Best/easiest way to downgrade to previous version after failed upgrade

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
buksida

Best/easiest way to downgrade to previous version after failed upgrade

Post by buksida »

Trying to upgrade from 3.2.0 to 3.2.2 completely screwed the forum up so I need to go back to the last working version. The database update failed and there doesn't seem to be a workaround, we've been offline for a few hours now and I need to get the forum back online.

Can I just use the 'old' folder from inside the 3.2.2 install directory to overwrite the already modified files?
I tried using a previous install but it wouldn't let me do that as it recognized already updated files.

What about the database, would that be partially updated or still on 3.2.0?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Best/easiest way to downgrade to previous version after failed upgrade

Post by KevC »

Restore the back ups you should have made before you started.
buksida wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:48 pm and there doesn't seem to be a workaround,
To be fair it's not long since you posted. It's not like there's a 5 page topic with multiple things being tried and failing.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
buksida

Post by buksida »

So the 'old' folder that the install package makes when it updates is not useable?

Is there somewhere I can download the 3.2.0 package and install that from scratch?

Will it work with the current database even though the upgrade failed?

I'm just trying to get back online asap.

Thanks.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

buksida wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:29 pm 1. So the 'old' folder that the install package makes when it updates is not useable?

2.Is there somewhere I can download the 3.2.0 package and install that from scratch?

3. Will it work with the current database even though the upgrade failed?

I'm just trying to get back online asap.

Thanks.
1. Perhaps yes, perhaps no. Nobody here knows what's inside that 'old' folder (whether it's complete or not)

2. Probably the same place you downloaded 3.2.0 in the first place. Dit you look at the annoucement page: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2399606

3. That depends on what has changed in the database. You could always install a new fresh 3.2.0 and compare the failed update database with the clean 3.2.0
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

phpbb does not make a "old" folder when it updates. so no idea where that came from.

if you did not make a complete backup of your board ( files and databaes) before you started then you really need to complete the update.

this should not be a problem.

you replace all the old files with new ones except for the config.php file. then you run the database update from the folder named install and you are done.

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ating-32x/

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:46 pm phpbb does not make a "old" folder when it updates. so no idea where that came from.
Inside the install folder after the auto update package has run there are two folders 'new' and 'old'. I presumed the old was the pre-modified files.

Attempting the complete update now - hoping that the DB hasn't been messed up.

I presume I will need to re-do all of my css edits, layout and sidebar addons, ads and banners, and update all of the extensions also?

This is such an arduous way of updating software, wordpress does it automatically without you even having to login - this has taken me over a full day to get this fixed!
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I know that the autoupdate method is still suggested in the admin panel and maybe even on the download /kb pages. however, it is not the best way to update a 3.1 > board. since the change to extensions there is no longer any reason for most users to be editing any of the php files.
even the standard style files don't have to be edited, you simply create your own custom style and update it separately.

if you follow the standard way of updating it should not take more than an hour or so at the most.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I've just done this to the letter: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ating-32x/

Still get the same DB errors.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Just tried it with the full 3.2.1 package and STILL get the same error when it comes to updating the DB.

Please can someone suggest how to get the database connected to the software again? ???
buksida

Post by buksida »

It looks like the code on 3.2.2 auto update is flawed and the process should not be attempted. (There are no end of users with problems with it posting in this section). No suggestion worked indicating that there isnt one, thanks to those that replied though.

The ONLY way I managed to get the forum back was to delete the entire file structure, reboot the server, and re-upload 3.2.0 from scratch - which connected to the database as it did before. 16 hours of downtime wasted.

I will NEVER update this software again.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

You probably didn't clear the cache so you were looking at cached pages and processes rather than the new ones.

Delete everything in the /cache folder (except index.htm and htaccess) and also the /store/install_config.php file and it should be fine.
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
buksida

Post by buksida »

I must have cleared that cache and store folder at least 18 times. If it was as simple as that all the other people wouldn't have had the same issue (and most of their threads remain unresolved too).

I used different browsers and machines, and reinstalled using 3.2.2 auto update - 3.2.2 full package - 3.2.1 full package. And finally the only thing that worked, a complete file system deletion and a fresh install with 3.2.0.

So that is where the forum must remain for ever (unless I want another 18 hour outage and no solutions whatsoever in fixing it).
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Did you do an offline test update first?

The one topic you've linked to has a user that hasn't come back for 2 weeks so the assumption is they got it to work.
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

You always, ALWAYS make a backup before you update. And you should make periodic backups. Since the database was updated it will be hell to revert. If you have a backup of the database and the files, rewrite your public_html back and update the database with phpmyadmin from your backup.

If you don't have a backup your are SOL pretty much. Best of luck.
Morpheus: Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You'll have to see it for yourself.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
The nature of my chosen username
:ugeek:
buksida

Post by buksida »

KevC wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:52 am The one topic you've linked to has a user that hasn't come back for 2 weeks so the assumption is they got it to work.
Or they did what I did and went back to a previous version that did work.

Yes, I had backups - without them this "upgrade" would have destroyed ten years of forum.

This forum should be about help and support so when someone else has this problem and reads these threads (hopefully before upgrading), they'll know that the only way out of it is a fresh install with an earlier version.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”