Maximum usage of font colour in a single post

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
dragsamou

Re: Maximum usage of font colour in a single post

Post by dragsamou »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.0
What is your board's URL? http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/index.php
Who do you host your board with? OVH
How did you install your board? Someone else installed my board for me
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Updating that specific post using font colour
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL(i) 5.5.55-0+deb7u1-log
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Was using font colour till I've noticed that I couldn't add anymore after using 826 Font Colour (Blue and Red).
Please describe your problem. I have created a huge post that serves as a database and I use font colour as well as bold text. I update this post on a constant basis, therefore using more font colour and more bold text. It seems that now, I can't use any font colour any longer without deleting previous ones. In Post Settings the Maximum font size per post is set to 0. Is there's a way that I can use unlimited font colour and bold text on that single post without having to delete previous one, which is not an option for the purpose of that post. The Maximum characters per post/message: The number of characters allowed within a post/private message. Set to 0 for unlimited characters.
Is already set to Unlimited "0".
Generated by SRT Generator
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

dragsamou wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:51 amHow did you install your board? Someone else installed my board for me
Was that a host one-click install or other method? If it was a host install that may be part of the problem.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

The string data type for posts_text is mediumtext which can contain 16,777,215 characters.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
dragsamou

Post by dragsamou »

Mick wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:37 am
dragsamou wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:51 amHow did you install your board? Someone else installed my board for me
Was that a host one-click install or other method? If it was a host install that may be part of the problem.
The board was installed years ago. It's just the first time that I use a post with so much text and font colour, it was working all fine 2 days ago till I've noticed that font was not working anymore (except if I use it in in one subsection at the beginning, it will be working, but then the last part of the text at the end of the post will remove at that time previous font colour that's used to be there as you can see on the post).
stevemaury wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:03 pm The string data type for posts_text is mediumtext which can contain 16,777,215 characters.
Point is that I can add still text with no limit so far, as I do it almost everyday, it's just the font colour function that stopped once it reached -+ 826 apparently.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

When you color text, it adds a lot of characters to post_text. For example, if you color the text "Deleted" it appears in post_text like this:

Code: Select all

<COLOR color="#BF80FF"><s>[color=#BF80FF]</s>Deleted<e>[/color]</e></COLOR>
So, every font color adds 68 characters to the post. So, 826 of them add about 56,000 characters. You may be bumping up against a limit having to do with BBCodes, I don't know.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
dragsamou

Post by dragsamou »

stevemaury wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:41 pm When you color text, it adds a lot of characters to post_text. For example, if you color the text "Deleted" it appears in post_text like this:

Code: Select all

<COLOR color="#BF80FF"><s>[color=#BF80FF]</s>Deleted<e>[/color]</e></COLOR>
So, every font color adds 68 characters to the post. So, 826 of them add about 56,000 characters. You may be bumping up against a limit having to do with BBCodes, I don't know.
I do use the other version of color text which is shorter with the number of characters. While the last thing I am, he's being a Phbb technician or expert, I try to have a logical approach to my question. My Maximum characters per post/message is set to 0 (Unlimited) meaning that I could add as many characters as I want in a single post. I don't have an issue with the number of characters being used in a single post, I've just created a post with 4500000 characters right now, and it's working all fine with the number of characters, but the same problem shows up meaning that since I've copied/pasted the same previous text, for the second part not a single BBC code (Font Colour) is working (except the bold text and font size):
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 40&t=10078

Therefore the problem is indeed with a bumping limit of BBC code (Font Colour) not a problem with characters. So, my question remains the same, where I can find out what's the maximum BBC codes that can be used in a single post ? Question 2, while I have eventually reached a limit of 1000 (for example), is there a way to prevent that limitation and to extend it to 0 (Unlimited), as I can't find in the ACP any function like Maximum BBC codes per post/message. As my post on my forum represents hundreds of hours of work, I would love to find a solution as I will need to add a lot more BBC code on a constant basis, therefore knowing my limit and eventually having to split that topic in 2 parts (which is not an ideal solution), but if it's the only one, I will have no choice.

