tapatalk- do I need it and why is it so hard to install?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
lavalamp213

tapatalk- do I need it and why is it so hard to install?

Post by lavalamp213 »

I had a bad evening trying to install Tapatalk.

I have never used it but there are a lot of people who won't join a forum if they can't use their tapatalk.

The install instructions from tapatalk seemed odd to me and I wasn't surprised when it didn't work. They say to install 2 folders into the forum's root directory. So, just 2 random folders now sitting in the root and the Extension Manager is supposed to find them and put them together.

I moved them to MY ext file. The EM saw it (the actual tapatalk one, can't say about the other.)and I enabled it. it looked okay, BUT then I had to verify with tapatalk and their system wouldn't do it because they said they couldn't see the file. I tried to tell them where it was but no luck with them.
Here are the instructions they give for install:
[link removed]

After you enable it though, you have to get verified by TT.

So, my 2 questions:
1. Does anyone have any advice about installing tapatalk, like instructions that work?
2. Do I even really need it with phpbb v. 3.2 (if no, can i convince the Tapatalk fans they won't need it with my site)

Thanks
Last edited by thecoalman on Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved to phpBB discussion
GanstaZ

Re: tapatalk- do I need it and why is it so hard to install?

Post by GanstaZ »

lavalamp213 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:58 pm there are a lot of people who won't join a forum if they can't use their tapatalk.
Is it an assumption or a statistic based info? Do you need it? Only you know the answer, because you are the owner of your board & not guests/members.
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

• Tapatalk- do I need it - No
  • Why is it so hard to install? - Tapatalk is a third party extension, it has never been validated here in fact it failed validation and they’ve not re-submitted since, and as such we provide no support for it. You need to speak to them.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

GanstaZ wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:12 pm
lavalamp213 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:58 pm there are a lot of people who won't join a forum if they can't use their tapatalk.
Is it an assumption or a statistic based info? Do you need it? Only you know the answer, because you are the owner of your board & not guests/members.
I get that. I was trying to be accommodating to a contingent of tapatalk fans. I was involved with a forum recently that had a huge uproar from people over this issue. The forum owner installed it (with much difficulty and swearing which I now appreciate) and everyone was happy. A ton of posts had the little "posted with tapatalk" thingy at the bottom, so i know a lot of people like and use it.

When I asked if i "Need" it, what I meant was, tapatalk makes forums more usable from phones, it's a forum app essentially. Some of these people belong to several forums and it's how they roll. But I thought I heard somewhere that phpbb v3.2 looks fine on a phone and tapatalk isn't needed. I was just looking for any verification of that.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

The vanilla prosilver is responsive and supposedly all styles based on it are too. Tapatalk has had major security breaches including making all users moderators, this happened dozens of times. Anyway, it’s not our product so if you have any doubts or issues you need to speak to them.

Personally I’ve never seen the need for tapatalk and I’ve used bulletin boards and mobile phones since predeluvian times.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

If you do a search on here for "tapatalk" you will see all of the problems that forum owners have been having with it.
If you open that can of worms -- installing tapatalk -- I guarantee you will be back here asking how to fix its problems.
lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

Mick wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:19 pm
  • Tapatalk- do I need it - No
  • Why is it so hard to install? - Tapatalk is a third party extension, it has never been validated here in fact it failed validation and they’ve not re-submitted since, and as such we provide no support for it. You need to speak to them.
I realise it's a 3rd party thing and wouldn't be supported here. I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions.

I am in contact with them but they are not super responsive.

I do know of phpbb forums that have successully installed and contiue to run it due to demand from members. So I know it's possible but it seems a colossal PIA to me.

Surprising that they haven't worked it out with phpbb.
lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

You guys convinced me.

Thank you. You've probably saved me a world of useless pain.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

They haven’t “worked it out with phpBB” because the software isn’t up to scratch and they have shown no interest in re-submitting their contribution since it first failed validation. I guess it’s still in [DEV] as far as phpBB is concerned.
    " - Harmony Cobel
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

And it does nothing that phpBB does not do natively.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

stevemaury wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:43 pm And it does nothing that phpBB does not do natively.
Very good to know. Thank you.
Swanny

Post by Swanny »

stevemaury wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:43 pm And it does nothing that phpBB does not do natively.
It has only one advantage, and that is that it does push notifications to mobile devices. It actually gets users coming back to the forum.

I hate TT more than anyone but I've got it installed on one forum because when I disabled it people raged at me. Oh, and I did see a drop in traffic.

My advice is if you haven't got your members used to using TT, *never* install it.
lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

Swanny wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 4:55 am
It has only one advantage, and that is that it does push notifications to mobile devices. It actually gets users coming back to the forum.

I hate TT more than anyone but I've got it installed on one forum because when I disabled it people raged at me. Oh, and I did see a drop in traffic.

My advice is if you haven't got your members used to using TT, *never* install it.
Thanks. I chose not to install it and I posted a short explanation as to why I didn't. I'm hoping that quells the outrage. My forum isn't open yet, so we'll see.
I know of another forum that when it opened people screamed for it and she buckled and installed it.

The tapatalk fans are very...devoted.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

And your board is your board, whether or not it poses a security risk or you don’t want to install it for whatever reason thats down to you. I would be very surprised if regular users of your board would even knew what tapatalk was.
    " - Harmony Cobel
lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

Mick wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:22 am And your board is your board, whether or not it poses a security risk or you don’t want to install it for whatever reason thats down to you. I would be very surprised if regular users of your board would even knew what tapatalk was.
I think you're right. I'm getting the feeling that the people who demand tapatalk are very loud about it and that gives the false impression there are a lot of them.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”