Question regarding use PHPBB as a "comments section" tool and limits on the database

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Rogerjwilkinson

Question regarding use PHPBB as a "comments section" tool and limits on the database

Post by Rogerjwilkinson » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:58 pm

Hi all! Very new to well, everything.

After almost a week of all-nighters and slugging things around I've managed to get my website fully integrated with phpbb sessions, front page news served from the forum and even going so far as to use the sessions as protection on my video files served up from outside root via php (so if anyone tries to hotlink my videos they'll be redirected to my forum registration page ^_^)

So far I'm very VERY happy with all of this, even though I can't for the life of me figure out how to "serve up" pages properly, and had to use the "SQL table" method.

Here's my question - and I'm very sorry if all of this is in the wrong section please just move this - my next step was to attempt using the forums as a "comment section" on most/all my pages, just to avoid bringing in any other 3rd party scripts. The idea "seems easy" to me for the mostpart, create a hidden forum that can't be seen by anyone on the forum index page, then create a topic for each and every page I'd want a comment section for in that forum, allow the topics to be read to the external page, and jury-rig one of the external post code snippets on each page.

However when I was researching about doing this, I read that this might be way too unrealistic for phpbb, and an alternative solution would probalby me more preferable? Would the database or whatever it is eventually be able to handle this many topics created? And what about loading the index.php of the forums? If that forum is publicly hidden to all people, does going to the forum index still "read those topics" from the database and cause the strain/slow down? I guess finally, can forum topics/forums even be interacted with in the way I'm talking aobut when hidden from a groups view? As in can they still have read/post privileges if served up through another way as discussed?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and I hope the wall of text wasn't too unbearable. I suck at being consise I'm sorry.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Question regarding use PHPBB as a "comments section" tool and limits on the database

Post by stevemaury » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:00 pm

Duplicate of viewtopic.php?f=641&t=2455421- locking.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”