Spoiler Extensions Or BBCodes

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Jodi-86

Spoiler Extensions Or BBCodes

Post by Jodi-86 »

Can anyone suggest any spoiler extensions or bbcodes that work with 3.2 ?

Ideally i'm looking for a spoiler that would have the first 10/20 words and then say click to read/show more.

I think i've seen an Invision forum with that set up, but don't think i've seen anything for Phpbb like it,

I've tried one extension but got an SQL error when trying with a different theme.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Spoiler Extensions Or BBCodes

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I am curious what the point of this is.
what benefit do you get from only showing a few words in the post and then the rest when the button is clicked?
personally, I would not like it at all.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Jodi-86

Post by Jodi-86 »

Hey Robert

On our forum we often post newspaper articles, most of the members don't like clicking the links to the articles because the newspaper sites are full of adverts and things that slow their phone/tablet browsers down etc,

So instead we post the article in a quote box, with a logo and link too, like:
The Express wrote: Image
I'm A Celebrity Star Reveals Why She Wouldn’t Return To TV Show

Weather presenter Sian Lloyd, 59, competed on the show in 2003 and while she admitted she loved her experience,

This article would probably have 30/40 lines and on smaller tables it would be even longer.
However after people have read the article and commented they have to keep scrolling down the whole article to get to the next posts etc, or if there are follow up articles posted on the same topic, it becomes really long.

So with a spoiler members could see the first 20 words, if they want to view more click show more, then members who have already viewed it won't need to keep seeing the whole article when they view the topic.

The spoiler would only be for articles, not for normal posts as i wouldn't like that either :)
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

sounds very logical. I did not think of that type of use.

there is an extension that when you hover over the topic title, will show a ssmall popup with part of the post so you can make that type of decision.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... icpreview/

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

By the way, this has been asked a thousand times, I’m sure searching the custom bbcode or extensions forums you’ll find what you need, Simple Spoiler BBCode for example.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Jodi-86

Post by Jodi-86 »

Thanks for the suggestion Robert, i'm already using the topic description one too :D
Mick wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:26 am By the way, this has been asked a thousand times, I’m sure searching the custom bbcode or extensions forums you’ll find what you need, Simple Spoiler BBCode for example.
Hi Mick,
The one you suggested is the one that gives me an SQL error when using a different theme, however that puts all of the words in a box like the quote feature, i'm looking for the ability to have x amount of words and then a click to see more, otherwise my members will just assume it's a button to direct them to another site.

Plus the few searches i did had posters saying 3.2 broke their spoiler codes, so thought it best to ask if anyone knows of a working one.
AlfredoRamos
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo

Post by AlfredoRamos »

Jodi-86 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:13 pm Hi Mick,
The one you suggested is the one that gives me an SQL error when using a different theme [...]
As the author of that extension, I'm very curious about that SQL error, because changing a style has nothing to do with the functionality of the extension...
Jodi-86 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:13 pm[...] however that puts all of the words in a box like the quote feature [...]
That's what a "spoiler" should do, I think you're looking for a "excerpt" or "read more break" BBCode, as those names are used in another BB software.
Some of my phpBB extensions:
:chart_with_upwards_trend: SEO Metadata | Image Markdown | :shield: hCaptcha
:trophy: Check out all my validated extensions :trophy:

:penguin: Arch Linux user | Linux Boards :penguin:
Jodi-86

Post by Jodi-86 »

AbaddonOrmuz wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:34 pm
Jodi-86 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:13 pm Hi Mick,
The one you suggested is the one that gives me an SQL error when using a different theme [...]
As the author of that extension, I'm very curious about that SQL error, because changing a style has nothing to do with the functionality of the extension...
Jodi-86 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:13 pm[...] however that puts all of the words in a box like the quote feature [...]
That's what a "spoiler" should do, I think you're looking for a "excerpt" or "read more break" BBCode, as those names are used in another BB software.
Hey Abaddon,
My bad, it wasn't an SQL error, it's a Twig error,
Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Twig_Error_Loader' with message 'Unable to find template "@alfredoramos_simplespoiler/css/style.css" (looked into: /homepages/39/...removed.../htdocs/ext/alfredoramos/simplespoiler/styles/all/template, /homepages/39/...removed.../htdocs/ext/alfredoramos/simplespoiler/styles/all/theme, /homepages/39/...removed.../htdocs/ext/alfredoramos/simplespoiler/styles/all/template, /homepages/39/...removed.../htdocs/ext/alfredoramos/simplespoiler/styles/all/theme) in "@alfredoramos_simplespoiler/event/overall_header_head_append.html" at line 3.' in /homepages/39/...removed.../htdocs/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Loader/Filesystem.php:232 Stack trace: #0 /homepages/39/...removed.../htdocs/phpbb/template/twig/loader.php(135): Twig_Loader_Filesystem->findTemplate('@alfredoramos_s...') #1 /homepages/39/...removed.../htdocs/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Loader/Filesystem.php(150): phpbb\template\twig\loader->findTemplate('@alfredoramos_s...') #2 /homepages/39/...removed.../htdocs/phpbb/template/twig/environment.php(328): Twig_Loader_File in /homepages/39/...removed.../htdocs/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Loader/Filesystem.php on line 232
After enabling the extension i was unable to get on to my forum at all, just had a white screen with the above message, in the end i had to copy the prosilver style folder, rename it to my customised theme name and upload it to the styles folder.

With other extensions they just don't show up if i don't copy the style folder, but the white screen was a bit scary :lol:

PS i've put ...removed... in place of my database name on the quote above.
AlfredoRamos
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo

Post by AlfredoRamos »

That only happens when the current style does not inherit from prosilver. The info is in the GitHub repository, I'll add a FAQ entry.

I'll see what I can do about that, to avoid that exception.
Some of my phpBB extensions:
:chart_with_upwards_trend: SEO Metadata | Image Markdown | :shield: hCaptcha
:trophy: Check out all my validated extensions :trophy:

:penguin: Arch Linux user | Linux Boards :penguin:

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”