ACP and UCP issues following 3.0.12 to 3.2.2 upgrade

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
wedgef5

ACP and UCP issues following 3.0.12 to 3.2.2 upgrade

Post by wedgef5 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:23 pm

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.2
What is your board's URL? http://www.nfltkc.org/forum/
Who do you host your board with? GoDaddy
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.0.12
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? British English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? Experienced with PHP and phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? No answer given
What password can be used to view this issue? No answer given
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? I followed all of the steps on the "Upgrading from 3.0 to 3.2" page.
Please describe your problem. On 3.0.12, we had the Digests MOD installed. I followed all of the upgrade steps, including the database cleanup and removing all of the 3.0.12 files, as indicated. After the upgrade, our board is basically functioning, but there are clearly remnants of the Digests MOD lingering about. The UCP will not come up, giving a General Error saying that ucp/ucp_digests.php is missing. The ACP also has Digests-related entries on it.

Further, I can not access some of the style features on the ACP. The 2nd section of the left-hand menu on the "Customise" tab says "ACP_STYLE_COMPONENTS", which I think is not correct. Clicking any of the links under that section (e.g. Templates, Themes) gives a red Information banner that says "No mode specified". The third link in the "ACP_STYLE_COMPONENTS" section says "ACP_IMAGESETS", which also seems in error.

I'm puzzled by these issues, as I thought that removing everything, plus the database cleanup, should have avoided them. The database cleanup and the conversion process both completed without any errors.
Generated by SRT Generator

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: ACP and UCP issues following 3.0.12 to 3.2.2 upgrade

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:03 am

apparently you did not get the database update done properly.

those are things left over from the 3.0 database.

I would start over.

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... /upgrade3/

luck,
robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

wedgef5

Post by wedgef5 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:28 pm

Hmmm...we did like 2 hours worth of work rearranging things on our board before we realized this was going on. Further, the database cleanup and the conversion process both completed with no errors. I'm concerned that if we start over that we'll lose all of that work we did (that's a certainty), and there's no guarantee that we won't be faced with the same problem at the end.

There are just a few things that appear to be wrong. The board is otherwise working fine. Isn't there some way we can fix what's wrong in the database by hand?

Matt

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:34 am

go into the admin panel, system tab, module management, administration control panel, find those modules and delete them. if you get a message about children, you have to click on the module name and delete any modules that are below it. work your way back out until you can delete the main module.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

wedgef5

Post by wedgef5 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:27 pm

Thanks Robert. I'm having success in getting things cleaned up.

So, the entire category ACP_STYLE_COMPONENTS and everything under it (I have Templates, Themes and ACP_IMAGESETS) is not supposed to be there?

Matt

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:36 am

correct. none of those has been a part of phpbb since 3.1 came out.

there is no longer a way to edit your styles from the admin panel. you have to actually download the files and edit them on your computer and upload them back etc.
and, if you ran the STK before you started the update as suggested in the instructions, (step #5 )those should not be there.

robert

wedgef5

Post by wedgef5 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:44 am

OK...I think that's the last of the 3.0.x artifacts.

I did run the database cleaner, and I said "Yes" to everything it wanted to do, nor did I alter any of the default choices. I don't know what went awry with it.

Thanks again for your patient assistance!

Matt

alanadams

Post by alanadams » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:58 pm

Thanks for posting all of this info. I just went through the 3.0.14 to 3.2.2 process today, using the current documentation steps and recommended STK database cleanup, accepting all database cleanup that was detected same as Matt reported, but ended up with exactly the same ACP_STYLE_COMPONENTS module section present. So I just wanted to confirm that there does seem to be something to that, and not just a one-off or skipped step.

Today's upgrade was just a dry run on an non-production host using a backup of the production database, for what will be a future upgrade of the production system later. So if there is anything that would be helpful to explicitly confirm, either about the pre-upgrade database state or the items that are (and are not) detected and listed by the STK database cleanup, I'd be happy to collect and provide more info when I repeat this process at least two more times in the coming weeks.

I noticed the issue because the 3.0.14 site had an alternate "Main Logo" image specified for the "proSilver Special Edition" imageset, and I was thinking I needed to configure that again after the 3.2.2 upgrade. Just mentioning it in case the "imageset had been modified away from defaults" might play some role in what we're seeing.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:43 pm

no, in the 3.2 there is no imageset at all.

