Problems with image uploads

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Anagallis__

Problems with image uploads

Post by Anagallis__ » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:52 am

We're running a board with 3.2.0 RC2 (the technical admin is not responding, so we cannot upgrade). Since upgrading from an earlier version, there are a number of problems with image uploads. This post demonstrates them:
https://forum.pflanzenbestimmung.de/for ... 38#p137532

(The image size limit is said to be 800x600 pixels with max. 1 MiB file size.) The the image "x.jpg" before upload was 600x900 pixels (too big), had a Jpeg quality of 91% and a file size of 202 kB. After uploading, the Jpeg quality is 100%, the file size 559 kB, the image size 512x768 (still too big), and the colours of the image have been modified.

The image below that ("x3.jpg") has been scaled to 512x768 pixels before upload. The Jpeg quality and file size have still increased, but at least the colours are correct.

1) Is this behaviour documented somewhere?

2) How can we change that (assuming that the technical admin is not going to respond anytime soon)? Ideally we'd just prefer an error message if an image is "too big", and have the board software not do anything with the uploads (except maybe removing some Exif headers).

3) What permissions/roles are needed to configure this? I've got admin access to the board but cannot see any settings related to image uploads.

(Sorry if some of this is "rtfm", but I've almost zero knowledge about the board software and documentation except as a user.)

janus_zonstraal

Re: Problems with image uploads

Post by janus_zonstraal » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:52 am

It is a little bit strange that your board is on a non official version

My suggestion is to update to phpbb 3.2.1 first
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Anagallis__

Post by Anagallis__ » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:56 am

I know, but:
Anagallis__ wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:52 am
the technical admin is not responding, so we cannot upgrade

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:07 pm

Anagallis__ wrote:
(The image size limit is said to be 800x600 pixels with max. 1 MiB file size.) The the image "x.jpg" before upload was 600x900 pixels (too big), had a Jpeg quality of 91% and a file size of 202 kB. After uploading, the Jpeg quality is 100%, the file size 559 kB, the image size 512x768 (still too big)
Thats a know issue with the plupload library used to resize oversized images. 3.2.0 has a (hardcoded) quality setting of 100% for jpeg, so the images decrease in dimensions, but increase in filesize.
First I would recommend is to set image dimensions to 800x800 (to make no difference between portrait and landscape)
Anagallis__ wrote:
and the colours of the image have been modified.
Maybe it is also a issue with the plupload library - has the image a colorspace different from sRGB (like AdobeRGB)? Maybe the colorspace info is dropped from the metadata, so the browser assume sRGB as default.

currently on mobile, so can't check the colorspace by myself
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

Anagallis__

Post by Anagallis__ » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:15 pm

Hm, the author of that image says that when he views the scaled picture (before upload) with various programs, the colours look different (but not the way they look after uploading).

So, the fix for the 100%-problem is upgrading to 3.2.1 I guess. What about that library, is plupload a separate piece of software?

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:08 pm

Yes, it is a library developed outside of phpBB, but it is integrated, tested and delivered with phpBB, so no need to download / install it separate.
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:32 pm

Do you have FTP access to the phpBB files and access to the database?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Anagallis__

Post by Anagallis__ » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:38 pm

Unfortunately, unless we can wake up the guy who actually runs the forum on his server, nobody has access to anything. :-( Chances get better if we can tell him exactly what needs to be done, I guess.

In the mean time a user of the board has found out that the image in question indeed has an "Adobe" colour profile and that some image viewers use the correct profile, some use just sRGB, and Gimp asks whether to convert or not.

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:44 pm

Unfortunately, unless we can wake up the guy who actually runs the forum on his server, nobody has access to anything.
Time to find a other guy and server :roll:

Anagallis__

Post by Anagallis__ » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:59 pm

What permissions or role do I need to change the allowed image dimensions myself? Do you need to be a "founder" to do that?

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:26 pm

If you are a Admin with the right permissions you can do it in ACP => Attachment settings

Anagallis__

Post by Anagallis__ » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:36 pm

*Sigh* The permissions of the board are completely fucked up. I guess we need someone to fix this mess for us - if we can convince the server admin to give someone server access. :-(

As far as I understand, the 100%-Problem would be solved by upgrading; the image settings could be done by me if the permission system would be fixed, and the colour space problem may or may not be fixed by a more recent version of plupload. Experiments with various Linux and Windows image viewers have shown that lots of programs are unable to properly handle non-sRGB colour profiles. It's not just "plupload". The next thing we have to do is to make the server admin react to our requests. Thanks for all your help.

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:55 pm

If you need a helping hand, feel free to contact me.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”