Lost my board in domain change

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Farmer Dusty

Lost my board in domain change

Post by Farmer Dusty »

I'm sorry if this troubles you, but technical things are harder and harder to comprehend. I'm getting old and my short term memory frustrates me now. I need help to put my board back up after moving my domain to iPage. It was a economic issue and now I can't figure out how to put my board back up.

I downloaded the board from my old host but iPage support for php/BB is spotty. I just can't figure out the steps. Help will be very appreciated. Thanks.
david63

Re: Lost my board in domain change

Post by david63 »

Without more details of what problems you are encountering it is difficult to help.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

if you did not get a database backup from your old host then you don't have a board anymore.

however, if when you downloaded the board files you had some backups in the folder named store then you may be ok.

as said, we need more details.

exactly how did you download your old board? did you make a database backup at the same time?

etc. etc.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Farmer Dusty

Post by Farmer Dusty »

My first problem is that I can't find the old Board?

My back ups are good. I just can't find the old Board for accessing the admin.

I also downloaded the files and the data base with screen shots.

Oh, I still have access to the old domain for another 4 days.
Farmer Dusty

Post by Farmer Dusty »

I seem to have all the steps in the file manager but I'm stumped for the next steps ?
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

You need to go to phpMyAdmin (in your host's cPanel) and download a backup of your database, or do it through the ACP. The only files you need to back up are the /files,/images and /store folders, and your config.php file. The others are unimportant.

If you do not know how to do a database backup, ask your current host to make one and either give you a link to it or email it to you (if not too large.)

Do not use File Manager for anything.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Farmer Dusty

Post by Farmer Dusty »

Uh oh! Should I remove those files from the file manager?

Presently I have no way of reaching an ACP?
Farmer Dusty

Post by Farmer Dusty »

stevemaury wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:28 pm You need to go to phpMyAdmin (in your host's cPanel) and download a backup of your database, or do it through the ACP. The only files you need to back up are the /files,/images and /store folders, and your config.php file. The others are unimportant.

If you do not know how to do a database backup, ask your current host to make one and either give you a link to it or email it to you (if not too large.)

Do not use File Manager for anything.
Ipage has only 1 database named "chitchat".
Farmer Dusty

Post by Farmer Dusty »

iPage has uploaded my database, but I don't see what I'm supposed to upload to that will give me a Board?

I'll delete the uploaded files previously uploaded and upload as suggested.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

check your PMs

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Scanialady
Name: Annette

Post by Scanialady »

stevemaury wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:28 pm You need to go to phpMyAdmin (in your host's cPanel) and download a backup of your database, or do it through the ACP. The only files you need to back up are the /files,/images and /store folders, and your config.php file. The others are unimportant.
Oh, oh... the other files are unimported if he don't has installed addons which save user defined files (e.g. a gallery, a game hack...). If he has, this files have to be downloaded, too
My 2 cents: Whether an extension is in the CDB says nothing about its quality. It is more important to read the support topics for it. Better to avoid authors who do not answer support questions themselves, who do not update their stuff, and who do not fix bugs for years.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

There are no files "in" File Manager. It is merely an application to view/move files. Use FTP for that function.

@Scanialady, he said he has backed up his files, and in any event, no one is telling him to delete anything.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Farmer Dusty

Post by Farmer Dusty »

I seem to have a board again with forums, etc., but the board's forums are from 2015? How do I upload the board's 2016 to 2018?
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

What did you use for a database backup? Who made the backup, and how and when?

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”