Private group

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Marilyn

Private group

Post by Marilyn »

I'm looking for an online forum that will allow me to create a private group. Am I in the right place? If so, how do I do this?
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Re: Private group

Post by Kailey »

phpBB does have the ability to create Hidden Groups. Only users who are a part of that group will know it exists. This is done in the ACP -> USERS AND GROUPS tab -> Manage groups.
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

And if you mean a group that has a private and hidden forum to post, phpBB can easily do that, too.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

You can even add a password to the forum if you wish. I did just that to my moderators hidden forum that also has a password.
Morpheus: Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You'll have to see it for yourself.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
The nature of my chosen username
:ugeek:
Marilyn

Post by Marilyn »

Thank you, everyone. Where do I find ACP? And -- for my other replies, will I be able to do all of this from the site Kinerty gave me?
kinerity wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:55 am This is done in the ACP -> USERS AND GROUPS tab -> Manage groups.
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

Once you install phpBB you are the Admin which grants you Admin Control Panel (ACP) rights. There will be a link at the top to go to the ACP.
Morpheus: Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You'll have to see it for yourself.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
Marilyn

Post by Marilyn »

Okay, I see the problem -- I wasn't running through the program even though I'd installed it. Now, however, the problem is that I've unzipped the folder and can find no executable file; how do I get it to run? I'm sorry if I seem to be a real dunce. :(
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

it is not a windows program. you do not install it on your computer.
you have to have a domain name and a hosting account. once you have that, you will need a ftp program that allows you to upload/download files from your computer to the hosting account.

you download phpbb from here. you unzip it on your computer then you use the ftp program to connect to your hosting account and upload all the phpbb files/folders to your hosting space. then you access yourdomain.com/yourphpbbfolder/install

then fill in the blanks and click the buttons until it is finished.

reading this will help: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... uickstart/

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Marilyn

Post by Marilyn »

Thank you. I need to have five posts in order to contact you. This will be post #4. I'll bump it and then, hopefully, will be able to do so.
Marilyn

Post by Marilyn »

Bump
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

I would not password protect a forum. It is less secure than permissions and can be forgotten, which becomes annoying for you and the user.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Marilyn

Post by Marilyn »

I was able to send you a pm.
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

stevemaury wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:00 pm I would not password protect a forum. It is less secure than permissions and can be forgotten, which becomes annoying for you and the user.
I use the password as added redundancy. The option is there after all to use. And the password is only one word.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”