PHP 7.1.13 and 7.2.1 crashes site when logging into forums

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Heo32

PHP 7.1.13 and 7.2.1 crashes site when logging into forums

Post by Heo32 »

I noticed that PHP 7.1.12 works for logging in, but once I switch to PHP 7.1.13 (and tested with PHP 7.2.1), I am not able to log into my forums. In fact, my site crashes when I try to do so, so I am stuck at PHP 7.1.12 at the moment.

Is anyone else having this problem? Can any of you test it to see if it crashes your site as well?

This is my setup:

1) Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (x64)
2) Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 (and 2015) Redistributable (x64) - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2977003
3) Nginx 1.12.2
4) CloudFlare with SSL/TLS (Full)
5) PHP 7.1.13 VC14 Thread Safe (x64)
6) MySQL Community Server 5.7.20 (x64)
7) phpMyAdmin 4.7.7
8) phpBB 3.2.2 (it also crashed on phpBB 3.2.1)

There are no extensions and no 3rd party themes; it's a vanilla setup.
stevemaury wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:16 pm I went to your board and looked for an hour or so, but did not see the women without underwear.
Allow using Content-Security-Policy without unsafe-inline • Content-Security-Policy
AlfredoRamos
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo

Re: PHP 7.1.13 and 7.2.1 crashes site when logging into forums

Post by AlfredoRamos »

What do you mean by "my site crashes"? what does it do? does it throw an error? post that error message and check your logs.

I'm running two phpBB 3.2.2 boards with PHP 7.2.1, and they are not "crashing".
Some of my phpBB extensions:
:chart_with_upwards_trend: SEO Metadata | Image Markdown | :shield: hCaptcha
:trophy: Check out all my validated extensions :trophy:

:penguin: Arch Linux user | Linux Boards :penguin:
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Heo32 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:39 pm 3) Nginx 1.12.2
4) CloudFlare with SSL/TLS (Full)
this could be part of your problem, one or the other or both.
cloudfare is known to cause all sorts of strange problems. you can turn it off completely and test.

nginx also has its problems, I know nothing about it but have seen a lot of posts here about needing some
type of special config file for it to work properly with phpbb etc.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader
Name: Marc

Post by Marc »

We have noticed a similar issue in our appveyor builds with the release of PHP 7.1.13. So far I wasn't able to track down the actual reason for the crash but it sure seems like a segfault in PHP itself. For now I think your safest bet is staying with PHP 7.1.12 and wait for the next update.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:07 am cloudfare is known to cause all sorts of strange problems. you can turn it off completely and test.
The only real issue related to Cloudflare is the IP's since all IP's are from Cloudflare. There is an Apache module for this which is something you really need to install if you are using Cloudflare. Without there is many issues beyond phpBB such as logs, firewalls etc.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

thecoalman wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:26 pm
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:07 am cloudfare is known to cause all sorts of strange problems. you can turn it off completely and test.
The only real issue related to Cloudflare is the IP's since all IP's are from Cloudflare. There is an Apache module for this which is something you really need to install if you are using Cloudflare. Without there is many issues beyond phpBB such as logs, firewalls etc.
If you can't install the Apache module there is my extension which takes care of those false IPS, see the CDB.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

Thanks for all of the comments.

It turned out to be a PHP bug after all. The issue has been resolved in a snapshot release and will be made available as a fix in PHP 7.1.14 and PHP 7.2.2.

https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=75794

https://github.com/php/php-src/blob/PHP-7.1/NEWS
https://github.com/php/php-src/blob/PHP-7.2/NEWS
- FCGI:
. Fixed bug #75794 (getenv() crashes on Windows 7.2.1 when second parameter is false). (Anatol)
stevemaury wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:16 pm I went to your board and looked for an hour or so, but did not see the women without underwear.
Allow using Content-Security-Policy without unsafe-inline • Content-Security-Policy

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”