Slow typing response

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
MACVB

Slow typing response

Post by MACVB » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:59 am

A number of people on my forum (not all and not myself) are complaining of issues when trying to type a message

ie
Since a few days (last weekend) I have very big trouble to post it is very slow, I can't read what I typed... am I the only one? I'm using Chrome...
I'm having the same problem. Also started at the weekend and still as bad. Driving me crazy. Also use Chrome.
about to post that I am on Chrome w/no problems -when my posting went all bonkers as well
Will post more when settles down - I have to correct my typing too much to be cohesive w/o being able to see it
I use Google Chrome and I'm having the same problem especially when I type fast, but ONLY on this site and not on other sites.
I have the latest Chrome version installed.
I'm using
Board version: 3.2.1
Database server: MySQL(i) 5.6.38
GZip compression: Off
PHP version: 5.4.45

I've asked people to check they are using the latest version of Chrome, etc but that last post implies that's not the issue and it's just my site.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Any suggestions as to solutions?

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Slow typing response

Post by Mick » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:11 am

Has it always been like that or did it just start out of the blue? Did you, to the best of your knowledge, do anything that could have caused the problem?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:24 am

Any extensions installed recently?
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

MACVB

Post by MACVB » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:29 am

It seems to have happened out of the blue.

I haven't made any changes for some time. I added extensions when we first converted to 3.2 but that was months ago.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:10 am

Generally speaking if you’ve done nothing to cause the issue then your host must have done something. Ask your host what they did about the time this started. I’m not certain about the Chrome thing though.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:47 am

You should probably define exactly what "Slow typing response" means.
I wrote the thing that does BBCodes in 3.2.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:21 pm

That is odd, considering phpBB has nothing to do with the textbox you are typing into.
The typing is between whatever device you are typing on and your webbrowser. This is probably the side-effect of using some sort of spell-check in your browser or device software.

MACVB

Post by MACVB » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:39 pm

But people are saying that it only happens on my site.

I have asked my service provider if they have done anything but as yet I have had no response.

My feeling is that it is more to do with the users that are having this problem but don't know how to convince them it's not my site.

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:31 pm

Link to your forum would probably help.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

MACVB

Post by MACVB » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:55 pm

My board is for registered users only. Not sure if that would help anyway since it doesn't happen to everybody. I can't replicate the issue myself.

The latest I have is this from a fourth user -
I have no problem typing on my Samsung tablet, but yesterday I was using my Toshiba laptop and it was a real struggle as the others have described. I am using my tablet now and it is easy peasy.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:11 pm

Without a link, we cannot be of much further help. Make an account. Make a forum visible only to that account by making a group with Never permissions for all other forums and a Yes for that one and put the account in that group. When we're done, delete the account and the forum. No one will ever see your board.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:34 pm

the common denominator here seems to be chrome browser. I don't use it so all I can tell you is what I have seen here lately.
'there are quite a few problems with the latest couple of chrome updates apparently.

not sure what chrome changed but it does seem to be having a problem with phpbb.

ask them to downgrade a couple of versions of chrome and check.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:20 pm

I don't know about that. If I had to choose to bet against the most used browser in the world or against an unknown site that nobody here has access to, I'd bet against the latter.

My money is on some extension/style's JavaScript going berserk. Of course, this guess is worth zero considering the entire topic is fact-free.
MACVB wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:55 pm
Not sure if that would help anyway since it doesn't happen to everybody. I can't replicate the issue myself.
I'm going to be frank with you; None of the information you provided is useful, which means the odds that our random guesses will fix it are very low and the chances everybody is wasting their time are very high. If you don't care about wasting people's time, you don't have to do anything. However, if you do care about that, you should definitely provide a way to replicate the issue on your website or a copy of it.
I wrote the thing that does BBCodes in 3.2.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:28 pm

good point, but it is a strange coincedence.
if the problem is the same one I experience from time to time with firefox it usually relates to some firefox extension I have installed. when I remove them, the typing delay going away.

hard to say exactly what it is.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

MACVB

Post by MACVB » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:52 pm

Thanks for the helpful reply JoshyPHP

I have just upgraded to the latest version of chrome and am experiencing similar issues to those my users are describing.

Basically you start to type at a normal pace but it takes a while for the screen to catch up.

I.e.

Type this sentence and all you will see for a second or so is

Type this s

I am not having that experience on here.

If you really want to register for my forum and try for yourself then the link is http://vamosbrigade.com/phpBB3/ucp.php?mode=register

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”