I attempted to change the Terms of Service

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
larkyv

I attempted to change the Terms of Service

Post by larkyv » Sun May 20, 2018 4:37 pm

by removing only a couple of words from the /language/en/ucp.php. I edited on the server as I always have in the past, and saved the file as UTF8 (though there's no mention of BOM on my hosted Unix server). The registration page now refuses to load:

Information

The requested page could not be found.

I have restored the copy of the original ucp.php I made - same error. I have uploaded a fresh ucp.php from my downloaded archive of phpBB 3.2.2 - same error, even after clearing the browser cache and hard-refreshing the browser. I have also edited a fresh copy of the ucp.php in notepad ++, saved as UTF8 no BOM, and uploaded that, no change.

This is, btw, a Softaculous install of phpBB 3.2.2... If anyone can help me out here?

[Edited to add: this also affects Login as well, so I can't get into the ACP either.]

larkyv

Re: I attempted to change the Terms of Service

Post by larkyv » Sun May 20, 2018 5:07 pm

It's not an emergency - I restored last night's backup so the forum's okay now. I just won't make changes until someone can tell me how to prevent this in future! I used the instructions from https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... thout-bom/ - and since it said my version of notepad++ now calls "UTF8 without BOM" just UTF8, so I thought I'd be safe.... I do have a query in with my host provider about their UTF8 encoding, to see if it's with BOM.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun May 20, 2018 5:33 pm

first, you should replace all of the files with ones from here except for the config.php file.

if you have any attachments or avatars or other custom images be sure to backup those folders first.

then, when editing the language files, you have to be very careful.
for instance, if you wanted to edit this line in common.php language file;
'ACCOUNT_ALREADY_ACTIVATED' => 'Your account has already been activated.',

you have to leave the apostrophes as they are and only edit the text between them. if you include an apostrophe in the text, you have
to put a \ before it.

for instance: 'ACCOUNT_ALREADY_ACTIVATED' => 'We don\'t care.',

and remember to leave the comma at the end if it has one.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

larkyv

Post by larkyv » Sun May 20, 2018 5:51 pm

Yes, I knew about escaping quotes and other special characters - but all I did was delete a couple of words, no other changes.... I'm thinking that it's probably having saved the file inside the edit window on the control panel - that's why I've asked the host provider about the encoding.

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Sun May 20, 2018 6:06 pm

In addition to what Robert said above, don't use the cPanel editor to change files. Download the file and edit it locally before uploading it and purging the forums cache.

Dreamweaver and Frontpage are not good choices when it comes to file editors (find out why). See Tools needed to set up and customise phpBB for suggestions.

larkyv

Post by larkyv » Sun May 20, 2018 6:40 pm

When I edit locally I use notepad++, have for a very long time. For years I've used the cpanel editor for file editing - but not for phpBB since version 2 something as I haven't had a phpBB install since - um - 2000 I guess. It works fine for css, html, and php in general.

I used to use TopStyle Pro, but they've changed it so much it's not worth the effort for the 3 or 4 sites I still run.

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Mon May 28, 2018 8:24 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 5:33 pm
if you include an apostrophe in the text, you have
to put a \ before it.
If you really use a apostrophe , there is no need to escape it. But when you use a single quote 'instead, you need the escape character.
See the comment at the beginning of language/en/common.php:
common.php wrote:// Some characters you may want to copy&paste:
// ’ » “ ” …
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”