Every bloody time

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
heresolong

Every bloody time

Post by heresolong » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:34 am

For the record, I'm not an IT guy. I built and maintain our website based on reading a book on HTML almost twenty years ago. I don't change stuff because I don't want to learn the new coding. About every year or so I have to update the phpbb. Every time it goes to hell.

Case in point.

1) I download the automatic updater file. 3.2.0 t0 3.2.2
2) I upload the install and vendor directories as directed using Filezilla FTP
3) I access the install directory which tells me it needs to do this or that
4) I allow it to do this or that.
5) It tells me I can proceed to the ACP, but won't, but I remember that I have to delete the install folder.
6) I delete the install folder
7) I still have no access to a message board of any sort. Blank screen.

Link to message board http://www.combatveterans.com/phpbb/index.php

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

John connor

Re: Every bloody time

Post by John connor » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:28 am

Your first mistake was using the automatic update. Don't use it. Why it's still there I don't know, but I heard it was broken.

Read this. https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ating-32x/

heresolong

Post by heresolong » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:49 am

So I just realized that as I was getting ready to do the full upgrade since the Auto Upgrade is apparently broken but continues to be the first one you see when you need to upgrade, up to and including my Message Board giving me a link to it, I got to the point where I was supposed to delete everything but ... from my server and I hadn't done a backup. I had all the files selected so I did a quick backup. Except for the files I wasn't supposed to delete since I didn't have them selected. Then I did the upgrade. So those folders (images, files, store) are apparently gone. F(*&^%$#@. I am so sick of this. I get a new update from iTunes about once a month or so. I click the Update button and it updates. Meanwhile I have yet to have done an update of phpbb that didn't turn into a freaking nightmare. I get it, it's my fault for trying to run a stinking message board without being a computer whizz but it shouldn't be this difficult. And now we don't have a message board again.

heresolong

Post by heresolong » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:51 am

Oh, and just for the record, when I went to do this Filezilla asked if I wanted to upgrade my software and I clicked Upgrade and now I am running new Filezilla software.

Do I sound grumpy? Maybe just a little.

heresolong

Post by heresolong » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:54 am

Well, when I go into the Images folder it still appears to have some stuff, stuff like avatars, so there's that. Maybe I didn't lose everything. I don't know where all the other

I still don't have a message board, however.

Is there anyone around who does this for pay? I will happily, at this point, pay someone to get it back for me.

heresolong

Re: Every bloody time [SOLVED]

Post by heresolong » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:04 am

I have no idea. I restored what backup I had, it still didn't work (partial backup or something), I did the install again using full install files, I deleted the Install folder as well as "purged the cache by deleting the install and the production folder from the cache folder. also , delete any of the migration files from the folder named store." from Lumpy on one of the threads,

viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2469451#p14996051

and this time it worked. I'm back. I also had to change the mysql line to mysqli to get the database to not time out, but that was earlier.

I am now in a better mood.

Until next time.

PS Last time (or was it two times ago) that I had serious issues Robert (Lumpy Burgertushie) saved me then with his advice also. It doesn't seem like you can go wrong doing what he says.

John connor

Post by John connor » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:27 am

Did you read this by chance? viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2453611

Next time always, ALWAYS backup your public_html and database. In fact, you should be doing that periodically. In your host's cPanel there should be a backup wizard. Also, your host may make 24 hour backups so if anything goes to crap you can have them restore it withen 24 hours. If you wait too long your current mess up will over write the good backup with your host. It's always better to periodically backup things yourself. I store my backups in an encrypted SFX archive created by 7 Zip and that file gets stored at Box.com, my home FTP, two computers and on a DVD/RW disk.

If you ever get hacked and the website becomes defaced you'll be glad you have a backup. For me, I can restore the whole lot withen 30 minutes or less.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”