New hosting and phpbb install with old database

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
allanforest

New hosting and phpbb install with old database

Post by allanforest » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:48 pm

I want to move an old phpbb 3.0.12 forum to a new hosting. I'm wondering if it is best to use a new phpbb install using a cpanel and import the old database to update or upload the old database and old files initially and then do an update to 3.2? I've tried both ways with issues where the database updater times out and no matter how much I increase it, it has no effect. But if I import the old database into a new install, it is not recognized to do an update. What is the best way to do this?

Thanks,
Allan

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: New hosting and phpbb install with old database

Post by stevemaury » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:14 pm

Best way is to do this - https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... /upgrade3/ . You will have to export your existing database and import it to the database server on the new host and edit config.php to point to that server with the correct dbusername and password.

We do not support cPanel installations.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

allanforest

Post by allanforest » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:55 pm

Thank you. I'll try that.

allanforest

Post by allanforest » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:00 pm

I set up the database, uploaded the files by ftp and went to the install folder to update and got this message: The installer detected a timeout
The installer has detected a timeout, you may try to refresh the page, which may lead to data corruption. We suggest that you either increase your timeout settings or try to use the CLI.

It doesn't work no matter what timeout settings I'm using. I'm not familiar with the CLI. I'm hoping to run this on php 7 to be on the same hosting as a subdomain with a wordpress website.

Any suggestions?

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:38 pm

Try to change mysql to mysqli in the config.php

Or post the complete error message here.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”