Load settings third party privacy issue?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
nou nou

Load settings third party privacy issue?

Post by nou nou »

Hello,

I came across this setting in the load settings:

Code: Select all

Allow usage of third party content delivery networks:
If this setting is enabled, some files will be served from external third party servers instead of your server. This reduces the network bandwidth required by your server, but may present a privacy issue for some board administrator
I would like to use this, but wondered about the "privacy issue" - what privacy issue would that be, exactly?

Thanks!
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: Load settings third party privacy issue?

Post by thecoalman »

When a user loads a page on your website their browser will make a request for the external resource. Whoever is hosting the external resource will know the users IP and what page on your site they are viewing.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Macko
Name: Mac Ko

Re: Load settings third party privacy issue?

Post by Macko »

thecoalman wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:00 am When a user loads a page on your website their browser will make a request for the external resource. Whoever is hosting the external resource will know the users IP and what page on your site they are viewing.
I have a question about this.

I run a pretty normal forum, so would this be a real concern for me or my users????

Also, if we decided to give this a try, would I just select (YES) in the ACP, or would there need to be something I'd need to do on the server as well to start taking advantage of this??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”