This is turning out to be a lot more complicated than I at first thought, I thought it would simply be a matter of someone saying 'yes just tweek that setting and it turns off the whole soft delete system' but nooooo..... So let us please just concentrate on one problem at a time and I'll do other posts for the other problems (which are not resolved either yet). Thank you.
The Soft Delete System Turn Off Dilemma.
I'm trying to figure out the logic in turning off the whole soft delete thing by altering a permission for a global moderator.
It just doesn't sound right, why would altering a permission of a global moderator turn off the whole soft delete mechanism?
Oh well, I'll try it, here are my steps.
1) log in as Admin and go to the ACP
2) Choose 'Permissions' from the tab at the top
3) Over on the left under 'GLOBAL PERMISSIONS' choose 'Global moderators'
4) At this point you are presented with a complicated screen of two sides Users - Groups
the top parts of these two 'sides' are : Manage users - Manage groups with boxes to show which Users or Groups you'll be managing
under each of which are parts to : Add Users - Add Groups
In my Groups > Manage groups box I have one entry 'Global moderators'
5) if I highlight that then press the button : Edit permissions I get a less complicated screen which says:
Global Moderator Permissions
Role: No role assigned... (should I change this?) and a magic link over on the right called 'Advanced Permissions *' yes with an asterisk, I wonder what that asterisk is for?
6) So I click on this and TADAAA... I get that box up: (please keep reading after the picture)
And let me tell you, it was not easy to come this far with zero instructions!
And as you can see, I've been here before (got the TShirt) and I've
7) changed the 'Can soft delete posts' to 'No' however when I
8) 'Apply permissions' then go back to the board and logon as iantest (just a plain user) go to one of my posts (there is only one in the 'online finds, own videos forum) and hit the X to delete I get the boxes: Delete permanently: & Reason for deletion.
So that didn't work then... despite having a degree in rocket science you need another degree in phpBB forum settings manipulation because after drastically altering the way that the forum works they didn't put in a button 'switch this feature off'
As I said at the start of my post, it just doesn't seem right that to turn off this pesky soft delete system you change a permission of a moderator?
Does that seem right to you?
I mention in step 4 that there is a box over on the left Manage users... this is empty, is this the problem? should I put someone in this box to
have the permissions apply to?
This is now getting so ridiculously complex that electronic components are starting to grow out of my ears
My brain will soon need to be programmed using PHP
So despite being really simple (sarcasm) you only have to follow steps 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 this still has not yet worked so I must have performed one of the steps incorrectly so if some kind soul could help I'll give the admin password if you PM me, I can always change it back again when I go live.
Thanks for reading