Blocking IP addresses

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Furball Zen

Blocking IP addresses

Post by Furball Zen »

Prior to the recent upgrade to 3.2 from 3.0, i had a butt load of IP addresses that were banned from joining and that list did not come over from the old install. I cant seem to find where to edit this on 3.2, or im just too tired and missing it. Not sure where to find that list on the old install either.
I am the almighty Furball Zen. Hear me fluff.

Site Admin: too many to list ;)
Port 80 is for your server, port 3306 is for your db :)
If your forum displays correctly in IE, it needs to be fixed :)
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Blocking IP addresses

Post by stevemaury »

It's in the database, but blocking IPs wastes resources and is ineffective. Give me 5 minutes in your ACP and I will block all your spam forever.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Furball Zen

Post by Furball Zen »

Should i make a username for you or give you my details?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Furball Zen wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:03 am Should i make a username for you or give you my details?
You can do either. Or change your password, tell Steve the 'new' one, let him fiddle about and then change it back to your normal one afterwards.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Banning an IP is only useful if you have out of control poster/spam bot that is re-registering with same IP. In that case you would ban for a few days. That would stop the bot but the human poster will usually move onto proxy server etc.

One thing to bear in mind about banning IP's is it may be used by hundreds or even thousands of people, a college campus for example. The other issue is it often changes for the person using it so the next person that gets it would be banned from your site. That is why you would only use a ban of very short duration.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

Create an account, make it a Founder and PM me the username and password. You can delete the account when I am done.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Furball Zen

Post by Furball Zen »

thecoalman wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:49 pm Banning an IP is only useful if you have out of control poster/spam bot that is re-registering with same IP. In that case you would ban for a few days. That would stop the bot but the human poster will usually move onto proxy server etc.

One thing to bear in mind about banning IP's is it may be used by hundreds or even thousands of people, a college campus for example. The other issue is it often changes for the person using it so the next person that gets it would be banned from your site. That is why you would only use a ban of very short duration.
I banned entire countries, i dont care lol. It worked for the most part.
stevemaury wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:02 pm Create an account, make it a Founder and PM me the username and password. You can delete the account when I am done.
Ok.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Banning anything by IP is pretty much a waste of time and server resources.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
danielpryor
Name: Daniel Pryor

Post by danielpryor »

stevemaury wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:02 pm Create an account, make it a Founder and PM me the username and password. You can delete the account when I am done.
Could you help me please, my spambot situation is out of control on my forum? I'd be willing to create a founder account, etc for you.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

first, let us have the link to your board so we can test.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
danielpryor

Post by danielpryor »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:57 pm first, let us have the link to your board so we can test.

robert
www.mapforgeforum.com

thank you
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

What you are doing now is completely unnecessary. PM me a founder account and I will stop your spam.
danielpryor

Post by danielpryor »

stevemaury wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:09 pm What you are doing now is completely unnecessary. PM me a founder account and I will stop your spam.
Thank you so much for your help! You rock! I totally owe you one!
KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

Thank you for those who have commented in this topic. 8-)

Over time, we had developed a substantial IP ban list. Some of these bans were historical from many years ago due to users who tried to circumvent bans - at the time they served a purpose but those users are long gone. As an anti-spam measure the list is useless. Even if implemented at a server level, it would seem a waste of resources. As a test, I cleared the IP ban list and I got a measurable improvement in server performance. Spam bot registrations have not become a problem since.

Thank you again.
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com
danielpryor

Post by danielpryor »

Nope, didn't work, spammer is back! wow, how lame.
Any way to set this up so no one can post unless i "approve" it? I've tried and no matter how I set it up, this guy gets through?

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”