I want to say thank you and one final question

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
TheButcher2

I want to say thank you and one final question

Post by TheButcher2 »

Hi

I am really pleased with phpbb and the support forum here on this community, I think I ma finally done with my forum and want to say thank you to everyone here who helped me out over the past 3 weeks.

I have one final question, what happens when there is an update to 3.2.2 since I have monkeyed around with the script and prosilver file templates.
I am assuming any update to an updated version or the theme will sort of screw my existing changes.

Thank you

Peace
Last edited by thecoalman on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary link.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: I want to say thank you and one final question

Post by warmweer »

TheButcher2 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:46 pm I am really pleased with phpbb and the support forum here on this community, I think I ma finally done with my forum and want to say thank you to everyone here who helped me out over the past 3 weeks.
It's nice from you to give a thanks to the team. It doesn't happen often enough?
TheButcher2 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:46 pm I have one final question, what happens when there is an update to 3.2.2 since I have monkeyed around with the script and prosilver file templates.
I am assuming any update to an updated version or the theme will sort of screw my existing changes.
If you have changes in the php-files and templates you could always try to re-apply those manually or use the autoupdate package. However autoupdate is always risky so my option would be manual (at least you'll know exactly what has been changed).
Another thing is that you should try the update on localhost or on a parallel online system before doing it online.

AND!, always make a backup (files and database) before autoupdating or manual patching! (this can't be emphasised enough).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I think that all of your changes have been to the style files and not to any of the php files.

as for the changes to prosilv er here is what you can do to solve the updates overwriting your changes:

make a copy of the prosilver folder, save it to your computer.

change the name of the folder to whatever you want; mystyle, promine, etc.
doesn't matter.
now, open that folder and you will see a file named style.cfg
open that file in your text editor.

where it says style name =prosilver. change that to whatever you named the folder.

save, and then upload that renamed folder to your styles directory on the server.

now, go into your admin panel and click on the customise tab.
under install styles you will see your new custom style, install it,

on the board settings page, set it to default and guest and overwrite user to yes.

now, whenever you update, you simply replace all phpbb old files with new ones. that will overwrite the style named prosilver with brand new files.
now you have to find out what the prosilver changes were in the update and make those changes manually to your custom style

done.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

I keep a list of any files I edit. All edits are commented so I know why it was changed, within templates you can use this for comment:

Code: Select all

<!-- IF 0 -->Your comment<!-- ENDIF -->
You can also use that to remove code without actually removing it.

When a new version comes out download the changed files package which only has files that have changed since last version. Check if any of the files in that package are on your list of files you edited. If any of them are use a tool like Winmerge to compare and merge your edits.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Or comment with Twig template syntax

{# this is a comment #}
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

3Di wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:45 am Or comment with Twig template syntax

{# this is a comment #}
I'm not familiar with twig, thanks for that. That will tidy some things up.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
TheButcher2

Post by TheButcher2 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:11 pm I think that all of your changes have been to the style files and not to any of the php files.

as for the changes to prosilv er here is what you can do to solve the updates overwriting your changes:

make a copy of the prosilver folder, save it to your computer.

change the name of the folder to whatever you want; mystyle, promine, etc.
doesn't matter.
now, open that folder and you will see a file named style.cfg
open that file in your text editor.

where it says style name =prosilver. change that to whatever you named the folder.

save, and then upload that renamed folder to your styles directory on the server.

now, go into your admin panel and click on the customise tab.
under install styles you will see your new custom style, install it,

on the board settings page, set it to default and guest and overwrite user to yes.

now, whenever you update, you simply replace all phpbb old files with new ones. that will overwrite the style named prosilver with brand new files.
now you have to find out what the prosilver changes were in the update and make those changes manually to your custom style

done.

robert

Thank you Lumpy, I just did that. Much appreciate the help and to everyone who walked me through the changes.

I wish you all the very best.

peace

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”