I believe that part of the upgrade instructions tell you to uninstall all styles except for prosilver.

first, set prosilver as default, then choose yes for override user then uninstall all other styles.

then run the stk again.

then see what happens with the upgrade.

robert

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:36 pm

wedgef5 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:44 am
OK...I think that's the last of the 3.0.x artifacts.

I did run the database cleaner, and I said "Yes" to everything it wanted to do, nor did I alter any of the default choices. I don't know what went awry with it.

Thanks again for your patient assistance!

Matt
The database cleaner does not remove things that were standard n the version it is running on, as those modules are.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

alanadams

Post by alanadams » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:14 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:43 pm
I believe that part of the upgrade instructions tell you to uninstall all styles except for prosilver.
Thanks, that of course sounds logical and reasonable. What I recall of that process when I went through it was "when I uninstalled all styles except proSilver", although the styles list is now empty as expected, the templates, themes and imagesets lists were still populated with other entries besides just "proSilver".

Well, I need to clarify further: I was selecting "Delete" rather than "Deactivate" for the styles other than proSilver, because I had no need for those additional styles to remain present at all once I commenced with the 3.2.2 upgrade. And yes, I was ensuring "Delete imageset" and "Delete theme" and "Delete template" where the actions selected when deleting each style.

I can confirm by inspecting the still-production 3.0.14 board that "there are more installed imagesets and themes than there are installed styles." I'm guessing it's possible that might be the crux of the issue. That there are "abandoned" imagesets / themes / templates present which were not affected by the "disable all styles except proSilver" step.

I'll be sure and explicitly clear the "Templates", "Themes" and "Imagesets" lists too during my next attempt, and confirm this eliminates the retained modules in the resulting 3.2.2 board.

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:57 pm

alanadams wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:58 pm
but ended up with exactly the same ACP_STYLE_COMPONENTS module section present.
That's a known issue with 3.2, should be solved with the upcoming 3.2.3

Edit: see https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-15595
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

alanadams

Post by alanadams » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:27 pm

canonknipser wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:57 pm
That's a known issue with 3.2, should be solved with the upcoming 3.2.3
Thanks for the confirmation. I was able to confirm at my end that even if I did explicitly go through and delete all of the orphaned "Templates", "Themes" and "Imagesets" from my 3.0.14 board -- so that "proSilver" was the ONLY installed and active item in ALL of these lists -- the ACP_STYLE_COMPONENTS section still showed up in the resulting 3.2.2 installation.

There were about 30 to 35 "orphaned" templates, themes and imagesets on this particular board, even though when deleting the actual "Styles" the templates, themes and imagesets corresponding to those styles actually had already been deleted. i.e. It's as though sometime prior on this board, someone deleted a bunch of Styles but DIDN'T specify to also remove the templates, themes and imagesets. So there were just a bunch of additional templates, themes and imagesets which had nothing to do any more with the installed Styles.

It was certainly tedious going through all 30 to 35 entries in each list. If these categories of objects simply aren't valid for 3.2.2 any more, it sure would have been nice for the "database upgrade only" option on 3.2.3 to simply remove them categorically, rather than having to individually delete. If that wasn't already the plan.

-Alan

roblom

Post by roblom » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:22 pm

I have the same problem. My question is now how do I solve this? Hope someone can help me with this.

alanadams

Post by alanadams » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:32 pm

Lumpy's second post is what's currently expected to "solve it":
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:34 am
go into the admin panel, system tab, module management, administration control panel, find those modules and delete them. if you get a message about children, you have to click on the module name and delete any modules that are below it. work your way back out until you can delete the main module.
Meaning if your 3.2.x board ends up in this state, you have to just go manually remove the ACP_STYLE_COMPONENTS module and all its child modules (Templates, Themes and ACP_IMAGESETS, if present) because they're not supposed to still be there.

What there doesn't seem to be a fix for, but may be part of 3.2.3, is how to prevent the upgrade from ending up in this state to begin with. Removing all of the styles besides proSilver before upgrading was apparently supposed to prevent this. But at least in my case this did not prevent the ACP_STYLE_COMPONENTS module from still existing after the upgrade.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”