User registration settings: Account activation

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Timmer

User registration settings: Account activation

Post by Timmer »

After being hit by a few spam accounts that created 300 posts each, I went poking around in my Account activation settings.

In there, I found these options:
  • Disable registration
  • No activation (immediate access)
  • By user (email verification) selected
  • By admin
For Spambot Countermeasures, I was using the reCaptcha plugin.

I switched to "By admin" and within minutes, besides my test, I already have two pending. My board is not popular so these are assumed to be bots.

My question is this: How do I know by reviewing new accounts if they are legitimate or not? I can view IP address, email address, and their choice of username. That's about it.

Based on that limited information, how does one make a decision if the account is legitimate or not? Is there a way to give them a short text box to provide additional information about themselves and why they seek an account?

Anything else I should know or should be doing? Thanks!

warmweer

Re: User registration settings: Account activation

Post by warmweer »

Timmer wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:37 pm
After being hit by a few spam accounts that created 300 posts each, I went poking around in my Account activation settings.
For Spambot Countermeasures, I was using the reCaptcha plugin.
Forget reCaptcha, it's been broken since eons ;-)
Just use a Q&A which can't be googled (ex. what's the third word in the description of this forum, spelled backwards and with inverted capitalisation) .
I still have to find a bot that cracks this. (BTW I have found users who haven't cracked it yet :lol: )
Brexit and Trump are old news and currently I have no inspiration for a new signature.
Ow, wait: 3.3 has been released.

Timmer

Post by Timmer »

warmweer wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:05 pm
Just use a Q&A which can't be googled
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm currently pondering a question that won't boggle the brains of new users too much.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Timmer wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:37 pm
My question is this: How do I know by reviewing new accounts if they are legitimate or not? I can view IP address, email address, and their choice of username. That's about it.

Based on that limited information, how does one make a decision if the account is legitimate or not? Is there a way to give them a short text box to provide additional information about themselves and why they seek an account?
IP is generally all you need to look at. Anything from the usual suspects like Russia, China, Ukraine, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Philippines, Thailand or Vietnam are most likely spambots. You can ban *@*.ru in the email list to save you a bit of time :)

As explained by warmweer though, a good Q&A matched with the newly registered users group set on 1 post is usually all you need.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Timmer

Post by Timmer »

KevC wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:51 pm
IP is generally all you need to look at. Anything from the usual suspects like Russia, China, Ukraine, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Philippines, Thailand or Vietnam are most likely spambots. You can ban *@*.ru in the email list to save you a bit of time :)
Thanks. I did use the "Whois" function and identified three from Ukraine. I think they all used Gmail accounts.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Timmer wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:14 pm
warmweer wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:05 pm
Just use a Q&A which can't be googled
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm currently pondering a question that won't boggle the brains of new users too much.

Mine is simply "Type in the word *someword* without the asterisks".
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

one of mine is just telling them to look at the word typed in red at the bottom of the register page that they are on. then I type in a word in red on that html page.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

warmweer

Post by warmweer »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:28 am
one of mine is just telling them to look at the word typed in red at the bottom of the register page that they are on. then I type in a word in red on that html page.

robert
If I were to use that (exact phrasing), I'ld get tons of emails asking me : "I'm looking at the word typed in red at the bottom of the register page but what do I have to do now?" :mrgreen:
Brexit and Trump are old news and currently I have no inspiration for a new signature.
Ow, wait: 3.3 has been released.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

ok , you got me. I usually try to be more accurate when I post. :oops:

it actually says this:
copy and paste the word in red at the bottom right of this form.:
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”