Permissions reverting, its this normal?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
lavalamp213

Permissions reverting, its this normal?

Post by lavalamp213 »

Is it normal after I set "copy permissions from XYZ Forum" , click submit, and then next time I look the setting has returned to "Do not copy permissions"
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Permissions reverting, its this normal?

Post by stevemaury »

Because you did it already.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

Okay thanks. That's good to know because it has always confused me.

In a way I wish that the permission you set for a forum or category would remain.

Thanks again for your help.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

The permissions do remain, until you change them. If the link did not change, you couldn't change permissions by copying from a different forum.

I think it would help you to read this - phpBB3 Permissions
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

stevemaury wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:13 pm The permissions do remain, until you change them. If the link did not change, you couldn't change permissions by copying from a different forum.

I understand that the actual permissions remain. I meant (and wasn't too clear) that I wish the assignment would remain in place so that one could easily see what permission was assigned to a given forum or category.

Thank you for the link!
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

lavalamp213 wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:00 pm
stevemaury wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:13 pm The permissions do remain, until you change them. If the link did not change, you couldn't change permissions by copying from a different forum.

I understand that the actual permissions remain. I meant (and wasn't too clear) that I wish the assignment would remain in place so that one could easily see what permission was assigned to a given forum or category.

Thank you for the link!
Once you turn a light on, do want it to remain permanently on, or might you at some point want to turn it off?
lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

Once you turn a light on, do want it to remain permanently on, or might you at some point want to turn it off?
But I don't want to turn it off, do I? I want the light (permissions) to remain on.

I am sure this is just a case of people seeing things differently. ;)
david63

Post by david63 »

If you believe that this is incorrect behaviour then you should create a ticket in the bug tracker
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

maybe you don't understand what it does. once you copy the permissions they remain set on the forum in question regardless of what the drop down says.
the code used for that drop down is the same for any and all forums that you have/create. therefore, it makes the most sense for it to revert to the default state once you have submitted your settings. It is then ready for the next one that you create etc.
If you want to know what the permissions for a given forum are you do not view that page anyway so you would only see it if you were editing that forum settings.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I think the OP wants a note by the forum settings saying “Forum permissions copied from so and so”. That being the case an extension would be needed.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:50 pm maybe you don't understand what it does. once you copy the permissions they remain set on the forum in question regardless of what the drop down says.
the code used for that drop down is the same for any and all forums that you have/create. therefore, it makes the most sense for it to revert to the default state once you have submitted your settings. It is then ready for the next one that you create etc.
If you want to know what the permissions for a given forum are you do not view that page anyway so you would only see it if you were editing that forum settings.

robert
That makes sense, too. Like I said, people look at things differently.
And I do (always did) understand that the permissions remained despite what the dropdown said.
lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

Mick wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:22 am I think the OP wants a note by the forum settings saying “Forum permissions copied from so and so”. That being the case an extension would be needed.
That would be nice. Then you wouldn't have to remember how you set permissions on something, you could see it.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

"Copy permissions" is an "Action" not a "Setting".
If the drop-down remained at "Copy Permissions", then you would be re-copying and overwriting your permissions for that forum every time you submitted that forum's settings. I am not sure a note saying where you copied from would be too meaningful, especially if you tweaked the permissions of either forum after you did the copy.
lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

Brf wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:46 am "Copy permissions" is an "Action" not a "Setting".
If the drop-down remained at "Copy Permissions", then you would be re-copying and overwriting your permissions for that forum every time you submitted that forum's settings. I am not sure a note saying where you copied from would be too meaningful, especially if you tweaked the permissions of either forum after you did the copy.
Okay- That makes sense. Thanks for helping me understand. :D

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”