Deleted spam posts still showing up in active topics

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Weltfrieden

Deleted spam posts still showing up in active topics

Post by Weltfrieden » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:41 am

Here is the active topics page of my website:
http://thinkinguniverse.net/search.php? ... ive_topics

I had just finished deleting a multitude of spam from the site that had built up from about a year of neglection (I have now installed anti-spam extensions).

All of the topics showing there have been pruned/deleted and I figured out a way to delete the user as well (at first it was giving me an error screen no matter how I tried to delete the account). And yet the topics still show up in the Active Topics page and the other topic sorting pages.

If you click on a topic it even says "The requested topic does not exist."

Is there anything I can do to make these go away? I have tried doing it from the MCP but they don't show up in there because the posts aren't even associated with a forum anymore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

janus_zonstraal

Re: Deleted spam posts still showing up in active topics

Post by janus_zonstraal » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:33 pm

I had just finished deleting a multitude of spam from the site that had built up from about a year of neglection (I have now installed anti-spam extensions).
How did you do it?

Normally you go to "manage users" in ACP and delete the user and his posts.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:49 pm

Do you use a caching system such as Cloudflare?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Weltfrieden

Post by Weltfrieden » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:32 pm

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:33 pm
How did you do it?

Normally you go to "manage users" in ACP and delete the user and his posts.
There were about 5000 spam accounts, some of them had 10000+ posts. I pruned the accounts that had little to no posts.

The other accounts couldn't be deleted so easily as it was too much for the server to handle all at once. So I individually moved the posts from accounts with 10000+ into a Trash forum I created, deleted the Trash forum afterward (effectively deleting all of the posts) and then pruned the accounts 50-100 at a time.

I resynchronized post and member count and everything seemed okay until I looked at the active, new, and unread topics pages and saw that it was full of posts from one particular spam account. When clicking on the topics it says they do not exist. I managed to delete the user but still cannot figure out how to remove the posts from the recent topics pages.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
david63 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:49 pm
Do you use a caching system such as Cloudflare?
No, but I did try purging the cache from the ACP. That didn't do anything.

Furball Zen

Post by Furball Zen » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:50 am

Im guessing youre the Admin? If youre seeing them then you didnt delete them and youre seeing the aftermath that no one else can see who is not also an Admin. In other words, you only deleted the reference to them, but they still show to an Admin, like if a Mod deleted it, the Admins can still see the posts until the post is deleted from the db entirely. I had the same thing happen when i became an Admin of a huge forum and then realized i was simply seeing posts that Mods deleted but were still there in case you wanted to restore them.

Once a user is deleted from the ACP and you choose delete posts, ive never seen any of them come back. As far as deleting 1000's of posts, i find its best to do it in phpmyadmin instead of the board itself. But, if you arent comfortable with doing that, then dont.
I am the almighty Furball Zen. Hear me fluff.

Site Admin: too many to list ;)
Port 80 is for your server, port 3306 is for your db :)
If your forum displays correctly in IE, it needs to be fixed :)

Weltfrieden

Post by Weltfrieden » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:16 am

Yes, I am the admin. I viewed the forum from my test account and the offending posts still show up in the active, new and unread posts. I assure you that I did in fact delete the posts seeing as it says the posts have been deleted when I try to open them.

I am not very familiar with phpMyAdmin but am willing to give it a shot if someone knows how to get rid of them and can explain it to me.

Again, any help is appreciated.

Weltfrieden

Post by Weltfrieden » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:05 am

I realized that I can access phpMyAdmin directly from my hosting site. I went on there and deleted the offending posts directly from the database. The post count on the board index now corresponds properly to the number of actual posts on the entire website but when I click on New, Active or Unread topics all of the spam posts from that one deleted user still shows up!

They are deleted posts in a deleted forum from a deleted user and yet still show up even when I log out and view as a guest or login with my test account.

I don't know what else to do... This is driving me crazy!

Weltfrieden

Post by Weltfrieden » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:25 am

Well, I figured it out. I had to delete all of the offending topics in phpMyAdmin as well.

All is back to normal and there is no trace of spam whatsoever.

Thank you Furball Zen for reminding me about phpMyAdmin. I haven't been at this forum administration stuff for over a year so I'm rusty! :lol:

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”