Thanks for the experts to try to either answer my questions or find a solution for it.
EVO_VV

Post by EVO_VV »

If it is an undocumented limit on the amount of BBCodes allowed for a post you could check that by starting a new post.
In that post enter your BBCode for the colour of a single short word.
Then copy that line onto a new line, copy those two lines onto a new line, copy those 4 lines onto a new line etc. etc.
About 10 or 11 iterations of that should give you about a thousand lines.
Then you can check to see if there is any point at which they do not work as you have observed on your site.
If it does fail at some point this will give you the limit or if it does not then maybe try another couple of iterations of the above to give you several thousand lines.
If it still does not fail then the issue is probably not a limit on the BBCodes.
dragsamou

Post by dragsamou »

EVO_VV wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:17 am If it is an undocumented limit on the amount of BBCodes allowed for a post you could check that by starting a new post.
In that post enter your BBCode for the colour of a single short word.
Then copy that line onto a new line, copy those two lines onto a new line, copy those 4 lines onto a new line etc. etc.
About 10 or 11 iterations of that should give you about a thousand lines.
Then you can check to see if there is any point at which they do not work as you have observed on your site.
If it does fail at some point this will give you the limit or if it does not then maybe try another couple of iterations of the above to give you several thousand lines.
If it still does not fail then the issue is probably not a limit on the BBCodes.
Yes, you read my mind, I'm on my way to try to do that testing. I will post about the result shortly.

EDIT: I have performed that test (you can see the result in the link posted above).
There's indeed a limit for the usage of BBC code Font Colour and it's 1000.

So knowing that, is there's a way to unlift that limit and to extend it to 0 (Unlimited) ?

And while I'm at it I will do the same test with maximum usage of Bold Text. I will post about the result shortly.
There's indeed a limit for the usage of BBC code Bold Text and it's 1000.

And while I'm at it I will do the same test with maximum usage of Font Color + Bold Text. I will post about the result shortly.
There's indeed a limit for the usage of BBC code Bold Text + Font Colour and it's 2000 (1000 of each).

And while I'm at it I will do the same test with maximum usage of Font size with and without bold text. I will post about the result shortly.
There's indeed a limit for the usage of BBC code Font Size (with or without bold text) and it's 1000. Therefore in Post Settings Maximum font size per post: Maximum font size allowed in a post. Set to 0 for unlimited font size. This is a wrong statement as it's limited to 1000

And while I'm at it I will do the same test with maximum usage of Font Color + Bold Text + Font Size (without bold text). I will post about the result shortly.
There's indeed a limit for the usage of BBC code Bold Text + Font Colour + Font Size (without bold text) and it's 3000 (1000 of each).
Last edited by dragsamou on Mon May 21, 2018 6:55 am, edited 6 times in total.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

dragsamou wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:42 am Yes, you read my mind, I'm on my way to try to do that testing. I will post about the result shortly.

EDIT: I have performed that test (you can see the result in the link posted above).

So knowing that, is there's a way to unlift that limit and to extend it to 0 (Unlimited) ?
Try this extension

https://github.com/s9e/phpbb-ext-nolimits
Last edited by 3Di on Mon May 21, 2018 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
EVO_VV

Post by EVO_VV »

If it is BBCode related then it will probably be for ALL BBCodes.
Colour + Bold + etc. = Total
Which it seems cannot be more than 1000
dragsamou

Post by dragsamou »

3Di wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:06 am
dragsamou wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:42 am Yes, you read my mind, I'm on my way to try to do that testing. I will post about the result shortly.

Try this extension

https://github.com/s9e/phpbb-ext-nolimits
Thanks, then comes the noob part as i have never added an extension on PHBB or anywhere else. I have Download and unzip the zip files No Limits, I have opened it with WinRAR, so now I do have 2 folders Nolimits on my computer (One with simply s9e while the other is with config, composer.json, License, listener, Readme.md). What I'm supposed to do next, I've read the Installing Extensions tutorial, but I don't have any FTP client or even know how to use one ?
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

dragsamou wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:16 am Thanks, then comes the noob part as i have never added an extension on PHBB or anywhere else.
... ok.
dragsamou wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:51 am How did you install your board? Someone else installed my board for me
Time to ask that soul?
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

For how to install an extension see, Installing Extensions.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Was suggested in post 6, horses to water metinks.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”