No follow for links

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
cachophrastus

No follow for links

Post by cachophrastus » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:21 pm

Is "no follow" for links the default with this board? If not,can "no follow" for links be turned on with the standard board? If so, how do I turn them on? Or do I need an extension? If so, which one please?

Cheers Chris

cachophrastus

Re: No follow for links

Post by cachophrastus » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:26 pm

HiFiKabin wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:27 pm
viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2458056
Hi, I'm not sure you have understood my question. (Just so you are aware, I have very little/or no understanding of coding.)

The link you gave me took me to a conversation about something to do with "prime links". Is this a way of instating search engine "no follow" to links?

A little research throws up 2 ways of making no follow links. I quote:
"
Add a rel=”nofollow” attribute to the <a> tag.

Redirect the links to an intermediate page that is blocked from search engines with a robots.txt file.
"
Is the link you gave me to an extension for the second of these?

Cheers Chris

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:31 pm

Hi Chris

The extension I referred you to does (amongst other things) give the choice of adding a no follow to any link on your forum.

You download and unzip the extension on your desktop, then upload the primehalo folder to the ext directory on your server.

Then enable the extension and adjust the settings as needed. No coding needed at all.

For more about how to install an extension see, Installing Extensions.

cachophrastus

Post by cachophrastus » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:37 pm

HiFiKabin wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:31 pm
Hi Chris

The extension I referred you to does (amongst other things) give the choice of adding a no follow to any link on your forum.

You download and unzip the extension on your desktop, then upload the primehalo folder to the ext directory on your server.

Then enable the extension and adjust the settings as needed. No coding needed at all.

For more about how to install an extension see, Installing Extensions.
Can you set as a default that all links are no follow?

Cheers Chris

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:08 pm

You should read the topic linked to and/or ask your question in there if it hasn't been asked and answered already. ;)
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:07 am

why would you want to make all or any of the links on your board no follow? the whole point of the internet is links. links coming in, links going out etc. etc.

I never have understood this.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:23 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:07 am
why would you want to make all or any of the links on your board no follow? the whole point of the internet is links. links coming in, links going out etc. etc.

I never have understood this.

robert
It's perfectly understandable and acceptable to prevent some links being crawled and giving unnecessary or even unwanted extra attention to certain sites.
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

cachophrastus

Post by cachophrastus » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:26 pm

RMcGirr83 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:08 pm
You should read the topic linked to and/or ask your question in there if it hasn't been asked and answered already. ;)
I've read the topic linked to. I don't understand what is being said. I posted on the topic asking my question but no-one has answered. I have done a search and as far as I can tell no-one has offered what I want so far. (Which seems very strange to me - I would have thought that it was very in demand.)

So let me explain a bit more. From https://www.smartinsights.com/sear ... ld-i-care/ this shows a link before and after no follow has been added:

<a href="http://www.smartinsights.com/" title="Smart Insights">Visit Smart Insights</a>

Here's the same hyperlink, now including a nofollow tag (highlighted in red):

<a href="http://www.smartinsights.com/" title="Smart Insights" rel="nofollow">Visit Smart Insights</a>

Why do I want this feature: a) to stop people posting links just to boost their own site's rankings (although if I think the site deserves to be boosted and it was possible to easily remove the no follow, this might be a useful extra feature) but most important b) this is my own virgin board. I want to criticise what is said on other sites and give users a link so that they can see for themselves but without boosting that site in the rankings. If anything I would want to do the opposite.

So can the "Prime Links" extension do this? (What are Prime links?). Or do I need to ask someone to do an extension? I've searched and found people asked for a similar thing in the past but without anyone offering a solution.

Cheers Chris

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:30 pm

cachophrastus wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:26 pm
So can the "Prime Links" extension do this? (What are Prime links?). Or do I need to ask someone to do an extension? I've searched and found people asked for a similar thing in the past but without anyone offering a solution.
Have a look at the Prime Links extension to see for yourself.
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:53 pm

Prime Links is the name given by an author whose username is Primehalo to an extension involving manipulating links.

You have been linked to the Extension. You have been told that it appears to do what you want (among other things). You have been told how to install it. I am not sure what remains other than your installing it and posting in its support topic if you cannot make it do what you want.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:09 pm

I seriously doubt that setting any link to a no follow will discourage anyone from posting those links. If you are talking about spammers, then it certainly won't make any difference because most spammers are automated and never see whether a link is posted or followed or anything else. they just spam where they can and hope that maybe .01% will work.

sorry for the clutter.
luck,
robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”