outdated email address of admin

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
marsmuusse

outdated email address of admin

Post by marsmuusse »

Hi,
Anyone has come accross this?
As admin I run the forum for ages with auto login in chrome. Recently I upgraded to windows 10 and therefore my password was asked for while logging in. I can't remember which password was used and asked to send me a new password. However, over the last years, the email provider (wanadoo.nl) I used to register, no longer exists. What to do?
I asked for a new password to be sent to me, but I can not access this provider anymore. And I can not login to change my email address because I have no password to login. Main problem: I'm the administrator...

Any suggestions?
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: outdated email address of admin

Post by thecoalman »

In your hosting control panel you can use phpMyAdmin, run the following, which will create an admin user named Admin1 with a password of admin. From that point you should be able to get into the ACP.

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO phpbb_users (user_type, group_id, username, username_clean, user_regdate, user_password, user_email, user_lang, user_style, user_rank, user_colour, user_posts, user_permissions, user_ip, user_birthday, user_lastpage, user_last_confirm_key, user_post_sortby_type, user_post_sortby_dir, user_topic_sortby_type, user_topic_sortby_dir, user_avatar, user_sig, user_sig_bbcode_uid, user_jabber, user_actkey, user_newpasswd) VALUES (3, 5, 'Admin1', 'admin1', 0, '21232f297a57a5a743894a0e4a801fc3', '[email protected]', 'en', 1, 1, 'AA0000', 1, '', '', '', '', '', 't', 'a', 't', 'd', '', '', '', '', '', '');
Change your table prefix if it is not phpbb_

See Executing SQL Queries in phpMyAdmin if you are unfamiliar with running database queries.

As soon as you have done this, use the temporary admin account to change the details on the original admin account, then delete the temporary account.
This is because:
  1. anyone could use that account to log in to your board if you didn't change the password.
  2. this temporary user has not been fully set up (e.g. it is not a member of the "Registered users" group, so it won't have normal access to your forums).
To remove the account you will first need to remove ???founder??? status from it: ACP > USERS AND GROUPS tab > Manage Users > Admin1 > Overview > Founder = No
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: outdated email address of admin

Post by stevemaury »

Once you have access, change the email address.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”