Delete all board cookies

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Analect

Delete all board cookies

Post by Analect » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:06 pm

We're running 3.2.2, mostly with no problems, good results.
An irritated user pointed out something regarding the "Delete all board cookies" button. It seems that it correctly deletes _u _k and _sid cookies but leaves others such as those from extensions, for example login_popup_closed and cookieconsent_status .
All the cookies are correctly stored in the appropriate browser folder for our site, so it is easy for anyone to manually delete persisting cookies, if they know how and want the hassle.
So, our question is hows the easy way to make the "Delete all board cookies" button really delete all the boards cookies not just the ones with the board's prefix?

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Delete all board cookies

Post by Brf » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:59 am

To receive extension support please visit our Extensions Database and post in the specific extension's designated support area. The link to the support area for each released extension is also available in the first post of each released extension listed in the [3.2.x] Extension Database Releases forum. For extensions still in development (not recommended for a live board) support is in that extensions's topic in the Extensions in Development forum.

Analect

Post by Analect » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:51 am

Thank you, but it is the function of the non-extension, regular, as-supplied "Delete all board cookies" button that is the subject of the enquiry.
While it may be that official extensions might be a fine topic -and we will be sure to let the authors of all know, we just want the button to do as it says, delete all cookies from the board, and had hoped for a suggestion, such as making the code for the deletion more inclusive perhaps?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:58 am

there would have to be some type of integration with the cookies from every extension that has ever been made and ever might be made in order for that to happen
technically, the button does exactly what it is supposed to do. it deletes all the cookies that phpbb sets. as you have discovered, it does not delete any cookies that any third party extensions may set.

in all these years you are the first person I have seen to ever mention this issue.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:50 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:58 am
it does not delete any cookies that any third party extensions may set.
Yes it does - my Cookie Policy extension cookie is removed. It all depends on how the cookies are named.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:02 am

david63 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:50 am
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:58 am
it does not delete any cookies that any third party extensions may set.
Yes it does - my Cookie Policy extension cookie is removed. It all depends on how the cookies are named.
Exactly.
If the extenson writes the cookie with a different name than the phpBB cookie, then the default phpBB script doesn't know anything about it and can't remove it.
Having the Delete cookies button remove extension cookies may not always be a a good idea (if your cookie stores data which is retrieved and used is custom scipts). A workaround for this is storing cookie data in a temporary table which is emptied when a use logs out, or including checks for the existence of the cookie (when the data is needed), and if it doesn't, just rewrite it.
I had to do that once for a 3.0 mod (in the Bronze Age ;)) but if browser settings don't allow cookies it's waste of time anyway.
Perhaps just rephrase the Cookie Policy to include the 'special' cases.
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”