Not logged-in users with read-only permissions can reply to topics and post new

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
amulheirn

Not logged-in users with read-only permissions can reply to topics and post new

Post by amulheirn » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:14 am

Hi,

I've just noticed that people who aren't logged in to my forum are able to click the reply button at the bottom and post a reply (so long as they get the Captcha answer right). This isn't how I thought it was supposed to work.

As I understand it, any users who are not logged in are in the group 'Guests'. I did the following to make sure this group was read-only:

- select the Users and Groups tab
- under 'Groups' on the left menu, select Group Forum Permissions
- select "Guest"
- checked the 'all forums' box
- verified the "Read Only" permission is assigned to each forum
- opened the 'Advanced Permissions' for this and confirmed that making new posts and replying to posts is set to 'No'

I just checked the 'New topic' button as well, and that also permits non-logged-in users to start topics, despite these settings. It does present a ReCaptcha box, but that's not good enough really. See below:
anonymous-post.jpg
Anyone else got this problem or some advice on this?

Many thanks,
Andrew

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Re: Not logged-in users with read-only permissions can reply to topics and post new

Post by david63 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:34 am

It is without doubt a permission issue.

Is the Anonymous user in any other group?

Use the permissions mask on the Anonymous user to see if it shows where the problem may be.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Not logged-in users with read-only permissions can reply to topics and post new

Post by Brf » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:57 pm

Yes. Check the forum-based permissions mask on the Anonymous user. I am seeing this at the bottom of your forums:

FORUM PERMISSIONS
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

amulheirn

Post by amulheirn » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:56 am

Thank you both for taking the time to reply on this - I really appreciate your help!

I was unaware of the existence of the anonymous user for some reason. I looked him up and for some unknown reason, he's been added to the 'registered users' group! No idea how that happened - maybe something a previous admin did.

I put him in the guests group instead and removed him. Now when I try to reply or post as a not-logged-in user, I get a login page.

Once again, thanks for your help.
Andrew

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”