any theories?
Yes - because optimizing uses nearly the same process as repairing:
Copy the content to a temp file (or temp space in the database), delete and recreate original database table, copy content back
So the primary problem is with your host, as said above (temp space ...)
WWu777 wrote:
And yes, I think so, because both products use the same database command: OPTIMIZE TABLE ...- you can even use the command without a special tool from the MySQL command line (if you have shell access to it).
How would I copy the content to a temp file and then delete and recreate the database table? Can you outline the steps I would take?

I have plenty of disk space on my server. Only 65 percent of 30 GB is used. Why would space be the problem?

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:31 am

YOU CAN't AND DON'T COPY BY YOURSELF!

The database does (normally) reside on a separate server (therefore called database server) and has nothing to do with your regular web space. So your free space in your 30GB are irrelevant.
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:35 am

I'm closing this as the original issue was fixed and it's becoming a discussion for server setup which is not covered by these support forums. If you have further issues please start a new topic for each one.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”