3.2.2 - Slow - Starts an update of all posts every time I click

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
itsstilldre

3.2.2 - Slow - Starts an update of all posts every time I click

Post by itsstilldre » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:19 am

Hi phpBB team,

I would like to ask for your assistance. I have updated my forum to 3.2.2 fom 3.1.4.
First I got a timeout error on 74% of the installation, then - after like 3 days of browsing the internet - I found a solution: change the $dbms = 'mysql' to $dbms = 'mysqli' in my root/config.php.

After this, the update was successful.

Since then, I noticed that the forum is very slow, it takes 7-10 seconds to load anything. I guessed that maybe its because I had to delete the cache, or something, and it will be much faster over time, but it did not happen. So I have contacted my server provider. He had a look at the server log, and noticed that in every second, hundreds of update statements are running:

Code: Select all

UPDATE phpbb_posts SET post_text = '<r>Blablabla</r>' WHERE post_id =49907
UPDATE phpbb_posts SET post_text = '<r>other comment</r>' WHERE post_id =49755
In my forum, there are 80733 posts, so I thought, eventually the update statements will finish. But it seems like on every forum interaction, so any click, or navigation, the update statements start again.. This causes sometime 15-17 seconds of loading before checking out a topic.

Thanks in advance for your help!

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Re: 3.2.2 - Slow - Starts an update of all posts every time I click

Post by david63 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:49 pm

Can we have a link to your board please?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

itsstilldre

Post by itsstilldre » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:53 am

Can I kindly ask for an update regarding this issue?

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:10 pm

Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

itsstilldre

Post by itsstilldre » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:44 am

Okay, now I know, that probably, some of my cron tasks are slow.. but how do I know which one? And how to fix it?

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:47 am

Ask your host ;-)

itsstilldre

Post by itsstilldre » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:57 pm

So, as you said, I have contacted my server host.
Asked him if he know what this cron.php is, he said that he didn't know what this is, so we guessed, that there may be an option somewhere in the Administration Control Panel about this cron jobs.. After 5 minutes of search, I have found it:

General > Server Settings >

Run periodic tasks from system cron:
When off, phpBB will arrange for periodic tasks to be run automatically. When on, phpBB will not schedule any periodic tasks by itself; a system administrator must arrange for bin/phpbbcli.php cron:run to be run by the system cron facility at regular intervals (e.g. every 5 minutes).

Turn this to No. The text says that this time, the system admin must arrange the cron to run periodically for example after every 5 minutes.. So My host has changed it to run in every hour. This made all of my periodic Update statements (- all the 80000, these statements ran for 2 minutes), which seems completely pointless to run in every one hour. So, this made my forum to be slow in every hour for 2 minutes. This way, my forum worked correctly. even thoug this background job ran once in every hour. So I though, why not run it once a day, when everyone is asleep at night.
Last edited by itsstilldre on Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

P_I

Post by P_I » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:04 pm

You might consider installing the Cron Status extension to gain some further insight into what's happening with the various phpBB internal 'cron' jobs. I've been running it on my forums since upgrading to phpBB 3.2.x and have found it resolved the periodic slowness that users complained about when refreshing/reloading pages.

Unfortunately it just shows the status of the various internal phpBB 'cron' jobs and as far as I've found there is no clear explanation of purpose, operation and failure modes of the phpBB cron jobs, so interpreting the results is a bit of a challenge and takes some digging when things are going as expected.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:42 pm

If it OK for you to send mails and other things only ones a day :?:

itsstilldre

Post by itsstilldre » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:47 pm

I can post, get e-mail about it, create new topic without issues. I haven't noticed any change since my host changed the period to 1 day.

But of course, this is a "dumb" solution. Just turn off everything, that surely makes the forum faster...

So, I have installed the cron status extension. This is what it shows:
Capture.JPG
Ma = today, perccel ezelőtt = minutes ago, holnap = tomorrow
I tried to look up, what these tasks do, but currently with no luck. Maybe you guys, with more experience, can see right away which job is the slow, unnecessary one.

WelshPaul

Post by WelshPaul » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:59 pm

Going from 3.1 to 3.2 causes reparse of the BBCode does it not? It did with me. I didn't experience any slow down, I have a 2GB 2Core VPS: viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2435006

This is likely why your board is slow, shared hosting maybe?

itsstilldre

Post by itsstilldre » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:29 am

Let's assume, that the BBCode is being reparsed.. But why does it have to be reparsed in every minute, over and over again for all of my posts?

I think I have shared hosting, but this has been going for years, and I never had any issue with it.

WelshPaul

Post by WelshPaul » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:27 am

itsstilldre wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:29 am
Let's assume, that the BBCode is being reparsed.. But why does it have to be reparsed in every minute, over and over again for all of my posts?
Something for the phpBB team to answer.
itsstilldre wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:29 am
I think I have shared hosting, but this has been going for years, and I never had any issue with it.
Shared hosting has limited resources and I think what's happening here is that your host is struggling to run the cron jobs. From the link you posted, your board is small and if your host is struggling to run the cron job on such a small forum then you should consider finding a new host. At some point no matter what hosting plan we have, as traffic, activity etc increases, issues occur because our servers hardware is no longer adequate.

If there is little activity, no major traffic or resource requests then a forum will run just fine on most shared hosting plans.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”