Complete Newbie requires initial guidence

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
akwexavante

Complete Newbie requires initial guidence

Post by akwexavante » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:49 pm

Hoping someone can offer a little initial guidance.

A little background first.....
I have some apache2 server experience but not a lot.
Again i have some SuSE Linux OS experience but not a lot.
I have my own (Old) SuSE linux server that has been running 24/7/365/9 to host my own websites for two small businesses (Holiday Lets).

I am thinking of creating and hosting a phpBB forum and may be replacing my existing server for a new one as part of this process. Haven’t researched or looked at hosting elsewhere yet as an option.

I have absolutely no experience at all whatsoever of phpBB software or the demands it may subject to a server as regards to memory usage and volume of data a forum may demand on a hard drive. What would be a recommended CPU, Memory Capacity and hard drive size?

Users will almost certainly want to use images within their posts and have hyperlinks to external websites and resources.

It’ll have to pay for itself with ads. Can a worthwhile living be made from displaying ads on a forum? Not sure what I mean by worthwhile but it must be enough to cover costs plus an income of some sorts.

What sort of income could be expected?

Any initial advice and suggestions much appreciated

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Complete Newbie requires initial guidence

Post by stevemaury » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:30 pm

akwexavante wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:49 pm
Hoping someone can offer a little initial guidance.

A little background first.....
I have some apache2 server experience but not a lot.
Again i have some SuSE Linux OS experience but not a lot.
I have my own (Old) SuSE linux server that has been running 24/7/365/9 to host my own websites for two small businesses (Holiday Lets).

I am thinking of creating and hosting a phpBB forum and may be replacing my existing server for a new one as part of this process. Haven’t researched or looked at hosting elsewhere yet as an option.

I have absolutely no experience at all whatsoever of phpBB software or the demands it may subject to a server as regards to memory usage and volume of data a forum may demand on a hard drive. What would be a recommended CPU, Memory Capacity and hard drive size?

Well, at first you probably won't have many users and posts, so not much load. The files do not take a lot of space - < 40 MiB. But attachment files an take up whatever. Terabyte HDs are under $100, so . . . phpBB itself does not use a great amount of CPU or memory, but the database might. I would think a Gigabyte for the db would be WAAY more than enough.

Users will almost certainly want to use images within their posts and have hyperlinks to external websites and resources.

It’ll have to pay for itself with ads. Can a worthwhile living be made from displaying ads on a forum?

Very difficult and it will take a long time. What is the subject matter of your board to be?

Not sure what I mean by worthwhile but it must be enough to cover costs plus an income of some sorts.

What costs? You are hosting on your own server and phpBB is free, so domain registration? $10/year?

How long is a string?

For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

akwexavante

Post by akwexavante » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:24 am

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.

I was thinking a 500GB for the OS and a 1TB drive for databases and images, a dual core processor and as much memory as affordable 32GB perhaps.

Your other answers are not at all unexpected and yes it depends on the nature of the forum and its popularity.

I don't want to disclose the nature of the forum as a reader could perhaps jump in and get it up and running before the end of the today. However i have i believe already purchased the registration of what i hope will be the best domain name for the forum i have in mind.

I'm gobsmacked to find that it hasn't allready been taken and several forums don't already exist given the popularity of a recent TV program about the subject.

Parts to build my new server ordered. I'm sure i'll have lots of questions to ask regarding the setup etc later next week. I'll need plenty of paracetamols too i'm sure.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:05 am

Hosting is so cheap these days surely it's simpler just to pay for that. Then you can just get the cheapest shared hosting there is and as the board grows you can upgrade the hosting package to fit. If the board doesn't take off after a year then you'll barely be out of pocket.
stevemaury wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:30 pm
It’ll have to pay for itself with ads. Can a worthwhile living be made from displaying ads on a forum?
Covering cheap server costs with ads is relatively easy but you'll be lucky to make more than $100/m out of a board unless you have serious amounts of direct sponsorship and they're willing to pay handsomely for it.

You're approaching it from the standpoint that it's going to be huge and make money. It's more likely to be quite the opposite for the first 1-3 years so it's not worth spending out until you know it's sustainable.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

akwexavante

Post by akwexavante » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:26 am

Thank you again.

My current server is 9yrs old and requires replacing anyway, it's a lot more than just a webserver in reality, it's the backbone of my office network.

$100/month isn't bad to start with and there is potential for direct sponsorship from a number of existing, very popular and well established related businesses.

I know it will be a slow process to start with having established three other businesses over the last 23yrs i know how difficult it can be. I retire in 7yrs'ish it would be nice to think of this as a small pension or a decent holiday once a year and something to keep my brain going at retirement.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:30 am

Don’t hold your breath.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.
Forza Garibaldi

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:35 pm

akwexavante wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:49 pm
It’ll have to pay for itself with ads. Can a worthwhile living be made from displaying ads on a forum? Not sure what I mean by worthwhile but it must be enough to cover costs plus an income of some sorts.

Keep in mind that phpbb.com is a site dedicated to phpBB.
akwexavante wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:24 am
Parts to build my new server ordered. I'm sure i'll have lots of questions to ask regarding the setup etc later next week. I'll need plenty of paracetamols too i'm sure.
Similarly here; if your concern is the setup and working of phpBB: no worries, support here is more than one could dare ask or expect.
However, server setup is way beyond the scope of this forum.
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

akwexavante

Post by akwexavante » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:53 pm

building and setting up a server is of no concern as i'm more than familiar with this process but setting up phpBB and looking after it is something completely new indeed. But initially all i hoped for is an idea of what a phpBB forum would demand of the hardware resourses. Which i hope i have established.

Thnk you all those that have contributed thus far to my questions, much appeciated.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:02 pm

Just jumping in at the end, you'll find that most cheap, shared hosting will handle a phpBB installation. If you're not sure show the prospective host the basic phpBB 3.2 requirements. Avoid GoDaddy.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.
Forza Garibaldi

akwexavante

Post by akwexavante » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:09 pm

Thank you for the link, very helpful and will greatly help getting it installed and setup.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”