SQL Table phpbb3_log and log_time

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
abrogard
Name: arthur brogard

SQL Table phpbb3_log and log_time

Post by abrogard » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:21 pm

I wonder is this 'log_time' the time when the event was logged? In some kind of cryptic code? '1502171334' for example. What does that mean?

My phpbb install is frozen because of database errors and it's probably because the allocated space is full.

So I need to allocate more space. And look around and delete where I can.

So I would like to know what entries in what tables I can delete from within MySQL without upsetting the operation of my phpbb if someone can please tell me that?

And I'd like to know when entries such as these log entries were made - if this field doesn't tell me that is there some way I can introduce a field that does?

What does the present field tell me with that big long number?

And is there some way to get into your BB when such things as this happens? It seems a bit of a long way round to have to go to the host and get to sql and allocate more space or delete entries before one can even get in.

Wouldn't it be easier to be able to use a 'special access' that lets one in with the ability only to delete some suggested things in order to make room?

If the back end won't let much happen while the db is full couldn't phpbb have some entries it will 'sacrifice' to make room to allow initiating this editing procedure upon clicking this 'emergency' button?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: SQL Table phpbb3_log and log_time

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:14 am

the only thing in the database that takes much room is the search tables and the posts table.

you can truncate/empty the search tables and then rebuild the search later.
you do not want to mess with the post table or any other tables in the database.

actually you don't really want to mess with the search tables. you can delete and rebuild the search index from the admin panel.

the bottom line here is that if you are running out of database space you need to get more. I have been doing websites for many years and have never had a host that limited my database space differently than my total space in my hosting account.
so, contact your host and ask for more space or find a new host.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

abrogard

Post by abrogard » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:40 am

Thanks for the reply.

My host is Awardspace. They allow 20Mb per database is all. Measly, mean, I know. But it has served me well for many years.

I can't do anything from within phpbb because I can't get in.

I saw the large search tables. 644,000 rows in 'wordmatch'

I wonder what it is about?

Searches? What searches? And why keep them?

Can I go ahead an clear some out just to let me get in and begin working from in there?

Froddelaar
Name: Andy Dm

Post by Froddelaar » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:57 am

Sorry but 20mb is nothing... Very poor hosting.
Wij promoten UW muziek in ons forum & delen alles via Sociale media!
Muziek wordt ook toegevoegd in de playlist van
textradio.be!
Mail uw single + hoesje + info naar: info@muziekpromo.net of Solidjeuh@textradio.be
===============
Onze Website: https://www.muziekpromo.net

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:28 am

every word of every post ever made on your board is copied to the search tables. that is why they are so big.

for now, go to your hosting control panel, find phpmyadmin or whatever your host provides for database maintenance.
find the database your board is using and find the three search tables. select them and choose empty or truncate. do NOT drop /delete the tables.

that will reduce your database size by as much as 2/3. you can then go to your admin panel in the board and rebuild the search. it will take some time so be patient.

not sure why you are worried about the log tables they are usually pretty small. those time numbers you are asking about are in unix timestamp.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

abrogard

Post by abrogard » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:46 am

Thanks for all that.

I don't quite understand. It keeps two copies of every post? One in 'posts' and one in 'search'?

And the search thing is bigger than the original?

I've been on the go for years and never needed even that miniscule 20M - smaller than the smallest USB stick today, I think - but perhaps the time has come to make some space for at least that domain.

they want $120 for unlimited domains and databases at 1G each database.

is that good i wonder...

seems there's no middle ground. they won't just give me more space for a couple of dollars..

maybe I should host it myself...

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:18 am

Before emptying any tables you might want to try optimising your database - that will almost certainly free up some space if you have had the board running for years and never done it.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:21 am

There are much better deals than that, by the sounds of it your board would work quite nicely on shared hosting. Have a look at WebHostingTalk.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:29 am

And to answer your initial question:
abrogard wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:21 pm
I wonder is this 'log_time' the time when the event was logged? In some kind of cryptic code? '1502171334' for example. What does that mean?
That "Cryptic" code is simply a unix timestamp, which counts the seconds from the beginning of the (unix) universe -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

abrogard

Post by abrogard » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:30 am

david63 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:18 am
Before emptying any tables you might want to try optimising your database -
Yep, they did that for me at Awardspace - got about 8M back. Enough for me to get in.
Mick wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:21 am
There are much better deals than that,
Yep, I told Awardspace what I found - 1G storage for $12/year. With Godaddy.

Even if that's got cunning fine print the way they often do - witness awardspace itself which offers quite a lot of storage but the 'fine print' is that sql storage is only 20M per table - it'll still doubtless be better than Awardspace's offer and that's where I'll go if Awardspace doesn't come up with a deal. After checking their fine print.
Mick wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:21 am
quite nicely on shared hostin
I'll take a look at that, thanks.
canonknipser wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:29 am
simply a unix timestamp,
thanks for that. looks like a real mess for them there.. :)

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:33 am

My personal opinion, avoid godaddy, there are equal deals out there.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:44 pm

I do not wish to insult you, but your questions indicate to me that perhaps you currently lack the skill set to even think about hosting your board yourself. Also, if you are thinking about using your ISP account to do this, you will find that they will not permit operating a website using their service.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

abrogard

Post by abrogard » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:05 pm

well if you don't want to insult me, steve, find another way to say things or say different things.

i'd say you should say different things. anyone at any time can at least think about doing anything, in my book.

it is after they think about it that they then maybe discover they can't even attempt it - or don't want to because some kind of cost, time, money, circumstance, is too great.

but they think about it.

else the human race would never get anywhere.

As for the ISP bit that could have been said without any of the preceding. And it is not precise in what it says in any case. I am operating a website right at this time. And have been, on and off, for years.

In specific on the ground reality i've been educated in computing, was an IT officer programming with the dept of Defence, have been lan manager at different sites, was help desk for the raaf and independent consultant etc., etc..

which doesn't make me ahead of the fact an accomplished website manager of any particular website situation that you care to name but by god it certainly makes me fit and proper to 'begin to think....' as you impertinently put it.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:17 pm

I believe it is just a "figure of speech" to say
to even think about hosting your board yourself.
that way.

however, apparently none or not much of that resume prepares you for what you are talking about trying to do.

I have known a lot if IT people that don't have a clue about anything to do with the internet etc.

as for running a website from home, it must have been a pretty simple html based site. phpbb is not a simple website. it is a set of dynamic php scripts that depend on a dynamic integration between a database and the php files and the html files and the css files etc. etc.
and all of that integration is needed for the interaction between the user and the server. that can be a lot of data moving back and forth over your home internet connection etc.

robert

3Di
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:27 pm

I would like to suggest you a very good host, cheap and very reliable https://www.kualo.com/webhosting (basic plan = 5 x 500MB MySQL Databases)

And you will forget all of your problems immediately. We are proudly hosted by them BTW.

And no, I don't get any money for that, I am not an affiliate. :)
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”