The installer detected a timeout

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
johnno73

The installer detected a timeout

Post by johnno73 »

I have updated the board from 3.1 to the latest 3.2.2 all seems ok now I renamed the install folder but the following happened during the update:

"The installer detected a timeout

The installer has detected a timeout, you may try to refresh the page, which may lead to data corruption. We suggest that you either increase your timeout settings or try to use the CLI.

Installing Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\fix_user_styles."

As said all seems ok apart from in the ACP it says:

"Your phpBB installation has not been correctly updated."

"Incomplete update

We noticed that the last update of your phpBB installation hasn’t been completed. Visit the database updater, ensure Update database only is selected and click on Submit. Don't forget to delete the "install"-directory after you have updated the database sucessfully."

The datebase updater just takes me back to the "The installer detected a timeout" message as above.

Any ideas?

Many thanks
Webmasterks

Re: The installer detected a timeout

Post by Webmasterks »

It's not of any help, but I am in the same pickle (although I've used the automatic updater for updating 3.2.1 > 3.2.2) and I really don't know what to do about it :-\

My forum seems to work, but the ACP says it detected an incomplete update. It says to follow the database updater and to make sure that only "Update database" is selected, but since there was a time out, it goes directly to "Continue updating" or words to that effect. Right after I click that, the time out occurs again. So, I seem to be in an everlasting loop until I figure out how to update the database without using the automatic updater.

(This is the last time I've used the automatic updater, it has never worked without any errors for me).
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

one of the first things to check when you have this problem is to make sure you have mysqli instead of mysql in your config.php file.

that fixes this in many cases.

also, if you attempted to use the auto update at any time for 3.1 to 3.2 you really should start over with the database update.

download the complete 3.2.2 package. unzip it, upload the folder named install to the server, delete everything but the index.htm and the htaccess files from the cache folder.

open the store folder and do the same thing.

then, go to yourdomain.com/yourhpbb/install
click on update
keep clicking on update database until you get a screen that says update database only.
click on that and submit.
let it run, it may take a long time, you may have to refresh/restart it, be patient, it could be an hour or more etc.

see if that helps.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Webmasterks

Post by Webmasterks »

Thanks Robert,

I had already downloaded the full package and replaced my files on the server with them. I ran the update script again, but I got the time out again. I then went into my config.php and changed the "mysql" to "mysqli" and ran the updater again. And this time it finished without a hitch.

How come the config.php suddenly needs "mysqli" instead of "mysql", which has been in there like that for as long as I can remember?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

has something to do with newer php versions . in php mysql has been deprecated . '
robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
johnno73

Post by johnno73 »

Worked a treat, thanks! :)
Webmasterks

Post by Webmasterks »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:36 am has something to do with newer php versions . in php mysql has been deprecated . '
robert
Thanks for clearing that up. It would be great if that little explanation would be part of the update tutorial. That would save a lot of people a lot of time, because if you Google for the problem I had, I am certainly not the only person to have encountered the very same issue.

Thanks again.
aremef

Post by aremef »

yeah, this really needs to be documented in the upgrade doc. I've been running phpbb on straight-up mysql for a long time, and would not have guessed I needed to tell it to use mysqli. I mean, that's a whole diffent db, right?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

It’s a PHP thing not phpBB, mysqli has been there for a long time but now mysql has been deprecated mysqli has to be adopted. If you want it added to the documentation you should make an RFC at Area51.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
citroen

Post by citroen »

Webmasterks wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:54 am Thanks Robert,

I had already downloaded the full package and replaced my files on the server with them. I ran the update script again, but I got the time out again. I then went into my config.php and changed the "mysql" to "mysqli" and ran the updater again. And this time it finished without a hitch.

How come the config.php suddenly needs "mysqli" instead of "mysql", which has been in there like that for as long as I can remember?
went into my config.php and changed the "mysql" to "mysqli" and ran the updater again

Worked for me. Just now.
$dbms = 'mysqli';
Mucho thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I used the "Updating 3.2.x KB" article method. The Automatic Update method just doesn't work anymore.
Logic will take you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”