A friend who set up a phpBB forum back in 2008 doesn't have enough time to look after it, and I am going to take it over.
I've got several issues, and I'm trying to work out what order to do everything in.
- It's on a hosting company that wants it removed, so I've got to get it imported onto another hosting company. (Our new hosting company said they can do this.)
- The original hosting company threatened to kill my friends account if she didn't reduce the size of the data she had on her server. We were forced to kill the search index to shrink it down. So I've got to rebuild that.
- It's on 3.0.12 and I know that's not supported. So I know I've got to upgrade. Can I go directly to 3.2.x or do I have to upgrade to 3.1.x first and then upgrade a second time?
- We also have a custom forum style, some custom forum tags and things like a masthead image. I was researching 3.1 back before it went live and I know that you have killed some of that. So I need to work out what to save before an upgrade starts. (And I'll have to try to recreate custom forum tags after the migration/upgrade.)
- To add to the fun, I've only got partial admin rights on my forum account, so I might have to hack my account, from the outside, to get the button to rebuild the search engine index.
I'm trying to come up with a plan that will both minimise downtime for the forum users and also minimise the risk that we start the process of getting the forum moved to the new hosting company and get an unpleasant surprise part way through.
I guess that we can reopen with a mundane forum style (if necessary) and try to reproduce our custom one later. I'd rather not do that, but the need to get onto a supported version and get the search index rebuilt far outweighs any temporary cosmetic problems.
I've heard people saying that rebuilding the search index takes a lot of time, so I'm wondering if I should do that before attempting an upgrade or after it.
Could anyone advise me what order I should try to do all this stuff in?
EDIT: I've found a User Guild page called Upgrading from 3.0 to 3.2 which should help with some of my questions. But I'd still like some advice about rebuilding the search index. Can that be done both before and after an upgrade (or is it easier to rebuild the search index before...or after)?