e-mail communication show user addresses

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Re: e-mail communication show user addresses

Post by canonknipser » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:35 pm

tojag wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:06 am
why does the forum reveal my email address if I wrote to someone via the email contact form and not from the email program
If the visitors don't put in their email-address, it would be a one-way-communication:
The message entered in the contact form would go to the administrator(s) of the board (to the email-address entered in the acp) by email, but nobody would have a chance to answer that email, because nobody knows where to send it.
Sure, you can still use you preferred email program (like thunderbird, gmail, ...) to contact the board administrators: But the email program will give the senders address to the receiver for the same reasons - to answer the mail. If the sender doesn't want a answer he can use a dummy or invalid address (like nobody@example.com)

So, for clarification, you can extend the description in the language files, eg. "The email address you entered will be used to give the receiver a possibility to reply to your message".
And in your documents about privacy you can enter a sentence similar "email addresses entered in our web form (eg. contact form) will be used exclusive to answer the communication. It will not be used for other purposes and removed after the communication ended, the latest 6 month after the last contact via that email address. It can be stored longer in case of other legal reasons" (IANAL, just a example ...)
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

tojag
Name: Gregory

Post by tojag » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:12 pm

Canonknisper You do not understand me. I do not write about the contact with the administrator but about the user-user contact via the 'e-mail' icon in the mini profile or 'send an e-mail to the user' in the user's profile. Then a contact form appears in which you no longer enter your address but only the subject and content and send. The recipient of this message will know the e-mail address of the sender even though the message was sent through the forum.
Sorry my english. I hope You understand what I mean.

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:41 pm

tojag wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:12 pm
The recipient of this message will know the e-mail address of the sender even though the message was sent through the forum.
Did you check it? AFAIK and as far as I read the code, the senders email address is hidden, you only get the username, but no link or mail addy at all.

Just checked it on a 3.2.2 board with the acp settings (if you set the second one to "disabled", the email addresses are public!)
Screenshot_20180608_223148.png
The mail does contains only the boards contact mail address as sender, no address of one of the participants is included in the mail

You received a mail via phpBB.com for verification ;)

Edit: Sorry, you are right, the senders mail address will be used as "Reply To" ...
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

tojag
Name: Gregory

Post by tojag » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:51 pm

canonknipser wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:41 pm
Edit: Sorry, you are right, the senders mail address will be used as "Reply To" ...
Hi, thanks for the e-mail. I know Your address now :)
As I wrote on the first post in this topic, the problem is with return-to (reply-to) address not in sender address.
But after reading the explanations in this topic, I think that little can be done about it. For sure you should give an appropriate description so that users are aware of this fact.
Sorry my english. I hope You understand what I mean.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”