Problem with extension URLs (current php page name injected into ext URLs thus breaking them - global problem)

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Problem with extension URLs (current php page name injected into ext URLs thus breaking them - global problem)

Post by Brf » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:48 pm

If you refuse to
HiFiKabin wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:06 pm
fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here
then we cannot help you.

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Re: Problem with extension URLs (current php page name injected into ext URLs thus breaking them - global problem)

Post by canonknipser » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:49 pm

PseudoNoob wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:45 pm
I understand ...
Maybe during writing your eloquent post you missed mine:
canonknipser wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:25 pm
Try this rule
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

PseudoNoob

Re: Problem with extension URLs

Post by PseudoNoob » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:50 pm

canonknipser wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:25 pm
PseudoNoob wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:34 am
"Yes, this happens with a stock .htaccess file, though I have added a rewrite rule for https"

Added:

Code: Select all

RewriteCond %{SERVER_PORT} 80 
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://sitename.com/$1 [R=301,L]
:(
Maybe that rule is wrong
Try this rule:

RewriteCond %{HTTPS} off
RewriteRule .* https://%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI} [L,R=301]
Thanks. Just tried it. Problem still exists.

Please remember a completely virgin .htaccess file supplied from the phpBB-3.2.2.zip still results in my problem. I'm confident that the .htaccess file is NOT the problem; though I do believe a few rewrite rules related to stripping out /index.php/, /viewtopic.php/, /search.php/ etc and replacing with just / could probably kludge the problem.
Last edited by PseudoNoob on Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PseudoNoob

Post by PseudoNoob » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:02 pm

No new information is found here, but for the "sticklers:"

Yes I understand your trying to help - Consider this a tier 3 help request. :) I have years of phpBB experience, but I'm not a php coder. :(

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.2
What is your board's URL? http://private
Who do you host your board with? Shinjiru
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Fresh Install
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What extensions do you have installed? Problem occurs with NO EXTENSIONS INSTALLED in default phpBB install via "Report this post" link.
What styles do you currently have installed? only default prosilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? American English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP but not phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? PM if necessary
What password can be used to view this issue? PM if necessary
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Transfer to VPS.
Please describe your problem. Forum generated URLs to use controllers and routes are not generated correctly. i.e. http://sitename/post/41833/report gets generated incorrectly as http://sitename/viewtopic.php/post/41833/report. This holds true globally for both default phpBB generated functions such as "Report this post" as well as all URLs to access various extension add-on functions such as aforementioned "About us."
Brf wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:48 pm
If you refuse to
HiFiKabin wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:06 pm
fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here
then we cannot help you.
It's not a refusal, it's just a duplication of effort. I comply to get past the people who refuse to help without it. I'm very interested to know if you found new insight via the template.

3Di
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:25 pm

PseudoNoob wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:02 pm
I'm very interested to know if you found new insight via the template.
Yes, I do.
Links like http://sitename/viewtopic.php/post/41833/report aren't links generated by a vanilla phpBB install.

You should have links like
http://sitename/mcp.php?i=reports&mode=report_details&f=XXX&p=41833
or
http://sitename/viewtopic.php?f=XXX&t=xxx&p=41833

Moreover such links are usually generated by some sort of SEO rules rewriting, done somewhere in the root of your domain or inherited from a previous version of phpBB MODded with kinda stuffs.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:10 pm

3Di wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:25 pm

Links like http://sitename/viewtopic.php/post/41833/report aren't links generated by a vanilla phpBB install.
Indeed.
Reporting the post in question here generates the URL
https://www.phpbb.com/community/post/14968481/report

PseudoNoob

Post by PseudoNoob » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:12 pm

Hi Marco,

This is a "virgin" VPS with a week of trying to tweak the php and apache settings. There is no SEO done and there is no modding done (except the multiple attachment 3.2.2 fix). Other than that the site is 100% VANILLA. The fact that it's generating the wrong links IS the problem.

https://sitename/mcp.php?i=warn&mode=warn_post&f=23&p=41833&sid=9515d4514827e7dd9c92f8eaa2ebdb2f
IS the format that comes up on a "Report this post" link. Interestingly enough it also comes up as

https://sitename/viewtopic.php/post/41833/report
as well (same post); must be something to the navigation methodology to get there.

Brf - that extra viewtopic.php you see IS the problem.

Again, I'm completely convinced it's not a phpBB specific problem but something to do with (most likely) php affecting the twig or Symfony components as I BELIEVE all the link creation is done there.

3Di

Post by 3Di » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:24 pm

Brf wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:10 pm
3Di wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:25 pm

Indeed.
Reporting the post in question here generates the URL
post/14968481/report
I see, I used the link into a reported post. You are correct.

3Di

Post by 3Di » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:26 pm

PseudoNoob wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:12 pm
Again, I'm completely convinced it's not a phpBB specific problem but something to do with (most likely) php affecting the twig or Symfony components as I BELIEVE all the link creation is done there.
Did you upgrade/update from a previous version which was modified by some SEO stuff?

PseudoNoob

Post by PseudoNoob » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:39 pm

Noper doper. (SEO stuff)

Board has always been vanilla with various extensions.

All extensions disabled still gives the problem as shown in the "Report this post" example. :(

Problem didn't occur until moving to VPS (and there were no migration issues). That's why I'm convinced it's a base server configuration issue, well... apache or php configuration issue.

