Cookie problem leading to not being able to login problem

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
tamara_

Cookie problem leading to not being able to login problem

Post by tamara_ »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.1
What is your board's URL? http://njjeep.org/phpbb
Who do you host your board with? InMotion
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.0-B1
What extensions do you have installed? Board Announcements, Email to user on Group status change, google analytics, oneall social login, pages, right side random image, SCSS complier, Simple mentions, Tapatalk, Viglink
What styles do you currently have installed? Digi By Arty
What language(s) is your board currently using? American Engligh
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? inmotion
What password can be used to view this issue? Test123
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Problem started when I moved the main page & forum from yahoo web hosting to InMotion web hosting.
Please describe your problem. Users have problems logging in, no matter the browser. They log in, hit submit, takes them back to a login screen. They try again, no luck. Clear cookies, that gets them in, when they go back another time, they have same loop until they clear cookies. Mostly the problem is with Edge, Safari, mobile Chrome, Firefox. In Chrome one a computer after clearing the site cookies it resolves the problem.
This morning, I had one person have trouble with login, he cleared the cookies, typed up his post, hit preview, his text was all gone.
I am able to replicate the problem when I put www.njjeep.org/phpbb, when i remove www it seems to work more than not. This is an old board, I believe most people are using a bookmark with www. when I moved to new host, the site url is http://njjeep.org
It's been tough trying to pull information out of them.
Generated by SRT Generator

Attaching my cookie settings. I have removed the cookie domain to blank, makes the problem worst. I have been wondering if changing the cookie name will force the browsers to download a new cookie. I have been hesitant to do this until I knew it would do as i think.
Also in server settings, i noticed i had "Force server URL settings" to yes. I just changed it to No, in hopes it will resolve.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Cookie problem leading to not being able to login problem

Post by stevemaury »

Change the cookie name to phpbb3_dfyx9. Then, in the ACP, main page, Purge all sessions.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
tamara_

Post by tamara_ »

stevemaury wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:51 pm Change the cookie name to phpbb3_dfyx9. Then, in the ACP, main page, Purge all sessions.
I will try that now.
tamara_

Post by tamara_ »

Thanks for the info, so far no complaints :D
apollodriver

Post by apollodriver »

good day dear Tamara_ good day dear stevemaury

first of all - many many thanks for this great thread. this is very interesting - i runned into exactly this issues: on the page https://www.wp-forum.net/

i am running php version 7.2.4 and i have installed phpBB Version 3.3.0

i have installed the privacy_plugin - written by David 1963 ( Wood ): well i have encountered very very strange behavior:
cf: viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2464776

update : this is funny and curious - at the moment i have really difficulties in logging me into the page...in other words: after setting the cookie-settings to on - and after setting the privacy to on - i have the annoying errors that is shown and described below in the picture - - and yes - i do not see the login form where i can log me into thepage
see the image: Image

full story: full story: [/b] well Tamara_ and stevemaury believe it or not: i got the annoying error with the privacypolicy - and i guess that the issue would / could have been rootet in the fact that i did not

i have not enabled the Enable the Cookie policy:

for more reporting and description of the issue - see above:
the user sometimes while login gets a blank page & www.mysite.net/privacypolicy

see the image:

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/D0DUZYj"><a href="//imgur.com/a/D0DUZYj"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

see above:

is this thinkable!?
Enable the Cookie policy:
Enable/disable all user’s requirement to accept the use of cookies, under EU Cookie directive (2012), on this board.
for some /(test-) reasons i have disabled these option some days - and i guess that this may have triggered the issue.

do you think so?

Above all - i now have enabled all and now i will have a closer look at all - and will come back and report the findings

update: after doing so i have the following errror: the page shows som annoying error -

it shows a text like this:
Thisboardusescookiestogiveyouthebestandmostrelevantexperience.Inordertousethisboarditmeansthatyouneedacceptthispolicy.brYoucanfindoutmoreaboutthecookiesusedonthisboardbyclickingthePolicieslinkatthebottomofthepage.b
look at the page: https://www.wp-forum.net/privacypolicy or https://www.wp-forum.net/

i will try to add a image with the error here:

indeed: i never ever have encountered such an error. well this is allmost crazy.. isn t it.

we use php 7.2xy

do you have any idea ?
have a great day
for Wordpress-development - i use the Toolset: http://wpgear.org/
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

This is an old topic, now marked "solved". It is always better to start your own topic, even if you think your problem is the same or similar. Please start a new topic and paste this post into the forst post of the topic.

I will lock this topic so it will be easier to find your new topic and help you.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”