After you have test your 3.1 in 3.2 is it possible just to upgrade the database ?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
ouiouiphoto

After you have test your 3.1 in 3.2 is it possible just to upgrade the database ?

Post by ouiouiphoto »

Hello

I plan to migrate my 3.1 forum in 3.2. My plan is to make a copy of my 3.1 forum in a test forum. The 3.1 forum has is own satabase. The copy has is is own database also. After i will follow the migation procedure on the test environement, test the extension, test the thème, etc. . So i will have at the end a 3.1 forum running and a 3.2 forum in test working.

To make the final migration is it possible to close the 3.1 forum. Make a backup of the Database and and just restore it in the 3.2 database and open the 3.2 to all ? Or the 3.1 database and 3.2 database schema are différent and modified during the migration process ?

Thanks
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: After you have test your 3.1 in 3.2 is it possible just to upgrade the database ?

Post by stevemaury »

They are different.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
theZelot

Re: After you have test your 3.1 in 3.2 is it possible just to upgrade the database ?

Post by theZelot »

ouiouiphoto... thank you for the post I have been tasked with upgrading the forums for our company as well and am following the methodology you are using as too.

stevenmuary... succinct answer. but like ouioui I was hoping for more.

I am planning on getting the entire upgrade set up in my test environment and then migrating the old data to the new DB.
I'm running mySQL 5.56 phpBB 3.2.2 and the older version is 3.1ish

Are you saying I will have to have two different versions running simultaneously? Surely the design team took this into account and put together a migration map of some kind? Or am I just wishful thinking and all the old data (useful BI and user Q&A) is just going in the dustbin?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

both of you are making this way more difficult than it needs to be.

make backups of the database and the files of your current board. then simply follow the upgrade instructions exactly and in order and you will be fine.

if, by some chance, something should go wrong then you have the backups and can be back to the beginning in a short time.

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... upgrade31/

luck,
robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
ouiouiphoto

Post by ouiouiphoto »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:10 pm both of you are making this way more difficult than it needs to be.
make backups of the database and the files of your current board. then simply follow the upgrade instructions exactly and in order and you will be fine.
Thanks for your answer

For me you are a bit optimistic ;) look at the migration procedure. Deactivate the style, deactivate extension that are not compliant, etc. So at the end you i will have a 3.2 forum but that will be slightly different of what i have today.

So i have first of all to validate the 3.2 forum prior to go in production. I have a specific style that i have customized. So just to update the style i have to repeat manually all the modifications on the 3.2 version of the style. The style exist in 3.2 and hopefully i have documented all the modifications i have made. But this has to be done. I have also a very important extension that is abandoned and that i was obliged to customized because there was a bug. So i will have to validate that this extension is working on 3.2 and if not i will have to adapt it.

So i cannot just decide to migrate the forum without having validated all the functions in a test environment. When the test environment will be ready and because, as far as i understand, the database are different it will not be possible just to migrate the data from 3.1 to this new 3.2. So i will have to stop the forum, Make a backup, redo all the migration procedure, modify all the files, remove some extension, replace by new ones if exist, etc, etc and go live on the new forum. And if all this take 8 hours the forum will be off 8 hours.

It is not a big deal but it has to be done ;)
ouiouiphoto

Post by ouiouiphoto »

theZelot wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:49 pmI am planning on getting the entire upgrade set up in my test environment and then migrating the old data to the new DB.
So if i understand well this will not be possible because the schema of 3.1 and 3.2 are different
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

well, if you insist on doing it on your test server first, then yes, after you have it all working you can import the new database over the top of the old one on the server. it is not technically "migrating" the data. what happens is that when you import the database from the test server to the live server it drops all the old tables and recreates them with the new ones. that is the main reason to be sure and have a full backup of the database just in case.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
ouiouiphoto

Post by ouiouiphoto »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:22 pm well, if you insist on doing it on your test server first, then yes, after you have it all working you can import the new database over the top of the old one on the server. it is not technically "migrating" the data. what happens is that when you import the database from the test server to the live server it drops all the old tables and recreates them with the new ones. that is the main reason to be sure and have a full backup of the database just in case.
Thanks
david63

Post by david63 »

ouiouiphoto wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:19 am
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:22 pm well, if you insist on doing it on your test server first, then yes, after you have it all working you can import the new database over the top of the old one on the server. it is not technically "migrating" the data. what happens is that when you import the database from the test server to the live server it drops all the old tables and recreates them with the new ones. that is the main reason to be sure and have a full backup of the database just in case.
Thanks
But remember that if you do this you will loose any new members and posts that have occurred during the period from when you took your "test" copy up to the point where you copy the test database back over to the live database.

To mitigate the problems with your style you could make it a "child" style of prosilver - that way you would have minimal changes to make when updating.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
ouiouiphoto

Post by ouiouiphoto »

david63 wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:35 am But remember that if you do this you will loose any new members and posts that have occurred during the period from when you took your "test" copy up to the point where you copy the test database back over to the live database.

Thanks for the reminder. It was clear for me ;)
ouiouiphoto

Post by ouiouiphoto »

So what i plan to do finaly.

1) Copy the prod 3.1 to test 3.1
2) Migrate test 3.1 to Test 3.2
3) Change all that has to be changed and test. When this test 3.2 work as i want....
4) Stop prod 3.1
5) Migrate prod 3.1 to prod 3.2
6) Copy files of test 3.2 to prod 3.2 (theme, extensions mainly)
7) Open prod 3.2

This sould work....I hope ;)
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Not necessary. As Robert said, you are making this way too hard. But suit yourself.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
ouiouiphoto

Post by ouiouiphoto »

stevemaury wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:17 pm Not necessary. As Robert said, you are making this way too hard. But suit yourself.
Probably but i don't launch a migration if i'm note sure that at the end my users have the same functions than before. And because of ABD extension and customized theme i cannot be sure so i test before.

Thanks for the support ;)
theZelot

Post by theZelot »

ouiouiphoto wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:02 am So what i plan to do finaly.

1) Copy the prod 3.1 to test 3.1
2) Migrate test 3.1 to Test 3.2
3) Change all that has to be changed and test. When this test 3.2 work as i want....
4) Stop prod 3.1
5) Migrate prod 3.1 to prod 3.2
6) Copy files of test 3.2 to prod 3.2 (theme, extensions mainly)
7) Open prod 3.2

This sould work....I hope ;)
I think maybe the other two posters may not have bosses and QA departments that need to follow test and release version procedures and are able to work directly with their production environment and not get yelled at when it all goes kerflewey ;) . This is the exact same procedure I have to follow.

Thank You robert and steve. I really appreciate you taking time to help us ( me ) out. My biggest concern was there would be different schema and sp's that would fail on FK's, PK's or missing tables/columns/data etc... when I move data to my new environment. Seems like there won't be.

good luck ouioui.
ouiouiphoto

Post by ouiouiphoto »

theZelot wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:12 pm good luck ouioui.

Thanks. I have not started yet ;) I will do it in the next 3 month. There is no emergency for me

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”