admin locked out of forum

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: admin locked out of forum

Post by stevemaury » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:50 pm

Banning emails and IPs is a waste of time.

Please visit Preventing Spam in phpBB3 for various options for fighting spam in phpBB.
How to configure Q&A
  1. Administration Control Panel (ACP) > Spambot countermeasures> Installed plugins > click the dropdown box and select Q&A (it will be greyed out)
  2. Click the configure button then click add
  3. Add your question and answer (you need a Q&A for each language you have installed) click submit
  4. Click "back to previous page" then click "back"
  5. Select Q&A from the dropdown box (again)
  6. Click submit at the bottom of the page.
  7. Done.
If it were me, I'd delete the files and truncate the database and do a fresh install with the files from here. You will have to recreate the forums and have the three or four real users re-register. The only file you need to keep and not overwrite is your config.php file
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:52 pm

Banning emails and IPs is a waste of time.

Please visit Preventing Spam in phpBB3 for various options for fighting spam in phpBB.

Q&A is the most effective spambot countermeasure. How to configure Q&A
  1. Administration Control Panel (ACP) > Spambot countermeasures> Installed plugins > click the dropdown box and select Q&A (it will be greyed out)
  2. Click the configure button then click add
  3. Add your question and answer (you need a Q&A for each language you have installed) click submit
  4. Click "back to previous page" then click "back"
  5. Select Q&A from the dropdown box (again)
  6. Click submit at the bottom of the page.
  7. Done.
Use a question whose answer CANNOT be Googled - no math, no geography no famous people.

If it were me, I'd delete the files and truncate the database and do a fresh install with the files from here. You will have to recreate the forums and have the three or four real users re-register. The only file you need to keep and not overwrite is your config.php file

jvdbarista

Post by jvdbarista » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:56 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:50 pm

Hi Steve,

I don't follow ? Are you suggesting that i go into the Cpanel file manager and delete the folder for "forum.canadianbaristaacademy.com" ?

And then I download the 'phpbb' from this website and upload it to the same spot?

Is there something i am missing?

thanks, Jamie

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:34 pm

Do not use the cPanel File Manager for anything. Use a good FTP client, like Filezilla.

Don't delete the folder. Delete the files within it EXCEPT the /files and /images folders. But save a local copy of config.php, because it will have all the database info you need to install.

Then DROP all the tables the database. In phpMyAdmin, display all the tables on the right, use Select All and then With selected Drop. There are two pages of tables. Backup the database first.

Then upload the CONTENTS of the downloaded phpBB folder to your forum.canadianbaristaacademy.com and then browse to the install folder and follow the instructions.

jvdbarista

Post by jvdbarista » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:32 pm

Hi Steve, i tried to install the phpbb onto my site with filezilla but it went wrong somehow. I am guessing that it went wrong because I am not totally conversant in this . If you have any suggestions I would love to hear them on how to fix it. thanks, jamie

jvdbarista

Post by jvdbarista » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:41 pm

HI Steve, i just restored yesterdays version of the website.

its all back to where it was.

I am not able to follow the instructions you have given on how to install it myself rather then use the softoculous installer.

Could you direct me to a step by step list of instructions on how to do this so I don't mess it up again?

thanks for your time and help!

Jamie

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:14 am

"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”