user name change question

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
5speed

user name change question

Post by 5speed » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:23 pm

I know how to change my user name in the ACP but is their a way to change the one that shows up on my site and leave the one I used when I set it up?
I want to keep my set up user name as it is a combo of letters and numbers (for security reasons) but I don't want it displayed on the site.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: user name change question

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:49 pm

create a new user and log in with that name. leave your other user there and only login with the old username when you need to do founder/admin work on the board. oh, by the way, once you have created this new user, log in with your old admin name and make this new user admin or founder or whatever you want the new user to have.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

5speed

Post by 5speed » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:31 pm

good idea..
I'll make myself a lowly mod and let the other admin guys do the work. :mrgreen:

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:33 am

the admin only has access to the admin panel, if you are not a MOD then you have no powers to edit others posts, rearrange posts etc. etc.
you only have access to the admin panel and the permissions to do things in the admin panel.

however, by default, the board installer is a member of the admin group, he is a founder and is a member of the global moderators group as well as the registered user group.

your new admin account will not allow you to moderatre, you would need to put your new users in both the admin group and teh moderator group.

then, you can also choose which group you wish to be your default group and you will have that group's color. that means that your username will show up as a MOD if that is the group you choose for default and nobody that sees your username logged in will know that you are also an admin.
or, you could choose the registered user group as your default and nobody would know that you were anything other than a normal user based on your username color.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

5speed

Post by 5speed » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:53 am

it's my user name that I chose that I want to change the appearance of on the site..but not change in my admin profile.
I used letters and numbers to tighten security and make it harder for hackers to figure out..but if it appears on the forum..that is a moot point.
I set up another account and gave it most of the admin permissions but not everything..
If I need to tweak something I will log in with my founder account but not post with it.

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:07 am

5speed wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:53 am
I used letters and numbers to tighten security and make it harder for hackers to figure out
What difference will that make?
5speed wrote:
but if it appears on the forum
It will still appear on the board as it will be in the Member list
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

5speed

Post by 5speed » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:38 pm

david63 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:07 am
5speed wrote:
I used letters and numbers to tighten security and make it harder for hackers to figure out
What difference will that make?
5speed wrote:
but if it appears on the forum
It will still appear on the board as it will be in the Member list
Weed out the teenager hackers? :mrgreen:

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”