is there a way to add more items to search by in the advanced search in the members section?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
menz01

is there a way to add more items to search by in the advanced search in the members section?

Post by menz01 »

Hello,
we use our forums for a club. in our club we have officers and members. we also have multiple chapters as well. In the users profile there are drop down boxes to choose your chapter and another to choose your position.

is there a way to add those fields in the advanced search section when another user clicks the "members" area and then clicks advanced search?
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: is there a way to add more items to search by in the advanced search in the members section?

Post by stevemaury »

I assume these are custom profile fields. If you made them Open goups instead (or in addition to), not only could you search by them, but you could have a different group avatar for each.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
menz01

Re: is there a way to add more items to search by in the advanced search in the members section?

Post by menz01 »

you are correct. these are "custom" fields that show on the users registration and profile pages to allow the users to make the changes themselves. is there any way to add these into the search criteria?

i see your point on how groups are already in the search fields. our club is very large and titles change all the time. so the custom profile fields allows the user to update their title without having an admin do it. I am not sure how i will be able to switch out that custom field to a group. i still need to find a way to allow the searching by the custom fields if possible
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

It is just as easy to update a group as it is to change a custom profile field. I am telling you that what you want cannot be done without an extension, and although you can search, I am unaware of the existence of one. You can request one in the Extensions Requests forum, but I would not hold your breath.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
menz01

Post by menz01 »

i really do appreciate your replies @stevemaury and i get what you are saying when you say what i am asking for cannot be done without an extension of some sort. what i guess i don't understand is when you say "just as easy to update a group as it is to change a custom profile field". i understand as administrator i can make changes to groups easily, but with the club of our size, the number of officers positions, and that they can change often, it is easier to allow the user to do this from their profile and not have to have the admin do it. i am not sure there is a way to make the groups available to the user or if that is even a smart thing to do cause then they could add themselves to what ever group they wanted.

the big issue here is that the user forums were recently moved from another BB system (not sure if its against the rules to say which one) and the user search on their was very granular and the users are asking for something similar.

i am open to suggestions that i may not be thinking about??

thanks
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

Users can change groups from their profiles if the group is an open group.
menz01

Post by menz01 »

Thank you for your assistance. I am trying to use user groups along with the custom profile fields. I made my user groups "request" type so users can request to join a group and it still can be moderated but I am still trying to figure out how "requesting" actually works

In my tests if a user requests to join a group with no group leader the request only shows up in the acp, no notification are seen. I assume if a group leader is designated he would get a notification. But does the group leader need admin rights to approve the request? Does the group leader need access to the acp to approve?
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

No, the Group Leader does not need ACP access. They can do it in their UCP.
menz01

Post by menz01 »

thanks again for the assistance and explanations

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”