Student Grouping Questions

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
BisonScience

Student Grouping Questions

Post by BisonScience » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:20 pm

Hello,

I run a phpbb 3.0.x installation on a website for my department at school. I have imported all 900 students into the database and was ready to go when I thought about grouping students into their own classes. Currently, each teacher has a CATEGORY (their name) with each class receiving a sub-category (example: Biology), then each section having its own sub-category under that (example: Period 4). From there the teacher creates a weekly forum (example: "Week 3: The Cell") and outlines the format of a post for each student in the "forum rules" box. Each student then creates a NEW TOPIC and replies to two other students in their class.

Okay, so what I started to do was create groups for each class and placed students in their respective class with the restriction that they have READ ONLY ACCESS to every forum except their class, where they have STANDARD ACCESS. Each student is in the REGISTERED USER group as well by default.

I found that dealing with group permissions on such a scale is frustrating and time consuming.

1. What grouping scheme would you suggest?
2. Should I just allow full access to all members and enforce posting in the correct forum as a class discipline problem?
3. If I copy permissions from a previous forum (example: Week 3: The Cell ---> Week 4: Ribosomes) will the group permissions follow it?

Thank you for your help in advance!
Last edited by JimA on Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Discussion to Support Forums

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Student Grouping Questions

Post by KevC » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:24 pm

Support for 3.0.x ended over a year ago. We can only help you to upgrade to 3.2.x.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

BisonScience

Post by BisonScience » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:30 pm

I was tempted to not even put my version number, because it is more of an organizational question. Has grouping changing significantly enough, or at all from 3.0.x to 3.2.x?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:36 pm

No but there is an auto groups extension that might help what you do.
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... to_groups/

Off the top of my head I can't think of an easy way to organise such a complex layout apart from possibly having separate installations for each year or subject so the basic membership sorts itself out by them only registering for the one that's relevant to them.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:49 pm

BisonScience wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:20 pm
Okay, so what I started to do was create groups for each class and placed students in their respective class with the restriction that they have READ ONLY ACCESS to every forum except their class, where they have STANDARD ACCESS. Each student is in the REGISTERED USER group as well by default
You are going about this backwards. Set the registered members to read only access on all forums you want to restrict. The group that needs standard access only needs to be added to the forum they need standard access to with the standard access permissions.

When you create a new forum copy permissions from the last one, remove the existing group and add the new one. Set the permissions for new group to full access. Done!

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”