Throw me in a cPanel with Softaculous and I wouldn't have this problem. :)

Serious head scratcher for sure.

I'm baffled!

PseudoNoob

Post by PseudoNoob » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:18 am

Breaking (no pun) news...

Checking Symfony requiremens from: https://symfony.com/doc/current/referen ... ments.html

# composer require symfony/requirements-checker
Running composer as root/super user is highly discouraged as packages, plugins and scripts cannot always be trusted
Using version ^1.0 for symfony/requirements-checker
./composer.json has been updated
Loading composer repositories with package information
Updating dependencies (including require-dev)
Your requirements could not be resolved to an installable set of packages.

Problem 1
- marc1706/fast-image-size v1.1.4 requires ext-mbstring * -> the requested PHP extension mbstring is missing from your system.
- marc1706/fast-image-size v1.1.4 requires ext-mbstring * -> the requested PHP extension mbstring is missing from your system.

- Installation request for marc1706/fast-image-size (locked at v1.1.4, required as ^1.1) -> satisfiable by marc1706/fast-image-size[v1.1.4].

To enable extensions, verify that they are enabled in those .ini files:
- /opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/etc/php.ini
- /opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/etc/php.d/02-pecl.ini
- /opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/etc/php.d/20-ctype.ini
- /opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/etc/php.d/20-dom.ini
- /opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/etc/php.d/20-exif.ini
- /opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/etc/php.d/20-ftp.ini
- /opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/etc/php.d/20-gd.ini
- /opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/etc/php.d/20-json.ini
- /opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/etc/php.d/20-mysqlnd.ini
- /opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/etc/php.d/20-pdo.ini
- /opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/etc/php.d/20-phar.ini
- /opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/etc/php.d/20-posix.ini
- /opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/etc/php.d/20-simplexml.ini
- /opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/etc/php.d/20-sqlite3.ini
- /opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/etc/php.d/20-tokenizer.ini
- /opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/etc/php.d/20-xml.ini
- /opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/etc/php.d/20-xmlwriter.ini
- /opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/etc/php.d/20-xsl.ini
- /opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/etc/php.d/30-mysqli.ini
- /opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/etc/php.d/30-pdo_mysql.ini
- /opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/etc/php.d/30-pdo_sqlite.ini
- /opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/etc/php.d/30-wddx.ini
- /opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/etc/php.d/30-xmlreader.ini
You can also run `php --ini` inside terminal to see which files are used by PHP in CLI mode.

Installation failed, reverting ./composer.json to its original content.

Maybe. Just maybe the problem is found.

More as it develops...
Last edited by PseudoNoob on Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PseudoNoob

Post by PseudoNoob » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:29 am

Uneffing believable!
Holy crap Batman!
Warp factor 5 Mr Sulu.
yum install ea-php71-php-mbstring.x86_64
Just solved my problem! All my links are A-OK and dandy like candy.

Mission accomplished. Exit stage left.

Someone, somewhere, should probably add running the Symfony requirements checker as a to do item for phpBB installs on a VPS.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:26 pm

We do not support server setup.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

PseudoNoob

Post by PseudoNoob » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:44 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:26 pm
We do not support server setup.
Huh? What? No "Congratulations on fixing your problem. Glad it all worked out! Thanks for getting back to us with the update and documenting it to help others in the future who might come up against the same obstacle." Are you a bot?

Yeah. That statement and variations of it are rote now; all they do is infuriate people who are asking for and in need of help and looking to the experts for it - especially when the help they need IS most likely available somewhere within the as of yet unwritten community knowledgebase. Moderators who say "We do not support server setup," due to it's authoritative tone, effectively shut down continued communications on the subject and the problem fades away into oblivion not helping anyone. It's one of those situations where it'd be better YOU said nothing and let a solution organically develop, or not, without influencing the discussion in a negative way.

Forty eight thousand plus posts later and being part of the volunteer support team, it's obvious you're a respected mentor and phpBB troubleshooter. You're probably providing a 99-100 solution ratio, if not higher.

Don't you think somewhere before your post #49000 that you might want to change your diatribe to say something along the lines of "We don't OFFICIALLY support server setup, BUT we have picked up some useful tips from other people over time. It's is provided here; link. link. Use at your own risk. It is not OFFICIALLY endorsed or supported by phpBB Limited." Not doing such would be a disservice to the phpBB community; basically purposely withholding possibly useful information that could save some other poor soul a lot of time and grief.

It's OK for an expert to still say, "I don't know what's causing that. Sorry. It's outside my/our normal scope of support and though related to phpBB, is not directly a phpBB problem." It comes across a lot more humane versus (paraphrased) "Tough dog droppings. We refuse to help you. Take off and figure it out yourself bozo."

Food for thought.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:08 pm

how about just accepting the fact that this is a support board for the phpbb software, not for server setups, not for wordpress, not for how to fix your car, not even for support for php, just for phpbb bulletin board software.

you were told up front that managing a VPS or any other type of server is way outside the bounds of support on this site.
there is no reason to assume that anybody here has ever tried to setup a VPS etc.
there probably are many server experts here, but that is not why they are here.

I think it is great that you figured out how to fix your problem and your post very well may help others. however , once a user finds out that their problem is not related to phpbb the best thing for them is to let them know that they need to look elsewhere for a solution to their non phpbb problem.

anyway, glad you got your problem fixed

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”