Problem with extension URLs (current php page name injected into ext URLs thus breaking them - global problem)

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
PseudoNoob

Re: Problem with extension URLs (current php page name injected into ext URLs thus breaking them - global problem)

Post by PseudoNoob »

Thanks Robert, much better response.

Completely understood that this is phpBB support (only), but remember - there is overlap! phpBB relies on SPECIFIC software components to work; php, many php modules, twig, and Symfony...and those frameworks need specific software components as well! phpBB builds upon them and relies on them. It would be helpful to better document those component requirements. Documentation of this, can fend off the "we don't support that" and give a place to point to in the future for some help and guidance related to these issues. (And if I somehow missed existing documentation on this and am wasting my fingers' time, forgive me.)

From post #1 I stated "Any ideas? I'm guessing a PHP module/configuration problem. Probably something "confusing" twig or Symfony." ...and I was right. :)

Expectation of "normal" support to solve the problem was low. Expectation that someone with VPS setup experience specifically was a snowball's chance in hell. I knew I was fishing in a large lake with only three fish, but I still had to throw out my lure to try to catch a fish! I had a problem, and this is the NATURAL and INTUITIVE place to go.

Now anyone who reads this in the future, possibly searching for "VPS:"
1> Knows that their default/virgin VPS probably doesn't have the base software that they need for phpBB to work.
2> Knows that there are others out there who have accomplished making phpBB work on a VPS after some "tweaks."
3> Knows one additional item to check for if they have problems -> at least one specific php module that Symfony needs which in turn means phpBB needs; and that they should run the Symfony compatibility checker for clues.
4> Knows that even though "official" support might just pass them on or point them elsewhere, someone in the user community might be watching, waiting, and willing to pop up and help them. :)

My last post was really about attitude and openness to gather additional actionable support intel for better support of the community. It's my way of recommending how to provide a level up in support without referencing customer service books to read or an ITIL class to take. :) ...trying only to influence an already great community support to be even better. The last thing we want to hear is someone walk away saying, "Yeah. I tried that phpBB thing. No one helped me. They just pointed me elsewhere. It sucks. They suck. I'm using xxxxxx now. It works and is so much better." - We want to avoid that.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”