Can I go from 3.012 directly to 3.2.x?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Big Mac
Name: David Shepheard

Can I go from 3.012 directly to 3.2.x?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:00 pm

Hi,

A friend who set up a phpBB forum back in 2008 doesn't have enough time to look after it, and I am going to take it over.

I've got several issues, and I'm trying to work out what order to do everything in.
  • It's on a hosting company that wants it removed, so I've got to get it imported onto another hosting company. (Our new hosting company said they can do this.)
  • The original hosting company threatened to kill my friends account if she didn't reduce the size of the data she had on her server. We were forced to kill the search index to shrink it down. So I've got to rebuild that.
  • It's on 3.0.12 and I know that's not supported. So I know I've got to upgrade. Can I go directly to 3.2.x or do I have to upgrade to 3.1.x first and then upgrade a second time?
  • We also have a custom forum style, some custom forum tags and things like a masthead image. I was researching 3.1 back before it went live and I know that you have killed some of that. So I need to work out what to save before an upgrade starts. (And I'll have to try to recreate custom forum tags after the migration/upgrade.)
  • To add to the fun, I've only got partial admin rights on my forum account, so I might have to hack my account, from the outside, to get the button to rebuild the search engine index.
I've got the rights to close and open the forum. I actually own the new hosting account. But I'm having a bit of trouble accessing my friend's old hosting account and have a friend who needs to do that bit.

I'm trying to come up with a plan that will both minimise downtime for the forum users and also minimise the risk that we start the process of getting the forum moved to the new hosting company and get an unpleasant surprise part way through.

I guess that we can reopen with a mundane forum style (if necessary) and try to reproduce our custom one later. I'd rather not do that, but the need to get onto a supported version and get the search index rebuilt far outweighs any temporary cosmetic problems.

I've heard people saying that rebuilding the search index takes a lot of time, so I'm wondering if I should do that before attempting an upgrade or after it.

Could anyone advise me what order I should try to do all this stuff in?

EDIT: I've found a User Guild page called Upgrading from 3.0 to 3.2 which should help with some of my questions. But I'd still like some advice about rebuilding the search index. Can that be done both before and after an upgrade (or is it easier to rebuild the search index before...or after)?
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard

warmweer

Re: Can I go from 3.012 directly to 3.2.x?

Post by warmweer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:28 pm

Upgrading to 3.2.x is fairly straightforward but your 3.0.12 version has to be "cleaned", meaning that all modifications to the database have te be undone.

You will however want to reapply some of those "modifictaions" in the new version and for that extensions are necessary (have a look at the extension forums).

The first thing you need to do is take a full backup of your forum (empty the searchtables first- these can be repopulated onde the upgraded forum is ready).
Next I suggest you install that 3.0.12 forum on your personal (local) webserver, and this twice.
The reason for twice is that
- you will want 1 original forum for comparison purposes (3.0.12 <> 3.2.1 styles and "modifications")
- you will need the second forum to remove the modifications completely, which will result in a version you can upload to your new host and upgrade there, or to upgrade this version locally and then upload that.

As for the backup, you can use phpBB's internal backup system to download the backup files. Depending on the size of the database you may have to download tables seperately.

Once you have that backup available (for yourself) you basically don't need the old host anymore, although before deleting everything you may want to check the directories for custom images (and attachments).

BTW once you have a complete backup you can gain complete control over that forum (the backup, not the old forum on the old host) but first get the backup before the old host decides to remove everything.
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:42 pm

Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:58 pm

do you have ftp access to the old board?
most of those instructions depend on you having ftp and database access to the old host account.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Big Mac
Name: David Shepheard

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:04 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:58 pm
do you have ftp access to the old board?
most of those instructions depend on you having ftp and database access to the old host account.

robert
No I don't. But there is another person who does. He is helping me through this process. We are both learning how to do this.

The new hosting company offered to do a direct (non-upgraded import) and the other administrator was going to help me work with the hosting company to get the data moved over to the new server.

My original plan was:
  1. Move to new hosting company,
  2. Research how to deal with things that need to be deleted with 3.0.x
  3. Upgrade to 3.2.x
  4. Add in things to replace things deleted from 3.0.x
I might have to go back to that original plan as the awesome advice from Warmweer and Janus_Zonstraal will be a lot easier to follow once I have the forum on a server that I've got total access to. Right now, I'm not sure exactly how much needs to be deleted and replaced. Once I have access I can download a copy.

It's interesting that Warmweer says that the search tables need to be emptied to facilitate the upgrade. I'm super-glad for that advice as it means that time spent rebuilding them (before an upgrade) would essentially be wasted time. That's really going to help me work out the priority of the various steps.

And the advice to make two local backups is amazingly helpful. I was trying to follow the 3.0.x-to-3.1.x path, back when 3.1.x was still experimental (and not yet supported) and I didn't once figure out that running two versions of a phpBB forum would be the way to see what tweaks on the new version would replicate the features of the old version. 8-)

I think that, once I do have full access, I'll be able to start making a "hit list" of features that are going to be dropped.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:12 pm

It's interesting that Warmweer says that the search tables need to be emptied to facilitate the upgrade.
You can do it but you don't need to empty the tables.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:31 pm

Just follow the instructions provided.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:14 pm

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:12 pm
It's interesting that Warmweer says that the search tables need to be emptied to facilitate the upgrade.
You can do it but you don't need to empty the tables.
you don't NEED to empty the search tables but it really helps since it will reduce the database size by up to 2/3 which will speed up the whole export/import part of the process.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”