Upgrading to 3.2

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
shinntorg

Upgrading to 3.2

Post by shinntorg »

Looking for some advice as I'm going forward. I'll throw my support template info here now, pretty sure it covers everything. I'm yet to do anything besides back things up, read and become frozen in place. It's 3.2 from 1.0.6 a dinosaur.

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.6
What is your board's URL? http://expiation-guild.org/phpbb/index. ... dc47cef9e2
Who do you host your board with? GoDaddy
How did you install your board? Someone else installed my board for me
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.0.6
What styles do you currently have installed? Prosilver, Subsilver2, AcidTech, Expiation (currently in use)
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? My site was migrated to a new Hosting Server. I didn't design the site myself. It is a joomla based site with the phpBB bridged to it. I fixed connection strings and then heavily edited the databse to run on MySQL 5.5, mostly a large quantity of duplicate entries on the worldlist table. The forums themselves work fine other than being rather unsecure.
Please describe your problem. I'm looking to upgrade to a phpBB 3.2 and unbridge, as the joomla issue is far larger than the phBB issues. I'm trying to not lose the content and layout. I've been searching the forums for similar problems/questions, but they all seem very specific to an individuals current setup.
Generated by SRT Generator
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Upgrading to 3.2

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

you should be able to update straight to 3.2 from where you are.
the most important thing is a database backup.

Upgrading from phpbb 3.0.x to phpbb 3.2.x

Notes:
  • Your server must be running at least PHP 5.4 or higher.
  • phpBB 3.2 is not compatible with 3.0 and most of the previous files will need to be removed prior to upgrading.
  • Styles and MODs from 3.0 cannot be installed on phpBB 3.2. To upgrade, perform the following steps:
  1. Make a back-up of the original files and database
  2. Deactivate all styles except for prosilver
  3. Remove all MOD-related changes from the database. The Support Toolkit's Database Cleaner can be used for this.
  4. Ensure that the activated spambot countermeasure is one of the standard phpBB plugins (Simple image, GD image, GD 3D image, Q&A, reCaptacha).
  5. Set British English as the only language pack and delete all other language pack directories from your server
  6. Delete all of your phpBB 3.0.x files EXCEPT for the following:
    • The config.php file
    • The /images/ directory
    • The /files/ directory
    • The /store/ directory
  7. Upload the contents of the phpBB3 directory from the uncompressed 3.2.x Full Package (EXCEPT for config.php) into your forum's directory (Note: you don't want to overwrite your original config.php file)
  8. Browse to www.example.com/install/
  9. Click the Update tab
  10. Click the Update button
  11. Click the Update button again
  12. Select "Update database only" and click Submit
  13. Wait for the progress bar to reach 100% and for a message indicating that the update has completed
  14. Delete or rename the /install/ directory

Note:
Ensure that the root level .htaccess file is included in the upload. Some FTP clients do not show files whose names start with a period and you may need to enable the display of hidden files.

Note:
If your board made use of language packs other than British English, you will need to download a version that is compatible with phpBB 3.2 from https://www.phpbb.com/languages/

Important:
When uploading the 3.2 files to your server, do NOT overwrite your config.php.

Important:
When backing up your files, ensure that your FTP client is in binary mode or transfers files without extensions in binary mode.
For more information, see: Knowledge Base - Transferring attachment files with Filezilla
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”