3.2.2 upgrade HTTP 500 error

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
threeonesix

3.2.2 upgrade HTTP 500 error

Post by threeonesix »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.1
What is your board's URL? http://private
Who do you host your board with? self-hosted
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.2.1
What styles do you currently have installed? default prosilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? British English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? Experienced with PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Updating from working 3.2.1 to 3.2.2
Please describe your problem. After copying the 3.2.2 files to the forum directory minus the config.php file and folders instructed to leave in place at https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... upgrade31/ I receive a HTTP 500 error. I do not know where to look for PHPBB log files on this Windows server. Nothing shows up in the Windows Application event viewer in regards to PHPBB. Also this server is running PHP v7.1.
Generated by SRT Generator
david63

Re: 3.2.2 upgrade HTTP 500 error

Post by david63 »

A 500 error is a server error and you need to look in your server error log - not phpBB error log.
threeonesix wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:03 am Who do you host your board with? self-hosted
As your server is self hosted you should have no problem finding them.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
threeonesix

Post by threeonesix »

Sorry, I thought I was looking for PHP logs instead of IIS logs.
threeonesix

Post by threeonesix »

With the debug logging lines commented out in config.php this is all I see in the IIS log file:

2018-01-22 17:24:24 ::1 GET /forum/install/ - 8081 - ::1 Mozilla/5.0+(Windows+NT+10.0;+WOW64;+Trident/7.0;+rv:11.0)+like+Gecko - 304 0 0 0
2018-01-22 17:24:24 ::1 GET /forum/install/app.php - 8081 - ::1 Mozilla/5.0+(Windows+NT+10.0;+WOW64;+Trident/7.0;+rv:11.0)+like+Gecko - 500 0 0 133

I decided to start from scratch with a new database and everything for this forum. I unpacked the 3.2.2 files and attempted a fresh installation. Exact same error message. So I tried on a completely different server loaded with the same versions of PHP and MySQL. Same exact error.

Next I restored the original 3.2.1 forum which was working fine before I attempted these upgrades. I received an error message about a missing phpbb_config_ext database table so I rebooted the server (if all else fails, reboot). When the site came back up I attempted to get to the forum again and this time the error message is that the table phpbb_ext doesn't exist. I can see that these tables exist via phpMyAdmin but when I click on them phpMyAdmin tells me they don't exist. I can physically see the tables in the database table list.

I have no idea why this would be happening, the forum was working fine as of Thursday last week. Friday morning a co-worker who manages the forum told me it would not load at all and was showing the phpbb_config_ext error. When trying to load the forum I received the same error. So now I am trying to solve the problem using a test site and test forum matching the original. I have backups of backups of backups so I'm not worried about losing anything, I just need to solve the problem of phpbb_config_ext not working.

TIA
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

make sure that your config.php file is pointing to the correct database and/or the correct set of tables ( table prefix is correct for the board you are trying to use etc. )

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

threeonesix wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:44 pm ...
Next I restored the original 3.2.1 forum which was working fine before I attempted these upgrades. I received an error message about a missing phpbb_config_ext database table so I rebooted the server (if all else fails, reboot). When the site came back up I attempted to get to the forum again and this time the error message is that the table phpbb_ext doesn't exist. I can see that these tables exist via phpMyAdmin but when I click on them phpMyAdmin tells me they don't exist. I can physically see the tables in the database table list.
That sounds like InnoDB tables being moved or emptied in an unorthodox way. Did you by any chance used to have MyISAM tables (which you could copy with your file manager) and then tried to duplicate a database by copying the files?
If that is what happened, then you can delete that database (use phpMyAdmin) and just restore a backup using phpMyAdmin.
Also, If your database has a mix of InnoDB and MyISAM tables, make sure your default database engine is set to InnoD and alter the engine for all the MyISAM tables (mixing engines had been known to cause problems)
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
threeonesix

Post by threeonesix »

For now lets forget about the problems with the upgrade and concentrate on why I am not able to start from scratch with a fresh install. I spun up a brand new WordPress installation on a brand new server. Windows Server 2016, MySQL 5.7, PHP 7.1. New database. WordPress site fired up and allowed configuration no problem. Site works fine, exactly as expected. I downloaded the PHPBB 3.2.2 zip and extracted the contents into the folder c:\inetpub\wwwroot\wordpresstest\forum\ following the New Installation instructions located at docs/INSTALL.html. I then tried to load http://localhost/forum/install/, which tried to auto-load http://localhost/forum/install/app.php and error'd with HTTP ERROR 500.

This tells me that the problem is not my server. So now let's see what happens when I try to use PHPBB 3.2.1 instead ...

... and it installs and works perfectly.

The problem with 3.2.2 is not me, it is not my server, it appears to be a bug in the installer. Else why would 3.2.1 install and work perfectly while 3.2.2 fails to even load install/app.php without a 500 error on a clean, fresh installation?
threeonesix

Post by threeonesix »

warmweer wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:29 pm That sounds like InnoDB tables being moved or emptied in an unorthodox way. Did you by any chance used to have MyISAM tables (which you could copy with your file manager) and then tried to duplicate a database by copying the files?
If that is what happened, then you can delete that database (use phpMyAdmin) and just restore a backup using phpMyAdmin.
Also, If your database has a mix of InnoDB and MyISAM tables, make sure your default database engine is set to InnoD and alter the engine for all the MyISAM tables (mixing engines had been known to cause problems)
Nope, nothing like that has ever been done on this server. The server was rebooted earlier this month; when it came back up MySQL would not start due to logfile space being consumed. I fixed that issue, rebooted the server again and MySQL had no trouble starting. At the time the forum site worked fine after the second reboot. It was only last Friday that I was notified that the forum was down so we've been trying to fix that problem since. It's not a heavily used forum, only a handful of posts per day. To our knowledge nothing happened on the server between Thursday night (working) and Friday morning (not working). Believe me, I know how that sounds, I've been doing IT work for 25 years and servers and software don't often just break themselves. Very strange indeed.
david63

Post by david63 »

threeonesix wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:44 pm The problem with 3.2.2 is not me, it is not my server, it appears to be a bug in the installer. Else why would 3.2.1 install and work perfectly while 3.2.2 fails to even load install/app.php without a 500 error on a clean, fresh installation?
If that be the case then you should report it in the bug tracker (if it has not already been reported)
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
threeonesix

Post by threeonesix »

If I can determine it to be an actual bug I will do so. Thanks for the help, everyone, it is appreciated ;)
deanmoke

Post by deanmoke »

Just upgraded from 3.2.1 using the full package and have the same problem. HTTP 500.
Dean
deanmoke

Post by deanmoke »

I got mine working again by deleting the install directory after updating the database.
Where it would normally tell you to do this and then take you to the front page which showed another reminder to delete it, this time it just went straight to HTTP 500 error.
Dean
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Please start your own topic.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”