manual 3.1.9 to 3.2.2 db update timeout

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
millipede

manual 3.1.9 to 3.2.2 db update timeout

Post by millipede »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.1.9
What is your board's URL? http://byfellowship.com/forums
Who do you host your board with? MDD hosting
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.1.9
What extensions do you have installed? disabled all the ones I knew of before starting as per directions. The following are disabled. Don't remember if I had any that would not show up in the extensions list
add user
board announcement
board rules
flags
pages
was this topic useful
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? I Don't Know
What is your level of experience? Comfortable with PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Using manual update method for 3.1.9 to 3.2.2 as per These instructions https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... upgrade31/
Please describe your problem. Left database type as unknown as options through me off. ACP says mysql 10.0.31 MariaDB

I followed the instructions to the letter. disabled extensions, deleted the files it said on the server and in the package properly. Had one single file that had to be requeued and run again but was successful.
At the database step, first time I hit the button it said something about not finding a database or, some weird message. didn't freak yet, started the process over and it began to update. Got to 97% done(so close) before it gave the timeout error.
"The installer has detected a timeout, you may try to refresh the page, which may lead to data corruption. We suggest that you either increase your timeout settings or try to use the CLI."
Generated by SRT Generator

I did a search for this error and saw just a few topics where this error happened in different ways it seems to me. So I don't know if all solutions are equal. One referred someone to the "known issue" at the top of the support forum but I'm not sure if that's what applies here. That "may lead to data corruption" warning scares me... ha. I don't want to guess my way through this and mess something up.

I'm going to check a few things, like the config.php file I saw others mention to check... whatever I do, I just want to make sure I don't just try things and hope for the best so I'm asking for directions here. :) This is the first time I've done a manual update like this, usually do the automatic but the download page recommended manual for this update so it's what I tried.
Last edited by millipede on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: manual 3.1.9 to 3.2.2 db update timeout

Post by stevemaury »

Are you really upgrading from 3.0.1-B1? Post your config.php file, without the password.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
millipede

Post by millipede »

stevemaury wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:08 pm Are you really upgrading from 3.0.1-B1? Post your config.php file, without the password.
no, 3.1.9 And, it had been a while... I know. :(
EDIT: I was wondering why you asked that. Went back and looked. Maybe I missed that and it was pre-selected or I hit the wrong thing. Fixed it.

Funny thing, I think... the ACP is still accessable and in it, it now says the database is 3.2.1 but the files are 3.2.2 odd...

anyway... the config files does say mysql... also has a nice warning in there about not changing anything.

Code: Select all

<?php
// phpBB 3.0.x auto-generated configuration file
// [b]Do not change anything in this file![/b]
$dbms = 'mysql';
$dbhost = 'localhost';

[removed idenifiable info]

$table_prefix = 'phpbb_';
$acm_type = 'file';
$load_extensions = '';

@define('PHPBB_INSTALLED', true);
// @define('DEBUG', true);
// @define('DEBUG_EXTRA', true);
?>
Furball Zen

Post by Furball Zen »

Yea, i got that a couple times, its an old error, just add an i to mysql (mysqli) in the config and itll pass by the error. Then remove the i when youre done.
I am the almighty Furball Zen. Hear me fluff.

Site Admin: too many to list ;)
Port 80 is for your server, port 3306 is for your db :)
If your forum displays correctly in IE, it needs to be fixed :)
millipede

Post by millipede »

saw that recommended. Going to wait for confirmation... but, if I do that, do I then click the update tab and start the database update over again.?

So weird... add the i, then take it off later?
Furball Zen

Post by Furball Zen »

millipede wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:29 pm saw that recommended. Going to wait for confirmation... but, if I do that, do I then click the update tab and start the database update over again.?

So weird... add the i, then take it off later?
Yep. I had to do it.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

there is no reason to take it off. mysql is deprecated in the newer php versions. just change it to mysqli and leave it like that.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
millipede

Post by millipede »

It's amazing how one little i can cause so much trouble.
Put the i in, started the database update over again, and all seems well so far. Finished the update and now poking around at changes.
Forum looks a little different, header image is gone, but that will all be worked out. :)
Thanks for the help.
Furball Zen

Post by Furball Zen »

millipede wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:36 pm It's amazing how one little i can cause so much trouble.
Put the i in, started the database update over again, and all seems well so far. Finished the update and now poking around at changes.
Forum looks a little different, header image is gone, but that will all be worked out. :)
Thanks for the help.
Yea, the image was an issue on one of my boards, took a bit to fix.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”